Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tunnel rammed small block chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gutshottt, Aug 5, 2012.

1. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Running good enough. Gotta go buy tires and see if Dunn can align this beast. Next weekend to rebuild front end and fri after to do paperwork

2. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I run 2 holley 450's on a 383sbc.4 speed and 4.88's.Took them right out of the box and they work great.

3. wtatman

wtatman

With a low vacume at idle the throttle plates often need to be opened too fay, exposing the idle transfer slots. This will result in a bad rich idle problem. You can check for this by removing the carburators and looking at at where the throttle plates are at idle position, as someone else on this thread described. If that is the case this can by improved by drilling a hole in each primary throttle place, this of course will raise the idle speed, but when the throttle is adjusted down it will cover the idle transfer ports and allow the idle screws to do their job. Start with small holes like 1/8" and see what happens.

4. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Just picked up 2 235/60/14's for the front. Meaty!

5. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Got my last tire. If you all need a BFGoodrich 295/50/15,their getting hard to find. Summit,Dunn and the tire rack are all BO, Mavis has 3 left. Get em while you can!

6. I fixed my bog, 50cc pumps, plenty of fuel out of those 37 shooters now. I also took out the white cams and installed red in the number one hole.
    Went from 1.57 60ft's to 1.540 60 ft's, car went from a 7.26 to a 7.18 too.

7. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

31 seems to be the right one. Used some wire that damn near takes up the entire hole for the idle feed restrictor. Still a little rich but not bad. pink cam helped still a little bog but not off idle now. Will get harder numbers when I drive it to my buddies shop Sat.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Where did you end up with your main jets? I've never had to go much leaner than stock, in this case (1850s) 66s.

9. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

10. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Front end rebuilt. Springs,shocks,balljoints,bushings and new endlinks. Buddy was supposed to get a dealer plate so I could drive it down. No plate:(. Got it there anyways.

11. So how did it run on the drive ?

12. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Um Need to put pink cams back in,might need to go up to a 32 squirter. Considering a Quick fuels metering block for both carbs with adj air bleeds and idle circuit restrictors. Getting a hell of an education on carb tuning. Ran pretty good,stopping is alright for manual brakes. Stall converter makes leaving the light interesting for everybody involved. Car handled amazingly well considering that the 78 regal frame was equipped with 1978 only GM multi piece front coils;). Now with the front end rebuilt it handles really awesome considering that the alignment is all over the place. Kinda high in the front,looks like when gassers had that high level stance. That'll go away when the springs settle out

13. Hey, sounds like your on your way to having some fun, good luck with it.

14. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Either that or a boatload of tickets

15. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

16. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Got reg,plates,insurance and 10 day sticker. Gonna drive the tires off

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  17. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Took her out for a short drive. Takes some getting some getting used to,driving a hard shifting automatic with a 3000 rpm stall. Ran good still rich tho. Going to pick up a couple of Quick fuel's metering blocks with the replaceable/adjustable bleeds for fine tuning. Dont really like the imprecision of putting wire in the idle passages. Got a few triple takes as well:) Overheating may be an issue as the temp was creeping up towards the 200 mark on a 70m degree day. May try Royal Purple as well as an Air foil to direct air up into the radiator.

18. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Put 66 jets in(Larry T you were spot on) pink cams back in. Will definitely be buying QF's metering blocks as the IFR could use more leaning. Will be rechecking vac when i have more time. Might be able to step up power valve. Warning,incinerates rear tires anywhere in powerband. Official weight(less driver)with a full tank of 93 2850 lbs

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jettable IFR and PVCR is the way to go if you want to put a fine-honed edge on it for sure. Once you get the IFR's in line, lean the mains until you get a light part throttle lean stumble, go back up 1, set the WOT off the PVCR's. If this gives you a slight lean hole in the curve on transition to the mains, you can cover it with a slight tweak in pump shot, or going one lower on the power valve. A lamba is your best friend when you start refining it to this point.

20. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Is running like a raped ape. The little lady and I are running to Syracuse tomorrow to get it inspected and to drive it back home. About a hundred miles or so. Decent inaugural drive. Give me a chance to check out some of what I perceive as shortcomings and see what I'll need to turn my attention to next. Probably dog runs and barn repairs:( Just in time to put the car in the barn

21. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Drove car back to Lima. Blew the left rear tire. Brand spanking new BF,less than a 100 miles on it. Seems that the Bead wire pulled out of the bead. The steel wire is still firmly seated on the rim. I have been messing around with vehicles and pneumatic tires for 95% of my life,wooden spoke and tube,bias ply,bike and motorcycle,big wheel and rubber bands,big rig tires and just plain steel belted and NEVER had this happen before and I've seen and done some crazy tire sh**.

22. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

On the other hand,for a buzzy ,3 grand cruising,race car tin can sounding ride it wasn't too bad. Moves with alarming alacrity if you firmly plant it.(If you goose it too quickly tho the tires complain) I will compile the engine build and tune in one post so others can find a comprehensive single post that should give a novice a reasonably ball park tune that'll get him(or her) on the path to tunnel ram street.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

last tunnel ram was right at the time they started making
    aluminum tube tunnels
    70's
    modified for a near cosworth revin drag car....
    might be notes on that car some where leme LQQK

:cool:

24. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

I love my setup. Its a fun drive. Just need to work out the tuning a bit better and get a new fricken tire. The rear end setup is bone stock '78 G-body. Going to have to get some tubular control arms and heims before I twist the snot out of the stockers.
    0 to 60 in pucker time flat!

25. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

I'd try to score some holley 390's if you can. When I bought my falcon wagon it had 2 600 AFBs on the 302. I had a terrible bog and wouldn't idle under 1500 rpm. (Its got a solid lifter cam with about .520 lift and 247 duration @ .500)

I had a 600 holley laying around with a eddy air gap and I stuck that on one weekend. It idled nicely at 1000 rpm and eliminated the bog.

26. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Theres no need. It idles 'bout 800 to 1000 rpm and gets up and goes anywhere in powerband. The only real tuning right now is the idle is still a little on the rich side and Ill probably get into more tuning when I get Quick fuels adjustable billet metering block,then I wont need the wire in the idle air restictors to tune. But its got surprisingly good traffic manners til I need to drop the hammer and then its HOLD ON BABY!!!!

27. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Went to Wally world to have the tire peeled. 2 techs said that the installer tore the safety bead. Went to Mavis(I bought the tire from Mavis online) 2 of his techs said the installer ripped the bead. Went to Dunn tire in Greece,all 3 of his guys said it was the installer. Called the place where it was put on and the manager started to give me the what for when I told her that 3 techs and a manager in one of their other corporate branches(if you guessed that the place where it was installed was Dunn,get yourself a cookie) that her tech messed it up. Now she needs to see the tire and the rim which is a 2 hr one way trip and it cant be done through another corporate branch. Manager at the one Dunn tells me that 6 months ago they changed corporate policy and would no longer be installing "outside" tires. Funny how I had that Mavis tire and 2 Pep Boys tires put on there. Real effin bullsh** here. And BF doesn't make the 295/50/15's anymore,they sold the molds to Coke and Coke aint making them yet. The only cheap one out there are Futura's. :( I'll take em if I have to,but they'll have to replace both tires so they'll match.

28. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Got bad info. BF didn't sell the molds,turns out that they just went into production for this particular size(because they don't want to stock a lot of inventory on a size that isn't moving very fast) Dunn has warrantied it and I'l have a new tire...someday:(

29. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Sorry bout the lack of posting,but life happens. Got about 1000 miles on her now,still idles a bit rich. Got 7 metering blocks for $30 bucks and am going to try drilling and tapping IFR for a 6 32 set screw and going to start tuning it a bit more precise than put a piece of wire in it and pray. 50 set screws is about $6 bucks delivered as opposed to 10 for $19 for blank jets from JEGS. Got a new 3-core radiator and 2 fans coming to help with cooling issues. Just in time to take car off the road til I'm done with school and find a job.

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Exactly