Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 slip yoke will not go in.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 27, 2021.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I’m helping my son on his 63 rambler project, we have a sbc turbo 350 combo set in place. I have two drive shafts with yokes both will engage into the trans about 1-3/4 and stop. The trans was rebuilt about ten years ago and then stored covered in my pops shop. In the past I’ve always slid the yoke in and then pulled it out an inch so I can take a measurement to have the shaft cut to length.
    So what could be holding the yoke from sliding in

2. squirrel

squirrel

some of them had a weird sleeve with an O ring inside it, pressed onto the output shaft, that sealed the outside of the yoke, to the output shaft. If you pull off the tail housing, you can see if that's the problem.

3. speedshifter

speedshifter

4. speedshifter

speedshifter

rusty rocket, I had the same problem building a Bonneville racer. Yoke would not slide on all the way on a Muncie 4spd. Tried the yoke on another Muncie, same problem. Cause of problem was that on both trannys the splines were very slightly twisted, not visible to the naked eye . Shortened front of yoke to fix the problem. Greg White

upspirate, Kevin Ardinger and caper like this.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I had this problem once with a t400 that was originally set up for a bolt-on yoke. The slip yoke had to be counter bored to slide in completely. Don't know if the t350's with the bolt on yoke are the same, just something I thought of. If the main shaft has a threaded hole on the end, this may be the case. When I was messing with mine, I was able to shine a light up the shaft and see that there was a raised area the yoke had to go past to slide in completely.

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

What others said above ^^^^^
    I had a Yoke problem a mouth ago ,
    There was just enough grit/ slight surfaced rust on splines on tail shaft (350) it would slide & jam up solid,(1/8 inch ) I honestly thought it might've been some metric yoke, verified that it was a 350 yoke, removed tail shaft , & used a stainless steel toothbrush Wd /Pb & scrubbed along shaft splines and yolk . took about 1hr . I have put many transmissions in over the years never had this problem until this 350, splines looked clean but just enough grit that it would not go.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    HotRod33 likes this.
  7. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Like others have said rust,splines on output shaft twisted,also look inside the yoke. I have seen the splines twisted in the yolk.

upspirate likes this.
  8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I would go with Squirrels suggestion, the tail shaft is an easy thing to remove.

Pat

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't believe I've ever seen a TH-350 with a bolt-on yoke; TH-400 yeas, but not a TH-350. Start with removing the extension housing, and go from there. I have several TH-400's, and there is one that seems to have a different seal that keeps the correct yoke from slipping in, and it's not a TH-375. You said the trans has sat for a time; maybe the seal has gotten hard? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  10. Sounds like an issue with the redi sleeve bushing, or like squirrel said, an o ring. I'd pull the 4 bolts and look.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So hears the culprit. It does look like it has an o ring. So what’s the solution? 9A6E8DA1-D31D-4949-B64E-92D264EFEDDB.jpeg 10346925-EB7D-4D90-AA7E-CFA41A4953F8.jpeg

12. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Take that sleeve and the O-ring off. If your yoke has a hole in the cup plug in the bottom it will need to be sealed. If the cup plug is solid you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

squirrel and 1934coupe like this.