Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical turn signals flash fast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, May 23, 2016.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

My turn signals flash fast, 1157 bulb in front, 1004 bulb in rear, flashers says for 2-6 bulb setup. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks for the help. Bob

2. squirrel

squirrel

Some flashers flash fast if they don't have enough load, they are designed that way to make you realize there is a burned out bulb. If the bulbs all light up like they should, then try a different brand of flasher.

OLSKOOL32 and rfraze like this.
  3. FANTM58

FANTM58

Yep that's been my experience as well,
    Usually means a burned out bulb
    In the system .

4. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

They did make HD flashers. I had a F100 that when I plugged in trailer lights. The stock flasher blinked so fast it looked like the lights never went out. I put in a Heavy Duty flasher and without the trailer hooked up it sounded like a BIG relay switching. No BS I could feel the click through the steering wheel.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

1004 is a dome light bulb. Try 1034 or 1157

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, it's the flasher. Put a regular duty one in place of the heavy duty and it should slow down. I agree about that 1004 bulb too, why are you using that one ?

Don

7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Don said, use regular not HD flasher. Also, if its flashing too slow change to HD unit.

8. Maybe I'm missing something; but the regular old flashers I am used to have a bi-metal strip in them. Flash too fast = too much load. No flash = bulb burned out. Don't know about the modern electronic ones.
    I'd try a different brand flasher first thing.

bct likes this.
  9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ya know , Rich, I am rethinking my post. I could be backwards on my thinking. But I do agree to see what kind of flasher is in it now and go to the opposite one. That bulb is also a question mark.

Don

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Do they make a louder click type flasher? Or does the HD version pull double duty in that deal. I kinda like that old school tink-tonk.. tink-tonk.. When did that start, anyway? 50s?

None of you folks were ever smart enough to discover as a kid I'm sure, if you simultaneously pressed the brakes and had the four way flashers on, the radio would work intermittently. And if you first ran a breath or two back through a cigarette butt, they tasted pretty fresh.

11. I don't know what the numbers match up to but the wattage of each bulb should be 21 watts. JW

12. I think you used to hear the flasher click on the older cars because they were mounted in a metal bracket which in turn was attached to the metal structure under the dash; kinda became quieter when they started putting them in the fuse panel.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mine is still installed in a metal bracket under the dash, but have dual exhaust and Porter steel pacs.. I thought there were "loud" versions of those things. Maybe not.

14. I have the loud version. It still ain't loud enough! Car is quite.

15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I have a Speedway wiring kit in my F-100. My signals start flashing fast, then slow down. All bulbs are normal incandescent except the turn indicators in the dash are LEDs. I wonder if that is the issue.

16. On newer cars, definitely a gimee that a bad bulb makes them flash faster. Older cars I recall the signal indicator lighting up on the dash, but it wouldn't flash if a bulb was bad. I use 1157 bulbs in everything. My Ford had those 1034 bulbs in it when I got it.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Also check that all your grounds are adequate. Sometimes it takes a dedicated wire, A jumper wire with a couple alligator clips will easily test the theory. I found I had to do this on my Studebaker pick up as the mounting of the bed did not provide a reliable ground path to the frame.

18. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

as to flashers... i would like my turn signal lights to immediately light up when i just barely hit the turn signal lever. i do not like the wait (i know it's a second or two) for the bulbs to light up. my ot scion lights the bulbs immediately when moving the lever.

19. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

O'reilly $11.49
    Novita Technologies - Hazard Warning/Turn Signal Flasher

Line: NOV | Part # EL12

DETAILED DESCRIPTION
    The Novita EL12 is an electro-mechanical turn signal flasher that operates at 12 V. This type of turn signal flasher uses electro-magnetism to operate and lasts 10 times longer than conventional thermal flashers like the 552 and 536. The EL12 is capable of handling additional lamp loads due to trailering and is proudly made in the U.S.A.

20. When I installed turn signals on my cabrio, I was using LED lights and they require a special flasher.
    Don't know if this will pertain to your issue.

21. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

You can use the new Electronic flashers with LED or original style bulbs. They don't care what the load is from my experience. You can get them at any parts store.

22. The LED items have a resistance circuit. JW