Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Turkey Rod Run .....who,where and what....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drtybiker, Oct 17, 2014.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I might be packing turkey sandwiches for Friday's ride down!!! Excited to go. Bryan and I will be there in these. ATT37465.jpg ATT12114.jpg

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

looking good weather wise. Turkey day forecast looks great.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Pack some warm clothes, it is supposed to get into the 40's a couple of nights, and the days are only going to get into the 60's, maybe 70's. For us Florida guys, that is cold, but for you who are coming from the north it is probably not so cold. Looks like zero chance of rain though, and that is good.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Daytona+Beach+FL+USFL0106

My Sons and I have been going to TR for 30 years and you never know what the weather is going to be like. Some years we are in short sleeve shirts at midnight, and other years we look like Yukon Eric, all bundled up. But the days are generally really pleasant.

Don

4. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Andy glad you and Bryn are making it back this year.Hope you have a safe and trouble free trip down.
    Gregg

5. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Thanks
    Check out Aunt Catfish in Port Orange they usually have a nice set up
    May check out Norwoods in New Smyrna beach too Great place to eat

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Hi Lee, Gee, I remember way back when the TRR was at Seabreeze High School in Daytona Beach.
    I think that was the beginning. Maybe others will chime in. I any case, have a great time.

7. My first trip to the TRR was the last year they had it at Seabreeze High. I have great memories from it. It's pretty amazing how it's grown.

I'm ready to be there. Unless some miracle happens I won't be bringing the wagon. I'll actually be in the off topic pickup next to Brian's little green truck in the picture above. Kind of bummed but what can you do.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We actually stumbled onto one of the first shows. I think we were driving through Daytona and saw a few hot rods and other old cars so we stopped to check them out. I took some pictures (they are around here somewhere) and one of them has a red 32 roadster with a blower on it. It was a VERY small show back then, in some parking lot, and it is simply amazing how it took off and grew to what it is today.

For the past 30 years my two Sons and I have been going, we always told the women in our lives not to expect us to ever be there for Thanksgiving, that is our one time a year we get away together.

Don

9. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Hey Jim, are you going to make it up this year? Like I posted earlier, the first one was at the Howard Johnson's next to the La Playa. We were there with several other South Florida SR members.

I'll be in my swap meet space (Red Field, Row 9, Space 296) with a buddy. I won't have too much stuff but Tom is bringing a rolling '32 roadster, a '28 Chevy roadster body and parts, a dodge pickup cab and other assorted hot rod goodies. My trip up and how long I stay is totally dependent on the arrival of my newest grand child. My daughter is due tomorrow so I'll have my cell phone close. We get there Friday early and split end of day Saturday. Tom will be holding down the fort if I have to leave. Y'all stop by and say howdy.

10. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

plan on riding over tomorrow afternoon hope i can make a cheap score for a AD truck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 59 brook

59 brook

well i'll be there but the 59 is heading into the paint booth finally this weekend, so it wont make it . but my new toy a '05 magnum wagon with a hemi will make the trip up with me

12. Im here now. Had some good dinner and watched a couple cars on the street. Heading over early-ish tomorrow.

13. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Picked up a bunch of smalls I needed for my car. Great place for the little things I needed, no shipping, usually a better price and sometimes no tax!

So many cool rides...

One of my favorites;
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417393997.719787.jpg

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Friday the swap meet area was a mess.........it had rained heavily and the grassy areas were a mud bog. It was even hard to pull a cart through those areas. They had to move the people who had vendor spots on the grassy area to the blue paved area, and that was a blessing for them. They ended up with a nicer spot than they would have had otherwise. You should have seen all the Little Rascal type mobility carts trying to go through the mud ! :D

Saturday was different. The ground was pretty much drying up and the crowd was bigger. Dealers were willing to deal because they were not sometimes having the success they had planned on. One vendor told me he wasn't even going to break even, but others said they were doing ok. When someone quoted a price they were generally agreeable to a reduced offer, it seemed to be a buyers market.

Very few project cars for sale, compared to other years IMO. Two that stood out were a Studebaker Lark drag car for $2500 and a stripped out, but nice bodied late model Camaro Z28 for $800 (but he said he would take $650) Otherwise, no cars we were interested in enough in to buy.

