Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Two deals in one week... things definitely changing for me... and others!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm pleased to report that I have made agreements with two fellow HAMBers on car transactions; one involves a trade and is complete as far as paperwork and we're just waiting anxiously for our respective cars to arrive, and the other is waiting on some final review and pending funding from an insurance company but I'm confident it will happen, too.
    Both fellows seem to be great guys of their word with a well grounded background in knowing and building hot rods. Just the conversations were a treasure; that we ended up making deals was just a bonus.
    From my end, here's what is leaving:
    IMG_3571.JPG This one is somewhat pending but I feel will work out:
    IMG_4992.JPG This one should be on the way by now:
    jack 7.jpg
    jack 4.jpg
    Hopefully all of us will be pleased with the deals made to swap around these treasures.
    I'm looking forward to the arrival of the sedan delivery but expect it will take awhile to get used to the bright green!:D Like all of us; I want to hear it run and experience driving it. I'm sure the other guys feel the same about their cars. The guy getting the cabriolet has already made changes in his mind and bought some other 1936 Ford parts from me to help with the transformation. Nice guy that I am; I did not charge him any freight... I packed the parts in the car before shipping!!:D:D
    Once again I want to thank the fellow HAMBers for being honest and fair to deal with and I also want to thank all the rest of y'all for putting up with me for so long!;):D:D

2. Congrats!
    Wish some of your good juju would come my way. I need to sell/trade my roadster.
    Shameless plug.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hey, maybe you could have a TV show called "really goood wheeler dealer" - congrats on deals

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  4. Glad that it's all working out for you, Al. The HAMB is a special place.

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Absolutely!
    Special and... it puts up with me!!;):D:D
    Thanks,
    Al

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad it went well with you. Makes it so more enjoyable.:)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Great Deal, Al! That should free up a little room.

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GOODBYE SEDAN DELIVERY, HELLO CABRIOLET!!!
    First let me say Al Casteen is one hell of a "stand up" guy. A true hot rodder , honest, fair and just a great guy to deal with.

I built the Sedan Deliv. about 12 years ago, I love the car, it's a blast to drive and it's part of the family. It's a "seat of your pants" hot rod, but due to some of my Wife's medical issues, we just need a bigger, smoother car.
    I contacted Al about a trade for his Cabriolet. And even though he really didn't want (or need) another car, after learning of my situation, said "let's do it". What a guy!
    For me, after many enjoyable phone conversations, this ended up meaning much more to me than just a couple guys trading cars. Dealing with Al was like dealing with an old friend!!!!
    Thank you Al.

PS Bonnie says: be happy Jack's favorite color is green...cuz mine is lavander:rolleyes:

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Apparently one can fool at least one fellow, and his girl!!;):D:D
    I'm not certain I really deserve the kind words above but I am honored that they were offered.:)
    I think the deal will work out just fine for both of us.
    I think my cabriolet will give them more room and a more gentle ride as well as a change of pace... and Jack just might not have to deal with the inherent blind spots that are part and parcel of driving a sedan delivery. After driving the sedan delivery for twelve years I bet it will take him a while to get used to being able to see around him a bit better... especially if the top is down!!;):D:D
    I, on the other hand, started out long ago building not a 32 sedan delivery but a 30 Ford tudor highboy that, like Jack's delivery; was pretty basic but I did have a few more gauges than Jack.:D
    It will be turning back the clock about 40 years but I think the delivery will be fun... and I've had plenty of practice over the years with using mirrors... did I tell y'all I was driving dump trucks for my Dad at 15?:eek: And using open and enclosed trailers to fetch new projects has been a staple of my hot rod fun so hopefully I'll quickly adapt to driving the delivery and not running over or into anybody. :D
    I'll find a new home for the delivery down the road but we all like to tweak a new treasure... most of us can't help it!;):D:D Bonnie has got me thinking with that comment about lavender.:eek::D
    Now that Jack and his Lady have honored me above, I sure hope they like that dang car when it gets there!! I also hope it doesn't let them down... anytime soon, especially!!:eek::eek::D:D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  10. Rckt98

Rckt98

What a great feel good story. Win win for everyone.

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, meant every word of it! You'll just have to resign yourself to the fact that you are one of the Good Guys. Sorry.

Driving a Sedan Deliv. is no problem with the convex mirror on the pass. side. The only trick is backing into a parking space. ALWAYS back in from the left side (turning left) so you can look out your window. If you back in from the right, you're basically backing in blind on both sides.

And trust me Al, the Cabriolet will never let me down...at least not acording to my 4 rules of hot rodding.

