Register now to get rid of these ads!

TV heads up 10pm est Moonshine Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mutt, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Mutt

Mutt

On the History Channel at 10 est - Auto Maniacs will show Moonshine Cars - "The roots of today's NASCAR circuit dates back to prohibition."

Mutt

2. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Thanks for the warning. Interestingly enough Junior Johnson was just on a BBQ show on Food Network.

3. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

a replay already? KOOL

4. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Its not a replay its the new episode. I wish they wouldnt do the stupid effects with meatbag punching the cars and the bodys flys off like in the gangster cars episode. Hell they could of picked a better host all together

5. Agreed. But that show is pretty damn cool so far. The gangster car and motorcycle shows were radical. Hey that's fun to say......radical! I can't wait for the moonshine cars episode. I always thought Hollywood should make another moonshine runnin' movie. There hasn't been one of those for a while and most of those didn't go back far enough in history for my taste. Something like the first 5 min. of Stroker Ace type stuff would do.

6. Good show, I am watching it now. More early shine than NASCAR.

7. I missed it, but it's on at 11:00pm again tonight (PST), so the DVR is set. It also airs again Sun. and Mon. sometime for those interested. I've never watched this show before, so looking forward to it.

8. WEREROD

WEREROD
    from Dago

Thanks for the heads Up my bro ran shine in the sixties and my dads boss is waving at the camera in the movie thunder road (1957) with Robert Mitchum I love that movie!!!!!

You better double check that PST mine says 10:00 pm and 2:00 am thats whats wifes are for keepin things straight!!!!

9. brandokust

brandokust

Thanks for the heads, watchin it right now and it's pretty cool, the host just bugs me.

10. brandokust

brandokust

Nevermind, he's doin alright, the show is just really cheesy lookin, but most car shows now-a-days are.

11. Muttley

Muttley

I vote for Fat Hack.:D

12. Kinky6

Kinky6

I've seen some of those cars at the Moonshine Run Fall Festival over in Dawsonville, GA, same town where that Thunder Road (Mtn?) museum is. The Cherokee Garage car is well known locally. I think they did an article on it in the Rodder's Digest several years ago.

I was surprised that Goldberg claimed to know about that part of the country, but its only an hour away from where he went to school. I did notice him calling one of the straight 8 cars a V8 on the gangster car show the other night. BTW, that black '59 Chevy two-door w/ the stick shift that he owns is totally badass! They coulda given that just a little more air time.

Hey, that's entertainment! :cool:

13. Watching that show ya' can tell it was filmed (or shot) in two different parts of the country. All the shots with the maroon '40 tudor looked to have done someplace other than northern Georgia.

The "bootleg turn" wasn't tight enough. It's been said a good tripper (driver) could execute that maneuver on a 2-lane bridge without touching a thing!!!

14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I wasn't that impressed with that maneuver either, but the guy driving was kind of older, so maybe he was out of practice. It was probably alot more exciting inside the car, too! I was also very interested to "learn" that the Ford Flathead was introduced in 1933 and the Model A in 1927. Oh well, aside for the little mistakes, the show was pretty cool.
    I thought it was interesting that they said some of the drivers looked for 4 door cars because the front seats wouldn't fold up if your cargo slammed against them while trying to outrun the law. I liked it better than the Gangster Cars episode.

15. Mutt

Mutt

The Model A was indeed introduced in 1927. November 3rd, 1927, selected Ford dealers and members of the press were invited to have their first look at the car. On December 1st, readers of 2000 daily newspapers across the nation opened to find a full page advertisement for the Model A.

Mutt

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Good show, some mistakes.....all in all it was MUCH better than the crap that's on TV.....gramps was fired up...

He said, "That's no how you do a turn. He didn't even slide. You have to put a seperate master cyclinder on your driver's side wheel, put it in second gear, hit the cutter brake and then put the hammer down. Those cops would go flying by and didn't even know what happened- especially if you did it twice in a row!"

He didn't run shine, but he said he had some offers. Said he was afraid of going to another area where he didn't know all of the nooks and crannies to hide in and get away from... He said, "I didn't care about the shine, I just wanted to drive the cars!" Those were the days! :rolleyes:

17. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Your Grampa rules, moonshine rules.

18. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I kind of half figured that, but I wasn't sure when they started introducing the next year's model in the previous year. My problem with their comment, while technically true, is that all of the non-car-fanatics that watched that, will start arguments with people that own 1927 Model Ts or 1928 Model As at car shows and cruise nights because the History Channel made it sound like there was a 1927 Model A. They'll also run themselves ragged trying to buy the car they saw on the show, insisting that it was a 1927 Model A. That's all.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Quite a decent show by TV standards--some coherent and reasonably accurate info scattered here and there in the synthetic drama! I'd like to see such a show done entirely by the resource people minus the drama queen dude, though. There's nothing worse than color commentary done by someone who learned all about the subject last night...
    In the developemental tradeoffs between weight-power-handling in the history of Ford development, '39-40 probably was the hot setup. '46-8 improvements were offset by greater bulk and pork. Fords continued to have a handling advantage for quite a few years after they went out of production in comparison to most of the wallowing post-49 cars.

20. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I think they should do the show like most other History channel shows with the experts of said field doing all the talking. There is no need for the washed up wrestler just put in the normal voice over dude reading the facts.

I'm just glad they dont have that ass from moster garage spewing obnoxios unnecicary hype.

21. Muttley

Muttley

If they wanted a really cool former wrestler they should have gotten Superfly Snuka or King Kong Bundy.:D