Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tulsa labor day drags 1972 who was there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Nov 18, 2008.

1. apound

apound

Just wondering if anyone was at the PRA race in 72 that Garlits put on. From what I've heard guys were really leaning on their cars trying for the big money offered and a few scattered all over the track. Anyone have any memories, or better yet any pictures?

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I have a buddy who went, but he was only 13 then.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I was there, had just received my driver's license a week before. I took my girlfriend and we hung out all weekend with a couple of really entertaining guys from Georgia who were on leave from the Army. It was hot and humid, and a ton of fun. One thing I remember is the Snake and the Mongoose took time to visit with us snotty nosed kids. They also teased each other mercilessly.

I might have some pictures around somewhere; I'll see what I can dig up.

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Don't know about this one but, I was at the Nationals held in Tulsa about then. Still have pics of Dyno Don and Grumpy Jenkins somewhere around here. I need to dig them out and post them eventually. Those were good times bro, good times!:D

5. apound

apound

I have a buddy that ran that race. He said they brought 4 or 5 cars all the way from California on a transport. a couple of 64 Comets, a 65 Fairlane and a 71 Maverick with a Boss 302. He said the Comets and Fairlane were painted the same. They Had Kendig painted on the side as they all ran for Kendig carb co. He never took pictures of anything. I was wondering if anyone remembered seeing them or maybe took any pictures from that race. I ended up with the Comets and the Fairlane.

6. apound

apound

The Maverick was supposed to be a magazine car with a Boss 302. Anyone remember it?

7. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I was there with a b/altered car ..........1st round fodder............

8. fcc2201

fcc2201
    from Oklahoma

I was there for both days. I think quailfying day was awesome, nothing but prostock, funny car and top fuel all day with very little down time. I've got a few pictures that I will try to get scanned and posted.

9. apound

apound

That would be great if you could! My buddy would sure like to see them. And I'd like to hear the stories I know he will have when he sees them. I can listen to him talk about the old days at the track all day.

10. blownt

blownt

my buddy's and I were at both 72 and 73 PRA National Challenge races in Tulsa. Still have the jacket patches to prove it. One of the race I climbed up and sat on the metal sign stand or whatever it was in front of the timing tower. I can remember laying in the hotel room and hearing the TF or FC's start up out in the parking lot of the hotel and then going outside and watching the crews work on them all night. Nothing like nowadays with the bigass enclosed self-contained mobile garages.

11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

[​IMG]
    Can't remember if I was there those days But I should'a been!
    I was there once when Dyno Don was wrenching on the Green Cyclone and tossing plugs on the ground from that SOHC motor. I picked up a couple after they cooled off, course don't have them now!

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My buddy Mike Wells and I went in '72. More or less hitchhiked, almost got run over while asleep in a sleeping bag, and had a great time. Flew back to school (almost got bumped off the flight) and made it just barely before sign-in time. One of the big adventures of my life to that time.