Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceV8, Dec 16, 2017.

1. deuceV8

deuceV8

took my 32 on its maiden voyage today just down the street. Stopped put it in park then when I went to go it would not shift into any forward gear just reverse. And it won’t hold or go in parkcar will roll in park. Trans is a brand new b & m 350 any advice?

2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Shifter adjusted correctly?

Hnstray likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

4. deuceV8

deuceV8

It’s a lokar shifter but I took it loose from the shifter on the side and shifted the trans by hand and still mechanically still no improvement

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like holiday dinners with the in-laws, you need more juice. Check the dipstick level. Likely you are done a couple. It filled the converter when you got it going. Check the stick and report back.

Hnstray and mad mikey like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

while the fluid may be too low, that doesn't account for no 'park'.

Ray

olscrounger likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He, he...didn' t see that part. Good point Ray.

9. BJR

BJR

Sounds like the linkage inside the trans fell apart.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. elba

elba

"S " hook fell off . Install properly

tb33anda3rd and olscrounger like this.
  11. EnglishJon

EnglishJon

The 's' hook is connected to the manual valve and would affect hydraulic activation in the trans: but park is mechanically activated. The problem is probably the nut holding the 'rooster comb' (the shift detent) to the selector shaft which passes through the case. Either the nut wasn't tight or the rooster and shaft weren't keyed together ( like the selector shaft is keyed to the shift arm outside the trans). The parking rod which activates the parking pawl is also attached to the rooster.
    It is also possible the rooster has cracked, due to fatigue and/or over-tightening and fallen apart.
    The detent spring (bolted to the valve body) could be loose or broken, but I don't think thats the issue.
    I would discuss the problem with B&M before preceding so as not to affect any warranty.

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If the valve body bolt above the S hook didn't get tightened, it will work out and interfere with the s hook.

Gary

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The internal linkage to the manual valve has loosen/fallen off; common with TH350's. Drop the pan, reassemble/tighten, and you're good to go. Sometimes, they also break; lets hope that's not the case. The rooster comb clicks into the detent spring to "lock" into each gear; sometimes, the rooster comb can also be bent/broke. My money's on the linkage has just loosened up/fallen off. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. deuceV8

deuceV8

I dropped the pan and found nothing obvious nothing was loose or came apart. Will go into park and hold now but no matter where you put the shifter it goes into reverse pretty much. ????? Not sure what to do next

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call the builder.

16. deuceV8

deuceV8

Called b&m they said check the valve body. I’m not a automatic guy so I’m not sure what that entails

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you look at the shift shaft, on the inside of the transmission you will see that there is a nut, that holds on a shift detent plate (aka: rooster comb).

You need to make sure that the nut that holds the rooster comb on is tight, and the detent roller is on the comb.

Here is a video:

You will also see a wire linkage, in the shape of the letter S, that connects to a piston in the valve body. Make sure that it is connected, and that it is the shape of the one in video (e.g. not bent).

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the pan off, and the shifter disconnected, make sure you can get the roller on the detent spring to land in every valley of the rooster comb, by rotating the shifter shaft.. If you can, the problem is outside the transmission. If you can't, it's inside.

Use an adjustable wrench on the flats of the shifter shaft to rotate it.

19. Not the reply I would want to hear from a one-time reputable company.
    One would assume that if you knew how to fix valve bodies, you wouldn't be buying a whole transmission from them.
    I suspect it's something simple, still. You didn't mention finding any material in the pan.