Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tudorfritz slowly builds a Model A (build thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tudorfritz, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Well the tank is all welded up I bent some 1/8" ss plate to make the mounts ( for got to take pictures). The plates are welded to both ends and the front of the tank. I made up these threaded bungs to weld into the bottom of the frame and cross member to mount the tank. I also made two more stainless bungs to weld into the tank one for the rollover vent the other for the fuel line.

Attached Files:

2. This is the tank all mounted in the car. I made the filler neck out of 1 5/8" stainless tubing.

Attached Files:

3. The filler neck has the gas cap bung welded in the end of it. The filler is just tacked in for now, there is also a gusset welded to the back side of the neck that will be welded to the rear body brace. The gas cap is made out brass and kind of looks like the stock model a cap only smaller. Thats where I'm at as of now I should have the shoebox done this week then back to the A.

Attached Files:

4. lowelife

lowelife

I really like the cap there. Its the same place I put mine. Cut the original out of the cowl and welded it in the back, works out nicely.

5. jimbo121

jimbo121

That is a sweet looking car. Can't wait to see how she looks in Washington blue!

6. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

WOW,Car is coming along nicely. Really fab work.

7. I finally got the car off the frame jig. So tonight I got the itch to roll it out side.

Attached Files:

8. Hopefully it will be done in time to take my son to his first day of kindergarden. (three more years)

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Fresh new chrome Strombergs and an Eddie Meyer intake.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Looks Killer! coming along great man, cant wait until its finished!

11. josh highley

josh highley

Great looking sedan! Killer work!

12. Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Bad ass build!!! Can't wait to see the next step... I'm a sucker for the Tudor sedans...

~Dustin

13. After a long delay I'm back working on the Model a. I picked up a cowl vent assembly from Brookville Roadster for the A. Cut a big ol honkin hole in the cowl and tig welded the sucker in.

Attached Files:

14. I got a bunch more pictures and work done but for some reason I cant download them now.

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It sure is nice to see a Model A build thread and not see a bunch of rusty old parts bolted together. Yours looks great! Blasting is cheap compared to the frustration of grinding rust before each step.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  16. Thanks Dirty Dug, yea working with rusty sheet metal sucks. Plus you'll never end up with a nice paint job with out a good clean base to work off of.

17. I finally got a picture to upload. This is the cowl all ground and cleaned up. I also finished putting the drivers door back together and epoxied it.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. The finished up door, the body is almost ready for body work and paint.

Attached Files:

19. So I started making a rear license plate bracket. I thought it would be kind of cool to make the bracket look like a push bar. The bar is 3/4" stainless that I ground both ends round. Then I heated the ends with a rose bud and bent them using a socket and some plate steel c clamped to my frame machine.

Attached Files:

20. I used 400 grit then 800 grit on my grinder to sand down all the parts of the bracket. I then polished the bar and all the brackets that will be welded to the bar. It's much easer to polish the parts before they are all welded together, then you just have to polish the blueing off from the welds.

Attached Files:

21. I used the existing threaded holes in the rear sub-rail to mount the license plate bracket. There is also another part of the mount on the bottom of the sub-rail for a little extra strength.

Attached Files:

22. Here is the finished product.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. jick

jick
    from london

nice work man, little details like that really count.

24. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful work! Thanks for posting.
    Jim

25. I went with a Kugel swing pedal set up. It was a real tight fit with the steering box in the way of the pedal arms. Working around the trans tunnel and the cowl vent was another challenge. I had to notch the tube for clearance to fit the brake master cylinder in the frame work it mounts in.

Attached Files:

26. For some reason I cant upload any of the pictures. I might just shit can this thread it's a waste with out any pictures.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  27. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Looking good man, i dig the roadster cowl vent, nice work!

28. Thanks Steve, I wish I could post some more pictures. Still cant figure out why they upload all of a sudden.

29. Holy shit balls, I uploaded pictures after three days of trying. Any who this is the pedal setup. I had to pie cut both arms and bend them both so I could get full travel out of the master cylinders. I also had to notched the clutch arm so when it bottoms out on the steering box the clutch master cylinder is at it's full travel.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're building a hot rod there, Fritz, if I'm not mistaken! :D
    Nice work . . . you Yanks have got it going on!