*If it doesn't run...make it run
    *If something is broken...stare at it awhile, then fix it
    *If you don't like something...modify it until you do
    *No matter how bad you screw something up, there is nothing that can't be done with the right tools, a frosty beverage and a pocket full of cuss words (and a cigar)

Thanks again Al

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^I'm starting to worry about Jack.:eek:
    I like to think that all my buyers over the years have been quite satisfied with the deals made and to my knowledge they have... at least no complaints ever got back to me that I remember. Hot rods are hot rods and while some have more intrinsic value due to year, make, body style, etc.; most of us have our own scales that we use to evaluate its potential value to us in terms of basic value but also value to us in the way we intend to use it and the fun we might enjoy with it.
    I have to say that Jack, and Bonnie, too, seem to be about some of the most satisfied folks I've dealt with and they haven't even managed to sit in the car yet! I sure hope it measures up in their eyes as I don't want them to be disappointed.
    Speaking of disappointed, we're having some unexpected issues with the shipping and I'm expecting an update this morning. Of course, I'm being particularly patient as I initially misunderstood the shipping plan from the shipper because he was explaining it in terms of "your car" and "Jack's car" without clarifying whether it was the car in VA or the car in NY!!:eek:
    The shipper was meaning one thing and I was thinking the opposite!:eek::D Thus when the driver called me I thought he had it backwards!:D:D The timing proved to be the perfect storm in terms of failed communication and by the time I understood the original plan; the driver had altered the schedule and was way up the road.:eek: I didn't feel quite so bad about it after speaking with Jack and realized he had made the same mistake!:rolleyes: Anyway, I hope we each get our cars soon but both are still waiting to be picked up when one was to leave on Wednesday.:mad: I'm not really mad as I feel I unwittingly caused the delay.:eek::(
    On another note, the deal on the Riviera fell through as the buyer got an unexpected offer of significant help in finishing a Riviera he already had in the works. He still thought my package was a great value but couldn't turn down the offer of considerable help that was going to greatly expedite finishing the car he had been working on; thus he wouldn't be needing mine to use in the interim as now the delay in finishing that car is going to be very short he hopes.
    That is great news for him and I'm happy he found a better solution. He said he would have sure loved having the two fours but for now he must focus on getting the other car on the road. I completely support that plan and don't mind the change in his plans.
    Anybody interested in a great deal on a great running 1965 Riviera with all bodywork completed and no rust with two professionally rebuilt carburetors that run great and idle sweetly at 500 rpm or less? Such a deal!!:D:D
    Guess I'll have to update the status on the ad... again.:D
    Opportunities!:D

13. catdad49

catdad49

It's sometimes scary when things go as planned, so you Both should be OK. Plan A, Plan B, ah ha Plan C!

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

After some confusing communications, I think the shipping is finally on track.
    The cabriolet left about 10AM headed north... I believe directly to deliver the car without picking up any other cars.
    IMG_5085.JPG BTW, I laid out all those Riviera parts for some pictures and found a lot of treasures I didn't know were in the boxes. One of neater finds was a spare hood ornament which I'm told is pretty pricey.
    IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5076.JPG All of the trick aluminum side trim for the body and doors seem to be present and in pretty good condition. Such a deal...

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Damn!!!! The shipper delivered the Cabriolet today and picked up the Sedan Deliv. I guess I'll have to change my avatar.:rolleyes:
    The rod is EVERYTHING Al said it was...and a lot more...I couldn't be happier! Now I just have to hope he likes my car nearly as much.;)

Al and I have spent hours on the phone together (old hot rodders have a lot in common to talk about) and rest assured, If you do a deal With Hamtown Al, you won't be disappointed...beyond honest discriptions. Even the parts I bought were NICER than described!

I want to thank Hamtown Al for doing the trade and for just being a great guy...and hopefully a friend for life.

And of course, we couldn't do it without the HAMB... Thank you.

