Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two kids on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. It's bummer that you didn't take back your records, but as they Say "That's Racing"
    The camaraderies, the fun and anticipation of giving it a go after all these years, and then the thrill of giving it your all are worth as much or more than any record you might have got. Remember, records are made to be broken, but memories are not!

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Sorry bout the motor Dean. Sounds like a great trip though:)

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Dean, Getting there means you succeeded. Bringing home a record is simply a bonus. Congratulations is due regardless of how you view the trip : - ).

SpeedWeek ran three courses and multiple runs were de riguer. We did a return run on Monday morning. Got certified. Screwed around for most of the day and decided to change class and ran that afternoon. The wait on the short course wasn't more than 45 min. max.

Remember I said in an earlier post I'll do it on my own nickel? Well, we did. About $2000 in nickels but with two record certs it was worth every penny.

4. A record cert would have been nice, but this picture makes all the time and "nickles" worth it. Didn't get the result we were lookig for, but no one had more fun, or brought more history than we did!

[​IMG]

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

Great shot Dean. A few years ago John Force was asked what his drag racing was all about. His reply was "Its all about friends and memories". Im sure you have a ton of both and you've just added a whole bunch more.

Now that you've got the Honda salted are you going to replace the piston and bring it to El Mirage and give it a dusting?

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Aww... sorry for the disappointment. I hope you're up for trying again.

7. Great story! Love that bike. ;)

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just readin' back through this thread... One of my favorites by far, even if it is about bikes instead of Hot Rods. Thank you for that Dean!
    The occasion is finally getting a couple minutes to work on my own S90! Remembering this thread, I couldn't help but bring it home earlier this year. It was going to the great smelter in the sky otherwise. It'll never be the fire breathing race bike you guys built, but like any hot rodder I can't just leave well enough alone - so mini cafe racer it is! After last years adventures, did you guys ever get it back to running condition?

9. At 10:30 this morning, the Lowe Brothers bike went to her final resting place. I met Greg Sharp at the NHRA Museum and placed the bike on display. At 45 years old, she is officially retired.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. She's in good company.

[​IMG]

11. but wait....what about that pipe ? .....kinda looks stock looking ?....(and since I own a S90...) just wondered....

12. I missed this thread somehow, just found it today and read it all the way through. Truly inspiring.

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I think it really great that you got those folks to "store" your bike until the next time you're ready to "hit the salt!"

Very clever!

It truly is all about the people and fun times and memories.

14. If your S 90 has a megaphone like that, then it sure isn't "stock". Originally we ran an ultra rare CR 110 works megaphone. A couple of chrome jobs later, it finally disintergrated. I had a cone rolled and duplicated the dimensions of the original as a replacement. A stock S 90 muffler looks nothing like it.

15. This is the cone I had rolled to the exact dimensions of the works CR 110 tuned megaphone.

[​IMG]

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

The "company" should consider itself lucky to have her with them.

17. Agreed. I wonder if all those cars and bikes swap war stories at night when the lights go down and the doors locked?

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Dean, Congrats on the museum stint, but I sure hope that it roars again at some point! Care to share the dimensions on that megaphone? I neber quite gpt mine done a year and a half ago and was never very happy with the meg I made length wise.

19. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Incredible story thank you Dean.You and your brother sure know how to have fun and it sounds like you don't quit enjoying life

20. The dimensions of the megaphone are: 24" total length, stock head pipe dia on the small end, largest dia. is 2 9/16", with the reverse cone being 7/16" in length coming down to 2 1/4" dia.

If you need one rolled, the only guy I found that could roll a cone that small in diameter was Gary Williams at Aircone Engineering in Henderson, Nv.