Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbo charged Flathead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52ragtop, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'll add another element to the discussion.......Exh runs thru water jackets, true; What about converting one to exit the exhaust on top of the block.....There was a thread recently, showing a flattie with the exh ports on the top of the block. How would that work ?

4TTRUK

3. bodied620

bodied620

how strong is the bottom end of the Pontiac straight 8's? I have considered something for my 53 but i was unsure on whether the bottom end would hold up...

Opinions please

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Packard had a 9 main bearing straight eight in the fifties. 327 or 359 cu in. State of the art angled valves like Hudson. Generous cooling passages around the exhaust valves. A good turbo, possibly off a Dodge Cummins diesel, might give good results.

Bodied I think the Pontiac would do ok on the street with 5 - 10 lbs of boost in basically stock form. But if you wanted some serious power the Packard would be hard to beat.

5. daddio211

daddio211

There's always Hot Rod Packard who's a member here. Turbo'ed Packard straight 8 and he drives the hell out of it.

I'll pm him and see I'd he'll chime in.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. greenracer

greenracer
    from sequim wa

There are a couple threads on here about this. I just did a search and the one started by KB88 has old pictures of my setup before it was finished on the first page and some more recent pics on the third page. There are also pics of other turbo charged flatheads throughout the thread.

7. 52ragtop

52ragtop
    from Nebraska

Greenracer,, Like your setup..

8. daddio211

daddio211

I think I'll have to eat my own words... Hot Rod Packard's car is blown, not turbo'ed.

9. 55willys

55willys

Do a reverse flow cam on the flathead swapping the intake and exhaust. gets rid of the cooling problem and has better flow. The exhaust would come out of the top of the block directly into the turbos and the intake would be forced in on the outside of the block through the water jacket.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Now you're heating the intake! ;) You can't win!

11. dechrome

dechrome

Here is a 62 Olds turbo on a stock 40 Ford flathead. The idea was that you didn't need high compression or a radical cam. big valves etc. Plus the turbo was a $20 swap meet find.
    deChrome

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. Vergil

Vergil

Flatty-EFI was installing four small ones on a flathead

[​IMG]

13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Use A Caddy flathead, as the exhaust already exits out the top. Yes, the exhaust run right next to the intakes, so use an intercooler. More cubic inches than a Ford, stronger, and they handle HP and boost well.

The FlatCad will get turbos next year, when we move to a lakester-I'll let you know how it turns out.

15. saltracer

saltracer

Back when I didn't know any better I bought a 1950 Merc with carb problems and I already had a Corvair Spyder (with turbo) that didn't run. I went to the muffler shop and made and intake, rerouted the exhaust and fired it up. Had no problems. Drove the car to Memphis for the 1974? Street Machine Nats. If I remember correctly the car would do 85mph with this setup. It started to smoke and the more stuff I put in it the worse it got. Pulled the whole engine and much later found out it was the rings that were stuck to the pistons.

16. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

someone needs to contact all the people that have done it and let them know it wont work. Obviously no one told them!
    I propose an organized manhunt, termination and deletion of all existing information printed, digital, or cellulose showing Turbo Flatheads.

3thirty6point7 likes this.
  17. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha ha...

18. daddio211

daddio211

Nobody better tell Jack that this won't work. Met him today at the GNRS... what a REALLY cool guy!

Ran a streamliner at Bonneville in '01 (I think) with a twin turbo flattie and got a red hat.

His Model 40 is twin turbo'ed too!

uploadfromtaptalk1359246585332.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1359246616155.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1359246737936.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1359246763976.jpg

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I first started building hotrods in the 70s there was a guy who used to come to meets in our area from Kansas and he ran a turbo on a FH fueled by propane. As I remember it ran really good!

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

try jim briely on F.A.S.T. . he is a record holder with a blower on a banger ..........

21. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I'd love to ask him if he got inspiration from and/or used parts from the OEM twin turbo setup like on my rice burner Toyota. Here's that setup for comparison:

[​IMG]

That inline 6 cyl 186 c.i. motor now makes over 700 hp on pump gas with two Garrett turbos and my custom manifold setup and has proven plenty responsive enough for road racing.

