Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signal problem??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Aug 1, 2012.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

I have a 1966 ford galaxie steering column with a Lecarra steering wheel and the adapter for it in my 1953 ford f100. The horn button works but the turn signal cancel doesn't work. I took the wheel off thinking the cam assembly was broken but everything looks fine. I don't see anything to control the signal cam assembly to the off position (or cancel) What am I missing to make the assembly work is it a ford part or aftermarket Thanks Joe

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

should be something that is fixed to the wheel hub that goes around and bumps the signal mechanism. I only have experience with GM columns and/or old Fords. Did you neglect to re-install something when you put the new wheel on?

dj

3. 24riverview

24riverview

Did Fords of that vintage have a roll pin that stuck straight out from the bottom of the wheel for that purpose or am I thinking of something else? Maybe pull the adapter and see if there's a hole (or possibly a selection) that would take a pin.

4. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Yeah, what ^ he said. I think he's right on the money.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think it should have a piece that is round like the back of the hub on the wheel and is spring loaded. It pushes on the back of the wheel and has a couple of bumps in it to cancel left/right turn. At least the 60's Mustangs and Fairlanes had that.

6. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

I got the adapter off and on the back side there are two small holes in close near the shaft spline area. Located on the flat part of the copper horn contact ring about one inch apart on the radius, with two 1/8 hole. They follow the radius pattern of the ring You could put two split pins in them and could stick out about 3/8 inch before it would bottom out. The phone number I found for Lecarra says closed at the moment . I think this would work the signal cam but do you need one or two pins?? Thanks for all the help Joe

7. Older GM had a metal ring with two pins sticking down to cancel the signals. Mounted with two screws.

8. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Got the steering wheel assembly back together and by installing two split pins in the hub assembly the directionals are now shutting off after a turn thanks for the help Joe