Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop rare photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy junkie, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If memory serves, there were two almost identical '55's built by Don Hardy Race Cars. They had serious chassis, real roll bars and stout big blocks. They were not just cosmetic posers. One of them was used as Bob Falfa's '55 in American Graffitti.

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

Great thread. I learned a few new things!

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Better check the valve lash...........

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. pdc

pdc

I heard that this '55 was the same one in American Graffiti. " I'ts running a little fat. I think I'll change the jets."

5. Midnight340

Midnight340

So, Sscott55, is that Burt's Burger Bowl or some other place that no longer exists??? I have been gone from Santa Fe for a number of years.... always wondered about that. Airport Road has changed a bit, hasn't it?

6. seret

seret

WHat the hell! does the guy that owns the 31 play for the Oakland Raiders.... GAAAAY!!!! why not just smash it with a hammer.

7. Midnight340

Midnight340

If the car is still in Santa Fe, you gotta understand that it's not on the same planet that you live on!

8. Midnight340

Midnight340

But if it was me, I'd have it back in "movie trim" before another photo was ever taken!!!!!!!!

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is one of my all time favorite car flicks !
    I also got a chance to see the car at the York Reunion and saw and met many of the greats in the car racing world !
    Best of all got to see and meet "Linda Vaughn" Miss Hurst there too . She might be alittle older , but you can't make the mistake as to who she is . She's the same as she was years ago and stil acts like she did 30 years ago , just older like all of us .

10. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Yes, Burt's Burger Bowl is still here. Not much else though lol...
    And yes Airport Road has changed. There is no way you could do a 110+ mph pass with out running into the back of a dazed subaru driver.

It seems the car scene here has died.....Still some cool lowriders in Espanola though.

11. Dyce

Dyce

Cool pictures!!! I love that movie. I never really thought about it before, but anyone know what year was it filmed?
    Jeff

12. I think it was around 1971,, HRP

13. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

You know I vist H.A.M.B. at least twice a day and rarely do I see something that I feel the need to comment on but this post is GREAT on of the few movies that I enjoy anytime thanks for the history ....

www.indyhiwinders.com

14. Killer thread.
    I'm just glad the whereabouts of the coupe are known and it is inside. It can allways be "restored".

15. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

The extra care for accuracy is why TLBT remains one of the best "car flicks" ever. Yeah, we can all find something, but think about it... Changing jets?, Changing the pumpkin at the track?, dressing the "camera car" so the tunnel ram carb is in the shot? Shit, most so called car movies can't even get the same car from frame to frame! Even the "rollover" 55 in American Graffitti exposed its stock underbelly for way too long (though I'll give Lucas big credit for sound effects from both cars).

My wife thinks TLBT is the dumbest movie ever..."uh is there a plot?"
    If you have to explain...well.

Thanks for the photos! I drive through Dime Box frequently.

16. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Dam I remember seeing this movie for the first time when I was 4 back in 1986, it was KCOP I believe, since then until around 10-12 years ago I was looking all over the place to find a VHS copy. Thanks for the pics, I love hearing the whine of that M-22. This is by far to closest to reality car movie that was ever filmed in my opinion, even though the plots kinda wierd. About the coupe, its good to see it around but WTF happened? How could owner of it fall victim to todays trends and do that to that car???? UGHHHH!!!

17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Oh BTW thanks for posting the pics! Keep em coming if you still have more!

18. slammed

slammed

Great thread, y'all.

19. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

Yeah the plot is kinda wierd,I've noticed this movie is embraced by to totally different communities:the high falootin' artsy fartsy film critics group that raves the greatness of the movie and us,the hot rodders.One of those film critics made a comment that stuck with me concerning the ending[paraphrased]"The film burning up in the last scene at the end of the movie is a representation of the end of an era"hippies,crosscountry street racing,muscle cars,whatever....you fill in the blank,but it was 1971 and it was the last gasp of the musclecar era,so thats how I choose to see the ending

20. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

[​IMG]

21. forty1

forty1

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ya I forgot about the part where the guy in the GTO picks up those two soldiers (until i refreshed my memory reading wikipedia) and tells them the story about how he won the 55. Either way I agree its one of those movies that keep you guessing.

23. Large_911

Large_911

Excellent - thanks for posting!!

24. tiresmoke!

tiresmoke!

My favorite movie, bar none.....

It's good to know that the original car is still around, and in it's proper form.

The mere thought of banging gears in that beast gives me damned chills....

25. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

26. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

Richard Ruth car builder 1994-[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baron likes this.
  27. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

28. Two Lane Black Top and Easy Rider, true to the times and the people.

29. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Awsome movie, and nice pictures. I had a few you didnt post, but my computer crashed awhile back and I lost them. I`ll have to do some searching. Yes, this `55 was same one that was in Graffiti. They never showed the motor in Graffiti though. Due to the fact, there was no big blocks in `62...this car ran low 10`s in the 1/4, in `72 also...It was in the movie Wonder Bug also. But it was just parked in an alley, if i remember. Just a couple second glimpse of it...

...Another great car flic is Hot Rod, it has a `41 Willys in it...

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

THANKS JALOPY JUNKIE, I had not seen a lot of these!

HA, you said it! Normal people think this is the dumbest movie ever! I've always thought of it as a docu-drama of sorts. When I watch this movie, it sets an awesome vibe for the rest of the day.....
    I think I relayed this in another TLBT thread, but it bears repeating.....YEARS ago, James Taylor was on the Tonight Show and the film came up, I was blown away when Taylor seemed to actually be embarrassed about it?! Huh?

"She's gonna burn you man"