Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glmke, Feb 2, 2012.

1. glmke

glmke

Ok i bought a new after market turn signal switch to put on my 50. I'm not totally comfortable with cutting wires. How easy is this really and what else do i need to add turn signals to the car.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, if your car never had turn signals, you likely have single filament bulbs in the front park lamp and taillights. To utilize the switch as it is intended, you will need to replace the single filament bulbs/sockets with dual filament units (or you could add an additional light to that position). You will also need to run an extra wire to each front lamp and and additional wire for one of the rear brake lights....currently the brake lights likely use the same wire to the rear area then slpit to serve both lights. The brake light circuit needs to be seperate from the turn signal switch for each brake lamp.

You will also need a suitable flasher unit and socket. With all these parts you can wire the system. Here's how it works: The brake light wire coming from the brake light switch feeds into the turn signal switch. If no turn is selected, the brake lights wires, left and right, are fed the brake light current and light up on both sides. If a turn is selected, the side opposite the turn is fed the brake light current, the side selected for the turn gets it's current from the signal flasher (as does the corresponding front signal filament) and.... voila'....you have turn signals.

Ray