Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tudorfritz slowly builds a Model A (build thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tudorfritz, Dec 20, 2009.

1. I bought this off ebay about two years ago. I have been working on it for about a year and a half. First I sold every thing I was not going to use (motor/trany, fenders, hood) got about half my money back. I chopped the car 5" channeled it 4" it's got a 1950 ford flathead ,manual trans. 9" rear. It will be painted Washington blue (shiny) with a black top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Looks like a great start.
    You'll like that Dagels X member, I put it in my A also.

3. I boxed the rails and added a x member and a lowered front cross member. The front frame horns were bobbed for axle clearance. The rear rails were built out of 2"x3" with a 14" kick up.

Attached Files:

4. I made my own front shackle mounts they are welded to the split bones . This let me move the axle forward about 6". The front shock mounts were made out of 1" round tube 3/16 wall . I rolled them to give them some style and they will serve as the headlight mounts.

Attached Files:

5. pecker head

pecker head

Suite ! I dig it !

6. Frame mounts for the motor were built out of 4" square tube. The Dagles x member had to be tweaked to rase the motor and trany. for ground clearance.

Attached Files:

7. The headers are built out of 1 5/8" j bends all tig welded together. They will have motorcycle baffles in them. I'm going to have them jet hot coated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

Very nice work, Fritz.

Clean design elements and obviously well thought out.

**Edit** I obviously posted before you were done.
    I'll just sit back and enjoy the rest. :)

9. . I built a cage to mount the box, the pedals will also mount to this. The pitman arm was machined from a solid bar and a 1/2" plate cut on a water jet and tig welded together. I found the 1940 Ford dash in the classifieds cut it down and reshaped the top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  10. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

11. The spacer on the tie rod was a solid bar that I drilled on my lathe and they are welded to the steering arm. There was no clearance for the drag link under the spring. I really don't like the way they look and I will try to figure some thing else out.

12. 41fastback

41fastback

Nice work. Can you post more pics of your pitman arm, and the installed cage? Is the cage fastened to the frame or subframe? I happen to be working up a design for my A steering and looking for ideas. Thanks.

13. The cage will bolt to the frame . I am going to put two more brackets on the top so it will also bolt to the A pilers so it will be rock solid .

Attached Files:

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Looks great Fritz, we are traveling down the same road. What radiator did you use? I've gotta change radiators to make everything work like I planned.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looks most excellent so far. keep up the great work!

16. Performance Rod & Custom Inc. built the radiator for me. They can build any size or shape you want and it only took a week or two. They made it fit the 1930 rad. shell and 4" shorter with flathead water outlets.

17. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Wow very nice work. I like your headlight/shock mount. I'm thinking of doing something similar on my 34 pick up.

18. Nice fab work, thanks for posting!

19. HotRod33

HotRod33

Wow great looking car a some nice work...........

20. Thanks guys, I will try to take some more pictures tonight.

21. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

lots of nice work you've done there!!!

22. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Real nice !

23. I finished up most of the sub rails, I used 1/2"x 1" tube. I also made the inner rocker panels and got the back half of the frame welded up.

Attached Files:

spiffy1937 likes this.
  24. I cleaned up the rear wheel well area where the axle slot is. I boxed the outer panel to the inner rocker and used the cut off piece as a bolt in filler panel. It just finishes it off rather than having a long slot in the wheel well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    D-Russ likes this.
  25. A-BOMB #1

A-BOMB #1

Nice build! I really like the filler below the rear axle. Did you weld your dash in or is it bolted in?

26. Glen

Glen

nice work.....keep the pics coming.

27. the-rodster

the-rodster

Very nice work, indeed.

Gunna be a killer ride.

You gotta do something different with that steering/front axle setup.

Normally, when you attach the spring to the bones, you don't need a dropped axle, and the associated tie rod clearance problems.

Rich

28. The dash bolts in with 10-32 button head bolts hidden behind the dash.

29. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Killer Build
    Your subrails look awesome.

30. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

nice build ! looking good