I wish the Speedway would finish up the construction so parking would get back to normal. We had to park way up the street and pull our heavy carts quite a ways each day. Seems like the construction has dragged on forever.

But, overall, we loved it and can't wait till next year.

Don

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Don, hope the construction delays are not a Florida thing;) Interstate 95 in Jacksonville has been under construction for about 15 years.

16. Don, you are right about that mud bog. Some areas where nearly impassible when I was walking Friday. Some deals to be had but I saw some pretty crazy prices too. I did pick up a rear fender for my '39 for what I feel was a good price. It's something I've been hunting a while. My buddy picked up a bunch of Model A parts and seemed to make some great deals Saturday.

I agree with the parking too. I was made to park way in the back, left side of the track even though there was a lot of open space up closer. I really didn't feel the parking crew had a handle on what was going on. It made it difficult with the young kids.

This was the first time back after a 7 year break. Before that I had been to every one since 1985 I think. A lot of things seem to have changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. All in all, I had a great time. I hope to get back again in a couple years.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Did anybody do any coverage of this show?

18. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

19. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I arrived in town about 8:30 AM Friday and the main spectator lot seemed to be already full out to the gate and cars lined down the road about 100 yards. Show car gate was very well run. Lota and lots of cars but they got us thru with no hassles. I got to registration tent just before 9:00 AM and was car no. 4036 !!! I heard guesses of 7000 cars. Never heard an official number. A friend who arrived late Friday morning got parked outside the speedway. There was already no more room for show cars on the field. Seemed to be fewer traditional street rods than in the past. The dominant decade was probably the 1960s - Camaros, Chevelles, etc. And too many rat rods. And a handful of new cars. why spend $50 to park your new Dodge on the field? Rental scooters were all over the place. More thsn ever. Don't know if that's attributable to an aggressive scooter rental entrepreneur ($70 per day) or attributable to the growing decrepitude of us aging street rodders.

wedjim likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its hard to believe another Turkey run is over and I am home now,had a great time and hope to do it again next year.

21. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Jeff glad you made it home OK . Glad we got to hang out for 3 day's. Dont forget that dash.
    Gregg

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I went to a storage auction recently and in one unit I bought I got one of those Little Rascal scooters. My Sons kept telling me that I should take it to TR, but I thought only handicapped and old people could use them (ok, I am old, but not THAT old !:rolleyes:) so I left it home. When I saw how many people were using them, even young guys, I wished I had taken it. I've never seen so many of these things at one event, more people were riding than walking.

Before next year I might have to do a little customizing and add a hitch for my wagon. :D Maybe they can create a race class for these at TR and a show class !

Don

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When it comes to the scooters I am beginning to think if you can not beat them just join them and might have to get one for myself even though I do not need one,even though I rode on a golf cart the first time I went back and walked most of it to get some exercise I am supposed to be doing that has slacked off since its gotten cold up here in Ohio. If I were to ever get one I would walk through and then go back with one to pick up the larger parts,to be serious I am not going to get one until I need one but its tempting since I seen plenty of healthy looking and younger people riding them.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I saw one guy who had an really ingenious setup. He built a cart to haul his stuff and he put an electric motor underneath it from one of those electric kids cars. He said he found the car in the dump and used the motor to power the cart. He didn't have to pull a heavy cart, all he did was push a button on the regular handle and it followed him around. He also put big tires on it so that it would go through the grass and mud easier.

When we were dragging our heavy cart through the mud I really could have used the setup he had. May have to build one for next year.

Don

25. Scooters where driving me nuts! I really wish they would stop the people that don't have a legitimate need from riding them. Some people were real a-holes on them. I got ran over by more than one wagon too. I see the need for those I just wish people would pay more attention to what they are doing.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Let the scooters ride on the track! Maybe a demolition derby?

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would love to see a scooter demolition derby.

29. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Demolition derby would be awesome to see on those!

You would think people sitting on their arse and not needing to walk would be more patient? But it seems they think everyone walking is inconveniencing them.
    That's the kind of people riding scooters that don't really need them maybe?

We have one for sale for $400 if anyone in CFL is interested, lol.

30. I just wish they would not let lazy people in if you need it you should register it and get a tag or pass of it.

wedjim likes this.