Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn Signal Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flip, May 26, 2013.

1. flip

flip

I am wiring up Turn Signals using a toggle switch. For the rear I used a tail light wiring converter for trailers to prevent the brake light from overriding the turn signal, this is running through an 1157 bulb. This works fine. In the front, I am bypassing the converter and running directly to the signal. All works fine if I also use a 1157 socket and bulb in the front. But I want to use a smaller light with a single filament bulb, but this setup doesn't flash. Light comes on but no flash. All grounds are good. Now if I ground the toggle switch terminal with a test light, it will flash. As I said the light has a good ground but doesn't appear to be making a circuit. It seems issue is with the single filament bulb. Not an expert, so what am I missing? Thanks to all

2. not enough current draw to trigger the flasher? are you using the correct socket for the front bulbs?

3. Are you using 1156 for the front bulbs?

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The fact that it flashes when you add the test light to the circuit says that the small bulb is not drawing enough current. Either use a bigger bulb or a flasher made for less draw. You could add a hidden bulb to the circuit or find a flasher used with LED lights.

5. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Maybe try a light duty flasher-like the other guys said its not pulling enough amperage to flash

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yep, run a flasher made for LED lights. Speedway has them or maybe find local.

7. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Here's a schematic for a simple turn signal circuit. Like all the others have said, make sure you have the right bulbs, and a flasher that is designed for 4 lights (they do make flashers for just 2 bulbs...)

Willy

Attached Files:

8. flip

flip

Thanks for all the responses. It seems all feel bulb is not drawing enough current. Light is generic from Speedway. Bulb has no # so not sure what it is. I will see if an 1156 will fit socket as was one suggestion, also will try a light duty flasher and/or wiring in another small bulb to pull more current. Again thanks to all and to the Hamb.

9. Davyj

Davyj

yup, get an electronic flasher ...........or add a resistor to increase draw.