22. custommachinesIII

custommachinesIII
    from Belgium

hello from belgium! i have some canadian flatheads, 1949 and 1951 and im busy preparing them for a overhaul...

i want to add 1 or two turbo's depending on the carburators and airdisplacement

for a 2psi pressure gain with turbos shoud 8:1 compression will do? and what should be the best cam for this idea? because of the overlap... but want also as much as extra lowspeed torque compaired with the original cam as possible.

i have a crackless '51 canadian 8BA
    hardened exhaustseats,
    i want to bore it up to 3 5/16
    run the ford crank (3 3/4)
    16 chevy ex 1,5 valves
    stock alu '49 heads (also have the '51 castiron ones)
    cam not ordered yet, still have the good originals
    pistons not ordered yet, but asked rossracingpistons for some examples about this subject

what do you guys think i have to alter/improve to make it work?
    should i relieve the block? alter the combustionroofs?

it will end up in a '34 international dually pickup so not for racing but need to burn those four wheels :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

just new here and just young, just having radical ideas without the realistic experience..:eek::cool:

23. Heo2

Heo2

There was some one running a homebuilt turbo
    on a b engine on the lakes pre ww2 he later
    worked with turbocharging the p47 thunderbolt
    how thats for traditional?
    More traditional than laying frame,fake patina,
    custom 60s ramblers,

24. daddio211

daddio211

25. custommachinesIII

custommachinesIII
    from Belgium

well, i figure the present way is tomorrows tradition, so because i live in Europe the parts of a traditional usa hotrod is very hard to find here, and buying in usa is pretttty expencive here. there are a lot of people there that wont sell to europe or even get money and never contact again, so if we are want to accially get the part we are allmost forced to buy from the official dealers. and i figure, hotrodding is also tune a engine up with the parts available around the local environment i can combine the two... i hope someone around here have some thoughts about it, or am i at the wrong topic?

26. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

a very mild low boost setup (<7psi) would probably be fine for the street without having to go crazy on the motor. more boost means more money and more problems. the ford v8 flathead isn't the best example of an engine one would want to turbo and then expect it to work as well as a more modern eninge but yes it'll work.

the biggest problem is all the additional heat in the exhaust. small turbos are nice for quick spool up and overall driveability but the smaller a/r turbine housings mean more heat in the exhaust and ford flatheads don't like that.

really it comes down to setup and tuning. can you do it with a draw through carb? sure. blow through carb? yup. efi? yup. any of those will work... it just depends on what you want to spend and how well you'll be able to tune it. i wouldn't even dream of running any boosted engine without at least wideband AFR gauge. egt would also be a good thing to keep an eye on.

i don't see reverse flowing a ford flathead helping anything. if anything, it'd make things worse. four cylinders sharing 3 intake ports means uneven fuel distribution to those cylinders that share a common intake port. at least in the regular port configuration the two cylinders that share an exhaust port are both penalized the same amount.

the best way to do it would be to do the exhaust ports out the top like kong did (as well as the very fast main and stevens motors). four intakes and four exhausts per bank will equalize air flow and fuel distribution.

but yeah, a mild low boost street setup would work well.

27. oj

oj

Its an inline 6 Hudson flattie - does that count?- its a buddies daily driver and it'll put a smile on your face!

Attached Files:

28. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Yes, See the websites below. The Stude 6 has 3" mains (a bunch) and with a good head (I made my own) and improved oiling can be indestructable. Assume a 75% volumetric efficiency for flatheads as you do the calcs for turbos. I can tell you that number is correct after turbocharging these motors and using a procharger on an 8BA.
    Use a stock cam profile, stick to about 8.5:1 CR and retard timing with boost. No intercooler is necessary under 15psi, and in fact would set you back. Run rich. Use a J&S safeguard. Bonneville engine is now in rather unusual 37' Stude 3-wheeler running on LPG (high octane for less $$$). The game is prevention of detonation by juggling advance/boost/AF ratio. There are tricks to deal with supposed turbo lag.
    Turbos looking almost like the TO-3 were available on tractors in about 1953, so, you could have built one then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. classic L.B.

classic L.B.

now thats 2 awesome.....need it for my chevy....whered ya come up with that?

30. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

It all started with the Turbostude. Check out that site. It's 9 below zero here today. Your mind just gets go'in and.....
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.