Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects turning a sedan into a coupe 1930

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sigfurniture, Dec 7, 2020.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

thanks bob,
    you are onto something, note how the overdoor gutter ends abruptly, ford didn't do that...
    i think someone welded a truck roof onto the sedan rear clip...
    note the shape of the rear window has truck cab proportions...
    also the upper beltline just curls down, doesn't flow into the upper rear beltline like bob's clip does...
    wise move to pass on that one...
    sig, did that blind fordor pirate have a black beard ?

Stogy and sigfurniture like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't want to take the Coupe build thread sideways, but there are so many different features on 28-29 Fordors they need their own thread. The sun visor on the one in Spain has issues. Bob

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    inaford30, Stogy and sigfurniture like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good! I did similar work on a 1933 Ford but I sold the body before I completed the car. I like what you have done so far. It's a hot rod, so it doesn't need to look just the Ford coupe, it only needs to look "right".

My '33 had the tall B pillar issue as well. I figured that could be solved with a top chop but the car was sold at this point.

IMG_4461.JPG
    20170914_131937.jpg

inaford30, Lil'Alb, 4ever18 and 8 others like this.
  4. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Squab, did you do a thread on that conversion? Love to see the 33 sedan to 5w story.

Sig, I agree with Squab, I like it so far. I've always held a bit of dislike for the model a opera windows, so this more squared version from the sedan is to me an upgrade. Also, the A coupe back window seems to almost be leaning rearward on Henry's version where your sedan deCoupe back window is plumb. Again, to my eye an improvement. Very cool.

A sedan to coupe side by.jpg

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

The 28-29 Fordor cowl is longer, hood edge to door edge, you are looking at a longer body without knowing it. Bob

clem, Stogy and sigfurniture like this.
  6. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

looks slick with that chop..i was kind of getting used to the high boy look but you´ve convinced me..and it what the client wants anyway..thanks for the input mate

brEad and Stogy like this.
  7. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

take it sideways..more info the better for me mate ! you lot are the experts

Stogy likes this.
  8. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

ok so picked up the caddy motor..bloody monster!..its now placed until we decide on preferable height etc..i reckon i need to extend the chassis about 6cm (2 inches and a bit)otherwise the valve covers will be behind the cowel which is ugly..ive seen install with the motor way up above the chassis rails and others way lower..any advantage over either? IMG_20201222_123859.jpg IMG-20201222-WA0003.jpeg

9. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

while i´m here i´ll put a pic of my morris up here as it also has a motor being put in that some of you will recognise..v6 pontiac with blower IMG_20201222_123912.jpg IMG_20201222_123943.jpg

10. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

My friend built a pickup.. download.jpeg.jpg

11. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

i know it it..bloody ace..used to be a 202 i believe widened? tell your mate hes a genius from me !

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Wish you lived closer, i have a '29 murray cowl with firewall tucked into the brush as a landmark...
    Free, if anyone can use it... tall grass hides it all spring, summer and fall... snow hides it all winter...
    note the gastank forms the top 1/3 of the firewall... loads from underneath...
    . DSCN4092.JPG

13. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

small up date..got the engine and gear box down..still plenty of room for carbs etc,,and hopefully enough space for some sort of steering under the headers!..that´ll be the next thing to sort out
    IMG_20201222_183426_706.jpg

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]
    A Murray cowl, this one had a cowl band and the belt molding is an inch shorter to clear it.

Bob

15. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

ok sorry for the delays..christmas and all that..so today i´ve been given the go ahead to do a rumble seat..which is nice..but i´m not sure about how the hinges work and the details for the weather stripping (..like how to stop water getting in)..has anybody any close up images of the hidden details please?..cheers in advance IMG-20210107-WA0010.jpeg

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Henry used a curved panel and let the water drain through holes stamped along the base...
    not using a rumble i will fab up something to extend the trunk gutters to the floor...
    i would think long and hard about running a rumble seat,
    the way people tailgate today a quick stop could get someone cut in half...

inaford30, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  17. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

Yep I'm pretty sure it's just a show thing.. I wouldn't ever put anyone in the back for more than around the block.. Clients wishes... Is the hinge at the bottom of the curve or a bit higher?

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

When I read the title I thought you were crazy, when I seen it I really like it. Plenty of room and it just looks right sitting there, great fab work.

inaford30, loudbang and sigfurniture like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

loudbang and sigfurniture like this.
  20. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

That car your friend built is awesome.What can I say it is cool, dare to be different ,he pulled it off.

21. triumph 1

triumph 1

Looks great, nice fab work. The proportions look right.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

loudbang likes this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Those A rumble hinges should be easy to find as they almost never rust out...
    they let the lid rotate under the rear panel, that is why the rain gutters stop where they do...
    bummer.... i got rid of the whole works last month...
    pic of someone's add...

rumbler 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  24. Cool project.
    Cool place also where you are working, with the brickstone walls. Reminds me of a Spanish friend's workroom in an old textile mill in Terrassa.

sigfurniture and loudbang like this.
  25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

went out back for some snow pile pix... hope they help... DSCN7314.JPG DSCN7315.JPG DSCN7316.JPG DSCN7313.JPG DSCN7317.JPG

26. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

excellent sloppy..thanks thats exactly what i need to see and what i´ll be doing tomorrow thanks o much

sound familiar..what does the guy do?..i might know him..i´m in agramunt my pollishers are close to terrassa

loudbang likes this.
  27. He did not work with cars but was an artist, painter and sculptor. I visited his workshop 20 years ago, but he has quit working there long ago. I was often in Barcelona back in the day but now with family and work I did not find time in recent years (and now the f*cking virus....). Would love to go again someday.

sigfurniture and loudbang like this.
  28. doubleduece

doubleduece

Cool project!!

29. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

A bit more done on the rumble seat.. At the moment mocked up.. But the geometry works and it closes.. I sat inside.. Its tight for a tall lad but will do I reckon

IMG-20210110-WA0015.jpeg

30. sigfurniture

sigfurniture