Register now to get rid of these ads!

tuning a Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

Anybody in los angeles ventura county area good with caddys? I got a 64 and had the motor completely re-done but need somebody that can tune a carb and look at the distributor.. its a 64 cad with a edelbrock carb

2. Abomination

Abomination

What was wrong with the Rochester it came with?

~Jason

3. BlownCad390

BlownCad390
    from Chicago

I've heard caddy motors don't like Edelbrock carbs. Not sure why, that's just what an old timer told me once.

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

it had a carter on it but i had it rebuilt by a guy and he blasted it and after that the vacuum was all over the place..I put the edelbrock on there and it ran great but now its missing and cant get it to come back. The motor is totally re-done. I need to find a reputable place to tune the carb

5. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Vintage Vehicle Service in Sun Valley does a lot of caddys and buicks. Mostly Caddys, but I always take my buick there and Ralph, the owner, is a really good gentleman. Give'em a call
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class="firstcol vcard">
    [SIZE=-1]11784 Sheldon St[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Sun Valley, CA 91352[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]<NOBR class=tel>(818) 252-3369</NOBR>&#8206;
    [/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

First off, did you change the fuel filter when you installed the new carb? There might be junk inside the carb already, especially if the tank was dirty to begin with.Check to make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks ie cracked hoses and or vacuum caps.Check distributor cap,rotor,points.Those Edelbrock carbs work really good out of the box on the Caddy 429's, never had any issues.

7. ryno

ryno

there used to be bob jenings (sp?) on sepulveda blvd. i took a few of my cars to him. i dont know if HE is still around or not, i believe his sons worked with also, but i havent been by there in probly 6 years and he was pretty old then so? he diffently knows his shit. has a dyno also.

8. ryno

ryno

what size carb did you put on it? the 600 cfm's should be really good out of the box, like mentioned above.

9. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

If it's missing,sounds like the timing is off.Maybe recheck the firing order too.Had an Edelbrock on every Caddy I owned except for the hearse.I'm on my fifth Caddy now.I had a '73,and it was missing with almost no power when i first got it.The guy said it was points that kept frying.Replaced the points with a Pertronix unit,still ran like shit and kept missing.Took a look at the firing order,and sure as shit,he did the order same as a small block Chevy,which put the timing and tune way out.So,pulled everything,found top dead center on the first cylinder,and did the firing order from there,then did the timing,then air fuel mixture.

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

I put a 750 edelbrock on it like the moderator from 63-64 caddy site did a write up on. I hot tanked the gas tank and flushed the fuel lines and ran it with a filter then replaced it after again to make sure. I have been thru everything on it so I know I have a good starting line. I'll take a look at the firing order, I havent looked at that yet. The timing is so erratic and its hard to keep it idling when im setting it.

My next question is about running a fuel regulator before the carb, what pressure should i be looking for and will this help anything?

11. r8odecay

r8odecay

I bet your plugs are all blacked up from carbon.

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

think their fouled due to carb size? i wonder if i can overcome this by that electronic pointless pertronix ignition and maybe backing the gap down on the plug. I heard a .030 over 429ci motor can take 750cfm

13. r8odecay

r8odecay

Yeah, you very well may be right, i'm messing with 331s and 390s and running 600 - 650 cfm, so i'm by no means an authority on your setup. I think it would be worth a look see to check the plugs though.

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

Their black from what looks like a foul but they werent wet. Its rich, it smells gassy out the tailpipe but not too bad. Im puttin the pertronix on today, see how it cleans up. The firing order is correct. Im gonna regulate the fuel, pertronix ignition and go from there with the timing then play with the carb again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  15. jfrolka

jfrolka

pertronix leaned it out, running hot now. that was at 8 degrees of timing. carb is definitily out of adjustment. It sputters really bad when i accelerate

16. Ravyn

Ravyn

Call Eric @ 818-436-9633...may be able to help you. He has a hearse he's working on and is a mechanic as well!!

17. jfrolka

jfrolka

I had a vacuum leak.. I guess the exhaust ports on the intake manifold under my carb needed to be blocked. I drilled tapped and plugged and sure enough it runs like a champ now. Thanks guys

18. sid64cad

sid64cad

what did you do for the trans kickdown?