Register now to get rid of these ads!

History turn signels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfink55, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

does any on know what year turn signels became standard equip. ? it doesnt look like my 55 2nd series ever had'em .

Fink

2. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

oh by the way its a 55 2nd series 1/2 ton PICK UP TRUCK

3. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Good question, I've always wondered the same thing. By the way most Euro car drivers drive it makes you wonder if their cars came equipped with them anymore...

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I always wondered why they needed signals anyway.. I mean, humans come 'equipped' with fingers to work in place of horns too!

5. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Buick in 1938 was the first to have them. I'm not sure when they were "standard". I don't even think they were required until the NHTSA issued their standards for 1968. This is the year we got mandatory smog controls, seat belt requirements, auto transmission gear order, switch placement for motorcycle handle bars, and many more requirements that made cars boring.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't 53 -54 chevy cars have them in the steering column? I know 49 - 52 it was a bolt on option.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Turn signals were optional on Chevy cars until about 1955, and trucks until about 1960.

53-54 cars and 54-59 trucks (and 53-62 vettes) used a switch that clamped on around the top of the column.

8. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

so "legally" would i need them in Ca on my 55?

9. Jimv

Jimv

I don't know if you really "HAVE" to have them.But you have to use signals for turning, either hand or mechanical.
    If your car didn't come with signals doesn't mean you can turn without signaling.And to be truthful its alot easier to use a signal switch then it is to put your arm out the window every 2 seconds.
    Also i think it might be a gray area in seatbelts also.The law states that you must wear seatbelts, Period!!! Not wether your car came with them or not, I think if they wanted to break balls they could make you install seat belt or take your plates till the car is "highway " worthy.
    my 2 cents
    JimV

10. You can put the 54 chevy on the 2nd series col. Only difference is the size of the wires. 6 volt on the 54 12 volt on the 55. we were talking chevy ?

11. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

yeah i realize your not suppost to turn w/o some kind of signal (i just wish a few more people realized that too) . what im saying is that i dont plan on putting turn signals if i dont have to , hand signals are are fine by me (ive gotten used to it from riding my sporty) . as far a seatbelts go my understanding is in ca if your car didnt come with them you dont need them but if you have them installed you MUST wear them . personally i really dont want to put belts in my 55 but in order for my 3 year old daughter to ride w/ me im going to have to (not only from a legal standpoint but for her safety

Fink