Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two kids on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

Great to hear stories like that. Its too bad more don't go to the salt without thinking they have to go 200+. I finally dragged my bike to Bonneville in 2007. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box and poor as a churchmouse. But I took a 47 year old Norton trailered by a 30 year old RV to Bonneville and came home with a record cert. in my back pocket. Whatever it cost to get there and back was more than made up for when the impound tech guy handed me that cert!

[​IMG][/IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

That's really awesome!

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Damn Dean, you sure have some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Frank

4. Yes, you get it. My brother and I pooled our money for gas, food and a room in Wendover. Were broke when we got home, but we had as much fun as any one else on the salt in '69, and didn't break 100mph. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good job with the old Norton!

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I wonder how fast my minibike would go? Is there a minibike class?

6. Great read. Thanks Dean.

7. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

I would love to take my kids there just to watch. Maybe when the rpu is finised it might be able to get in the 50 mph club if they have one that slow. Thanks for the post of some more bonniville history.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any day you get to read a Dean Lowe story is a great day. Thanks for sharing that with us.

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Amen to that.

Dean, El Mirage is this weekend. Two day meet. Any chance we might see you? The Road Runners will have around 8 entries.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great, look what you have gone and done! We now we have another HAMB God, I jusy promoted you from HAMB hero!

11. skwurl

skwurl

Vey cool story. Thanks for sharing it

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

13. whid

whid

wow,that story is just too cool.love the pics.............................dave

14. Where ever would you find such a small blower?
    I´d love one for my Kreidler!

15. Dean, I got the front wheel wrapped up complete with the rim and Pirelli "Speedmaster" style tire last night. Much more than I originally figured I would have available.
    I working on the rear hub for it right now.
    I think I'm as excited to be part of this as you are :D

16. 18n57

18n57

Cool story...brings back memories. I spent a lot of time on a much slower s90 about the same time. Hope you get it back to B'ville..

17. You've got a Kreidler!! Those are awesome motors. A Kreidler from Germany held one of the records we broke.

I couldn't tell you who made the little blower. A friend on my dad's, George Austin, was obsessed with small air cooled engines. He was always playing with MV Agustas, and all kinds of little Italian bike motors. He loaned me the blower, and about the time I started working on mounts and manifolds, we got the bug to build the laydown streamliner, so I eventually gave the blower back. Old George is gone now, so I can't ask him what it was.

18. Don, that is awesome. Less than 24 hours from talking about restoring the bike,and you already found the exact front wheel combination I need. Damn, I need to put you on the case for getting my old RPU back!!

19. You never know..........................

20. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Dang Dean, I wish you would pack a little recorder around for a while and get more of your stories on the record. I want the book as soon as it's done!

And lets get the bike rebuild thread going too - I think it will be cool to post here.

21. firingorder1

firingorder1

You are in the right part of the world. You need to find an Aisin (I think thats the right spelling) blower. This is on a Honda 50. There are a couple of Dutch sites and I can't remember them but if you do a search you will find them.

[​IMG][/IMG]

22. :eek::eek: OMG! Thanks for that!! I´m all over this!

23. That's impressive! Makes me wish I'd stayed with it. I'd like to hear that one!

24. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Very cool. . . Thanks for sharing!

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

This is a VanVeen Kreidler I raced in the late 70s/early 80s. Wish I'd kept it. It clocked 112 mph at the Jurby road course in the Isle of Man. Could have been a lot of fun on the salt.

[​IMG][/IMG]

26. Attached Files:

27. gotra66

gotra66

thats really neat. I have always wanted to run on the salt. However, like many others, I'll never get around to it.

28. the S90 used a manual clutch with a 4 speed, while the Trial 90 (CT90) used an automatic clutch and a 2 speed splitter. The earlier (66 and older)CT200 Trail 90 used a pushrod motor, not the OHC of the S90 and later CT90.

29. Exactly right Don.

30. Keep us posted Dean. I have access to a bunch of Honda stuff from when I cleaned out an old dealership. An old friend of mine has what's left, seems like there may be some wheels and hubs.....but they are in Oklahoma and would probably cost more to ship than finding them in SoCal and buying them. Let me know if you need specifics.....sorry, no blowers.