Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Twin Antennas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I know, I know, this is the epitome of tasteless East Coast, JC Whitney, schlock rod customizing; but I really feel like the front-fender-mount antenna on my Falcon screws up the lines. I was thinking angled twin antennas on the rear fenders would really flow a lot better.

I see ‘58 Impala pieces are reproduced, but they’re a bit pricey. Are there any budget alternatives? I promise not to run streamers or anything.

-Dave

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

Dual antennas were factory/dealer options on 58-64 full-size Chevys, so hardly "the epitome of tasteless East Coast, JC Whitney, schlock rod customizing" :D The 63-64 style may be a little cheaper than the 58-59 style (try Ecklers). I don't know of any other angled ones.

Unless you're using your AM radio, you could just shave it off. Alternatively, use a dash mounted antenna, use a hidden wire, an MP3 player with a built in FM receiver) or buy a univeral one (or 2) and french it into your rear fender.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I am using my AM radio (with an aux jack also, but we have a killer Oldies station in town).

Thanks for the lead on the '63-'64 style.

-Dave

4. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Just my pair'o'pennies, we used to call 'em Dual Trollers in the days of my mis-spent youth, ...mostly viewed as just another bit of factory trim to be removed. Why don't you sink the one you've already got, right where it is, but angle it to echo the windshield?

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If my memory ain't fried, it seems like '64-'65 Falcons and Farilanes also used a angled antenna with a square base. The GM antennas were more rounded, but either one should work.

6. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

It was angled after going through the car wash while extended. :)

7. FANTM58

FANTM58

I have em on my 58 Coronet, factory option,,,but hard to find ,

8. most dual I've seen and have are on the back by the trunk....but there have been dual's up by the cowl as well....

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I guess I missed the picture and year of Falcon. front antenna breaking the flow? unless it is a JC Whitney loaded car it seems like antenna(s) frenched into side of rear fender would look good.

10. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I never realized that twin sticks were an "east coast" thing but there is somewhat of a general concensus.. I first saw them on a 1958 Bonneville owned by Lou Calisibetta back in the early 90s and I thought they looked sharp, and they look good on Joe Pesci's 1961 Impala in the movie Goodfellas.. they might look good on a Falcon but the Impala style ones look too GM, so you may want to choose an alternative.. someone made a good point about them being angled, I lost a "straight up" antenna on the back of a 1957 Star Chief while going through a car wash, totally broke my heart!