Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tudorfritz slowly builds a Model A (build thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tudorfritz, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Fire wall with all the holes filled and finished welded and ground.

Attached Files:

2. Coming along very nicely, sir.

I am enjoying your build very much!

3. The fire wall was looking a little too smooth so I added a 7/8" flange around the recess. The flange in welded all the way around, I then ground it down smooth. I added steel buck rivets so it looks as if the recess is just flanged and riveted in.

Attached Files:

4. Floors and tunnel coming up next

Attached Files:

5. I made the trans tunnel in two pieces. First made a paper templet of one side then transfered that to 18ga sheet metal. I rolled them by hand over the braces that are welded into the floor. Once they were close I tig welded the two together down the center. Hammered and dollied the weld and rolled it around in the english wheel to smooth it all out.

Attached Files:

6. Next came the floor pans. Started off with the paper templets then to 18ga sheet metal. I marked out where all the sub rails were and rolled some beads in the pans.

Attached Files:

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Great looking build.

8. reaper71

reaper71

First off. i can't believe how nice the body was on that old girl! did you get it from a museum storage building lol:eek:

9. Far from it I replaced the whole bottom 6" of the body. The black primer hid some hacks handy work of bondo and bird shit welds.

10. I sprayed some 3m weld thru primer on the sub rails and the under side of the floor pans. Drilled a shit load of 5/16 holes for the plug welds, clamped it in place and welded it up.

Attached Files:

11. With both sides of the floor welded in, I cut the hole for the shifter in the front half of the tunnel and got it tacked in.

Attached Files:

12. reaper71

reaper71

Lmao!!!! i feel your pain we had a car in the shop that the origanal owner had the front stub welded in 1 1/2 out of square!!:eek: and removed the X member as well ! then used spray foam to fill holes... this dumb a$$ was a world class juryrigger we have the car straightened out now and fully rebuilt but what a nightmare.
    P.S. looks bitchin!!!

13. I have had a few guys ask me about the steering setup so I thought I'd post some pictures.

Attached Files:

14. I finished up the front part of the floor. The rear half over top of the rear axle I'm going to finish after I finish building the gas tank.

Attached Files:

15. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great looking build!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

VERY nice work!! Thanks for the photo updates...

Malcolm

17. I started building the gas tank the other day. It's made out of 16ga 304 stainless steel. The tank fits behind the rear crossmember and between the frame rails. I put two baffles in the tank to keep the gas from sloshing around too much. I still have to figure out what kind of filler and gas cap to use but it will probably go under the rear window.

Attached Files:

18. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Your work looks great man... Just a suggestion though. You might wanna think about making part of the trans tunnel removable. It has made a few things I have encountered so far a lot easier being able to take mine off.

19. The trans tunnel is welded in solid, but thats why I made the trans crossmember removable.

20. Great work. I hope my RPU turns out as nice.

21. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Mad skills. Lot of good build threads on tonight. This one is coming along great.

22. patman

patman

If it's not already all welded up...

Might want to consider adding some of the fuel cell safety foam stuff in there. That can make a big difference in an accident, and doesn't take away much volume.

23. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great build and fab work. Going to be a killer car.

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Scott, this thing looks fucking awesome! BEAUTIFUL fab work, top notch!

25. Aww thanks guys, your making me blush. I got the tank all welded together already. I thought about that foam but after about 5-6 years the stuff starts to break down. About 10 years ago when I was racing stock cars a bunch of guys in the series including me had problems with that foam. It was coming apart and plugging up fuel filters and getting into the carbs.

26. reaper71

reaper71

Keep those updates coming!!:cool:

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. 49chev

49chev

Looks great. Cant wait to see more!

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Any progress Scott? Or are you devoting your time to another tudor?

30. No progress lately I've been putting the shoebox back together so it will be ready for the Showdown.