Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbo 400 problems. Found this in the pan.. What is it and where does it go???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Dec 28, 2012.

1. flatoz

flatoz

Auto playing up so decided to swap out the filter and have a look.

Dropped the pan and found this? Can anyone tell me what it is and where it goes? Guessing its probably causing my issues. As the fluid and pan didnt look that bad, no chunks of metal or anything

[​IMG]

2. Corey whatever it is it looks like its ben moving on its mount (bolt/stud?) and has pulled through.

Might be out of the valvebody or shift linkage ?

Whats the trans doing?

Rat

3. flatoz

flatoz

varied things. but the main thing was slipping, it was down a little on fluid, a top up fixed the slippage and I drove back to melbourne no problems. but this morning its back again, pan off found this.

I can't see anywhere that I think it goes, and really , I don't want to be wrong. I"m hoping this will fix the trans, if not..

I'm hoping someone with more experience with GM stuff than me can point me in the right direction.

4. swe64

swe64

this is a wild guess but i think the hook is for a spring and there is a bolt hole in bracket that will hold it down.

5. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

6. Corey check your email....

7. EnglishJon

EnglishJon

It's the clip that holds the speedo gear to the output shaft. If your speedo works , the clip has already been replaced or the gear is tight enough to spin without the clip. You can check by removing the speedo housing. If the gear is loose or has slipped along the shaft you will have to pull the drive shaft, support the trans, slide back the cross member and remove the tailhousing, then install new clip and gear if needed.

8. swifty

swifty

Well there's your answer as to why your speedo is not working but that doesn't solve the problem of the trans not working.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I don't know what that is, but in all the 400 TH trans that I have overhauled, I have never seen anything that looks like that. The clip that holds the speedo gear on the output shaft looks nothing like that piece. It looks like something odd was left inside of the pan.

10. flatoz

flatoz

Seems it may have been the speedo gear holder clip. As the speedo gear on the shaft was loose. But trans is dead anyway so it's really of no consequence now.

I can drive it in first but then it just slips and won't change into second. Or it is in second and won't go into third. Regardless looks like a new trans is needed.

11. Hmmm......

Will it shift if you change gears manually via the column?