Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tuning strombergs with synchro test

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jjjmm56, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Looking for info on tuning my carbs with a moto meter synchro test gauge. I’m running 3-2s on a 303 olds. Center carb is primary, outer carbs secondary with progressive linkage. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I would like to hear how this is done as well as I am running 4 97's without progressive linkage.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Important to mention the unisys or motometer is used on each carb with the linkage unhooked, at that point sync them at idle.
    After they are running the same then adjust EACH linkage length to the throttle setting that was set to sync them.
    The idle screws are only a fine tune for syncing carbs. Odds are most carbs will need a linkage length adjustment to get them close before adjusting the idle screws

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I’m not running idle screws on the secondary’s. Will this matter. I’m looking to set the mixture needles[​IMG]

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’ll have to nod to someone more knowledgeable on that question. I Never ran carbs without idle screws.

6. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

7. Jim, are you idling on all three or have you got the secondary carbs totally blocked off with the blades shut like the early GM tripower packages?

8. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Throttle plate closed. Just got engine started. Right now I don’t even have the secondary linkage connected.

9. Jim, if you do not have block off plates under the carbs for the initial start up see if there is any vacuum present at idle on the outside carbs. You can put your hand over the carb and usually feel the suction. If the blades are closed tight and sealed (often difficult to achieve) you should not feel any suction on those carbs. I personally do not know how you would use the sync with your set up. Normally, as I am to understand, it is used with multiple carbs all idling to achieve the same balance by adjusting the idling screws without the linkage attached.

10. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

11. Jim, here is a clip on using the synchro on a motorcycle to see one in use fwiw