Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbonique self driven turbo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikemillercarparts, Nov 7, 2011.

1. anybody ever run a turbonique self driven turbo looking for manuals or blue prints this is what i found do not know if it is all here [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. john walker

john walker

i remember the ads. it's for the rear axle isn't it?

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The ads are the only thing I ever knew about them, like the one showing a go kart beating a dragster. :eek::D I think they did somehow connect directly to the rear axle like John mentioned.

Don

4. R Pope

R Pope

They had a kit for rear ends with a back cover. The kit replaced the cover and mounted the turbine with another pinion gear so the power went directly to the ring gear. Wild!!!

5. Yeah, I don't think that is the drag axle version. Looks like it was never finish machined?

6. 1960impala283

1960impala283

Cool find, have never seen one in operation. Turbonique had quite a few different product, the drag axles being the most well known. The Tabacoo king Galaxy is probably the best example. They also made units for outboard motors, go karts, jet cars, and a bunch of other "ACME" products that Wille E. Coyote could have ordered.

It was all based on two fuels that were mixed together in a combustion chamber and ignited. The liquid fuels had enough oxygen in them to support the combustion. Rocket fuel type materials. After a few explosions, they were banned from running.

My point is... where are you going to get the fuel to run this self propelled supercharger, and not win yourself a "Darwin Award" trying to figure out how to use it? This is one product that I would want facory tech support.

I do think it's an excellent trophy case display...

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They made a turbine engine that mounted on the rear axle, they also made a turbocharger for the engine that had its own turbine motor. And, they made a rocket engine they put on the Go Kart.

Some crazy rocket scientist down in Florida made them. I remember the articles and ads in hot rod magazines in the sixties. Could never figure out if it was a hoax or on the level, but they did go on with the ads and articles for several years so I have to think it was not a hoax.

8. Greezeball

Greezeball

The whole Turbonique history could fill a book. It's chock full of jet packs, cruise missles, g-men, patent fights and law suits. Just crazy and movie worthy material for sure.

9. belair

belair

Do a search here. There was a good thread on it some time ago.

10. seatex

seatex

Garage Magazine did an (GREAT) article on them a while back. "Mad Genius" doesn't begin to cover it......................

11. alsancle

alsancle

There are at least 2 or 3 very good threads on Turbonique. NOS setups turn up more then "used" ones. A wonder why? :).

12. [​IMG]

13. 1935olds

1935olds

Amazing stuff, scary a hell. Jet powered go kart........ pure insanity!

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  15. Algon

Algon

A local guy has the Turbonique go kart and he actually ran it once through the center of town years back during our annual car show. I'd like to try it out.:D

16. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Your quest is over, just check with the only surviving Turbonique expert..a gentleman named Ky Michaelson his website: www.the-rocketman.com