Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signal switch wiring problem.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tombstone, Jun 15, 2008.

1. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I'm wiring a stock turn signal switch on a '51 Monarch (Merc). I've got the turn signals to work , but I can't get the brake lights to work. Anybody got a schematic how this system crosses over to get the brake lights to work. I think I've tried every combo possible but obviously not all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanx!!

2. There is one wire that comes off of the Signal Light switch that goes to the Brake light Switch <br> hope this Helps, Dom.

3. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Any idea which wire????

4. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Alliance Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brake circuit has to go thru the turn signal switch, so the turn signals can intermittently interrupt the brake signal, but only on one side at a time. Most turn signals work by turning off the brake light on one side, and then pull power through the flasher and sends it down the wire to the bright side of the bulb. That's why it goes thru the column harness.

If you run the 3rd light wire to your brake lights, you won't have turn signals.

If you have 4 or more lights on the rear, and you want to have one one each side to be brake-only (no turn sig), you can wire your 3rd Light wore to the brake-only lights. Then run the "Left- and Right Turn sig" wires to the remaining lights. These will still function as brake lights until you use your turn sig switch.

5. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Theres a bunch of info if that does not help. If you search (turn wiring )you will find 100 threads it will take you all night to read them all

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

In the book that I am looking at, the colors are as follows. Blue wire goes to the flasher. Green wire goes to the brake light switch. Green with white tracer to left front. Green with orange tracer is left rear. White with blue tracer to right front. Orange with blue tracer to right rear.

If you have the switch out, there are five wires on one side, two on the other. The two by themselves are for the front lights. The center of the five is the flasher wire. The end two wires go to the brake switch. The other two are for the rear lights. I did not have any colors on my wiring so I used process of elimination with a volt-ohm meter. I also had to take the switch apart on mine and work on the contact points to get it to work. The contacts had worked into the fiber or the fiber board in there was bowed or something. I can't remember much of what happened yesterday much less last year. :)
    So, if it should be working and it is not, it may be the switch not contacting.

Neal

By the way, the book take I am referring to is the 1949-1951 Lincoln and Mercury overhaul setup and shop manual, page 536.

7. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:) Thanx to all for the input.... got it workin' !!!:D:D:D