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Goodbye cabriolet; hello Sedan Delivery!
    IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5091.JPG Looks like a hot rod to me!! This sure takes me back to an old 30 Ford hiboy tudor sedan that was my first complete build. It was initially as yellow as these wheels are green!! Hence the nickname assigned by my fellow club members of "Yellowbird." It was my daily driver for six years; maybe a little longer. Carried me to work, college, National Guard meetings, club meetings, and anywhere else I went. Had 65 Vette fuelie engine with solid lifters, etc. but fuelie unit replaced with 600 four barrel. Turbo 400 with 3.36 posi rear would fly!! Car weighed very little.
    I'm pleased with the car and look forward to getting to know it better. First thing I did was pull emergency brake because thought it was on... and it wasn't!:eek: Then I remembered that Jack told me the emergency brake release was a bit wonky!!:D:D I got it to let go and took a quick trip to show my granddaughter and her family. She thinks the Rat in the remote control car should be replaced with a teddy bear!:D:D I will before it gets to the HAMB but it is a cute little car... got to charge it up so can go driving tomorrow!:D
    That green on the side panels must have blown off in transit!:eek::D:D
    The wife likes it so we're off to a great start.;)
    I'm sure I'll be back out there shortly learning more about the car and how it operates.
    Just wanted to share that our trade seems to have worked well for both of us. Thank you to Jack and Bonnie for being such great folks to deal with.:) Win-win is always best!;)
    Gonna be fun but I think some more of that green is gonna blow off;):D:D.
    I'm thinking about that lavender Bonnie mentioned!;):eek::D
    Any suggestions for an alternate wheel color?
    Suggestions so far are fairly standard ones of either red or black.
    I'm thinking yellow!!:D
    Maybe a more muted color would give a different look... say maroon or butterscotch?
    HAMB not usually short on suggestions so look forward to them.
    Thanks,
    Al

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Can anybody tell me what's on back of the special hood ornament?

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It is the "Cat's ass!!"
    We played the National Anthem while I peeled off the many rod run stickers off the windshield.;)
    Looked like he was just back from Syracuse... again!!
    PS: Hope you fellows up that way will forgive my likely southern variation of the spelling!!:D:D

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5095.JPG I forgot to mention that Jack made me TWO new gas gauges!:D
    And I'm sure he spared no expense by using the best new free yardsticks Lowe's was giving away!!:D:D At least, I hope they were free.;)
    The headlights didn't want to work after the long ride on a trailer from NY but after Jack and I had a long discussion about occasional past problems and just what might be the problem; I found the obvious loose wire under the dash and fixed it;):D... dang rough roads turned off the lights on the little Ford!:D:D
    Auto parts store employees and customers really liked the car this morning.:)

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Keeping the green? ...or any personalizing plans yet?
    ....had to do a little creeping on you to come back and find this thread after seeing your pic in the truck thread, and have to say I really like the headliner in the ford wag you had for sale, after looking at that too:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Like the gas gauges. Made one for the T bucket, but only needed a paint stirring stick! Sounds like you're having Fun with it, Carp.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Have nothing against any of the colors mentioned, but what is the interior color? Maybe you could use that or a complimentary color? Don't mind me, just thinking out loud.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just how deep is that tank?

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Gas tank is custom made to hold 16 gallons.

Interior is basic black and gray. Jack said he has worn the old buckets out but not coming apart. They are black and gray, too.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once again, I'd like to thank Al for doing the trade...and for being a great guy to deal with.
    Looks like trade was a win-win to me too...glad you like the Sedan Deliv. If you run it the way it is, your buddies will be GREEN with envy. :D Seriously though, it looks good without the graphics and to make it "your own", my vote is for maroon.

Doing all the fluids (coolant, trans, rear end) on the Cabriolet right now and will get some pics (and change my avatar) once it's off the lift.

A teddy bear instead of the rat? How do expect to scare old ladies and little children with a teddy bear?:eek:
    What we're talking about is the matching R.C. Midget Race Car I included in the trade. It was my first attempt at a RC car, and it's built entirely from scratch (watched too many episodes of BattleBots). It came out looking pretty good, but is a lot slower than I expected... which was OK because I soon learned I was absolutly terrible at driving a RC car.
    Sorry Al, but I have to post pics of it with the Rat still in it. rat 1.jpg rat 2.jpg rat3.jpg rat 4.jpg

Maybe an explanation is needed here, "dog people" have Greyhound hood ornaments..."cat people" have chrome cats (with thier ass sticking up) hood ornaments.

You were expecting BILLET gas gauges?:)

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The length of the "high tech" gas gauges is because they go in at a 45 degree angle

27. catdad49

catdad49

Love the racer! The driver sure has his 'race' face on. Have you built others? If that's your first one, I know that I'd like to see more.

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I did manage to take the remote control car on a brief run. I also think I might have discovered a lot of Jack’s driving problems... right and left as marked on the control box are backward!!:eek::D
    [​IMG]
    Also made first trip to a favorite hangout. :D:D

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The car was a big hit with the folks. A writer for Hemmings happened in the crowd with his lovely wife and wanted to know about it. Jack, I told him what I remembered!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez Al, no wonder I kept crashing it.:confused::confused: