Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Turkey Rod Run .....who,where and what....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drtybiker, Oct 17, 2014.

1. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Okay who is going where exactly are the best places to go,see,and do ? Also are there many complete running Hot Rods/Customs for sale? I am gonna be lookin for something been saving my lunch money all year if you are from outta town what ya got?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I'll be there this year. It's been at least ten years since I've been last so I don't have answers on where to go. BelAir Plaza and the Speedway were the two places when I was going. There was always tons of cars for sale.

3. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Thought this would catch more replies then it has are there not that many people from here that go

4. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

If you're looking to buy you'll see every automotive creation under the sun in the car corral, and lots of them. Some good - some not so good. You can still find some hot rod treasures in the swap but they're getting fewer and farther between. If you're into mustang and camaro parts you're good to go.

Lee

osut362 likes this.

5. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

There are plenty of people going. The lack of response to your thread has more to do with how fast the HAMB move's. Than it does with who's going . Check in the HAMB parking thread for people who are going. Ryan has been kind enough to make the parking thread a sticky at the top of first page.
    Gregghttp://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/turkey-run-hamb-parking.944003/

6. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

If you're looking to buy, there will be a ton of options. The market is soft right now, so it's a buyers market for sure. You may notice prices dropping as the week ticks buy. I've seen cars starting at $35,000 down to $19,000 by Sunday mid morning. Some people aren't realistic from watching too much reality TV. So just keep in mind it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Also, if you are making a serious purchase, know what you're looking at or have it inspected. I've seen some scary welding, tie wraps, window screen holding bondo and undercoated rust, so you have to be careful.

7. Our group from South Carolina will be making the trip. Should be bringing 6 or so cars like usual. One of which is a super nice Traditional '34 pick-up that's for sale. The places to be are the track (day), Bel-Air Plaza (evenings), and Cracker Barrel for turkey dinner on Thursday.

8. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

You guy's need to park with us in the HAMB parking area
    Gregg

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My Sons and I haven't missed many in 30 years, it is the one event we look forward to every year and we leave the womenfolk at home. :D We aren't taking our rods this year because we are all planning on some serious shopping in the swap meet and roadsters are too small to haul our booty out of the place.

As for cars to buy, if you can't find one there you won't find one anywhere. Even at Bel Air Plaza there are lots of cars with signs on them for sale. However, from some of the prices I think the owners are either trying to inflate their egos or are trolling for suckers.

Don

10. Thanks for the offer Gregg, it is appreciated! But we always park with the Southeast Streetrodders. They have a great spot as well and a couple of the cars aren't so HAMB friendly. But we always make a point to get over there and check out the great cars!

11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I go every year. It's only an hour away. Car corral is huge. If what you seek isn't there it doesn't exist. Wear good walking shoes. The event is on the infield at the speedway. By late afternoon lots of us go out to beachside (over the big bridge to where the beaches are) turn left and go several miles to Bell Aire Plaza on the left. It's just a mundane shopping plaza with a supermarket and a bunch of stores and a restaurant up front (possibly a Ruby Tuesdays). For some unknown reason it has become the preferred place to hang out at the end of the day. It will be packed. It gets so busy that cops are needed for traffic control at the entrances. But never any police hassles. And, yes, guys who don't want to pay to have their cars for sale on the field will bring them to Bell Aire Plaza and hang a for sale sign on them.

12. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

The not so well known reason is that that's were it all started. Across the street from the Bell Aire Plaza at the Howard Johnon Hotel. Three kids and five grand kids ago, although it seems like just yesterday.

Lee

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  13. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Bringing this BTT. Is nobody going this year? Response to this thread and TRR- HAMB parking thread is kinda lagging. Hope this isn't an indication of turn out this year.
    Gregg

14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Planning on it. See you there.

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Thought about it but waited too long to get a hotel so maybe next year.

16. A hotel is no problem we rolled in last year mid day Friday and got a room right off speedway around 90 a night . Will be bring the 34 pick up again, When you get to the car show just ask around their is a lot going on in different places.

17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I never miss it, it's just down the road. One of only two events I even care to take the 62, the other being Billetproof. I don't even look at the cars much anymore, I like the swap area.

18. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Joe I'm sure there are still room's available
    So Jake are you going to join us in the HAMB parking area?

19. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Can't wait to be there. I don't think my car will be able to go by then, so I'll ride the harley over. Gonna be awesome!

20. Track-T

Track-T

might stop by to say howdy.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am planning on coming down from Ohio,there are plenty of cars for sale but I usually never look at them since most are way too expensive for me. If I were to look to buy one I would watch it and talk to the owner on the last day and maybe even a week after the show as the price might come down a bunch,I have a feeling 99 percent of the cars for sale are taken back home.

22. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Jeff, every year I go, about 30% of the cars are gone by the end of the weekend. Going by the spaces that are open on Sunday compared to Thursday. Some may leave early, but sellers usually wait it out in my experience.

I have seen everything from $1500 parts cars on trailers to $250,000 all out cars under tents.

It's a blast just to look around. But if you have cash to spend, there will be something there!

IMO, a lot of people aren't realistic sellers.
    Basically rare cars can get away with over pricing to some degree. But super clean 1974 4 door impalas are not worth $21,000 because of low miles.

Just sayin.

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Update. Plans are confirmed for 2 of us out of South Carolina. We are leaving South Carolina Friday am heading south on 95. Hamb parking is a big 10-4. See you then.

24. Myself, my parents, and a friend from VA will be there Thursday afternoon. It will take an act of god for the wagon to make it unfortunately.
    My wife has request Thanksgiving dinner Thurs. Any locals have a recommendation on restaurants serving a traditional Turkey dinner???

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel should have a traditional meal or go across the street and have a chicken sandwich and a beer with me at Hooters.

26. There is Steves Famous Diner on N. Atlantic as well they do a good Thanksgiving Dinner

27. Thanks for the ideas guys! If it were just me I would be at Hooters with you junkyardjeff!

28. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

We'll be there, leaving on the 23rd ... looking forward to the sunshine.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

ONE MORE WEEK !!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D We can't wait. Bought me a new, big hauling wagon at Northern Tool to haul all my (hopefully) new purchases. Plan on driving up Thursday and coming home Sunday.

Don

30. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

It's been raining here all day and also will Monday, maybe Tuesday....getting it all out of its system just in time!

Woot, Woot!

Time to round up some glass channel items, headlight switch, a tach and some other smalls.