Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tudor Tilt Seat Base

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I’m planning ahead a little for when I install seats in the 32 tudor. I’ve got a set of front buckets that don’t look too modern, with the headrests removed. I’d like to make the entire passenger front seat tilt for rear seat access like Ford did originally.

I remember seeing 1 or 2 companies through the years sell a front seat base that allows that, but I can’t remember who it was.

Also, I wouldn’t mind building one if anyone has some clear pictures/ideas for the hinge and latch mechanism. Your help is appreciated.

Dan

2. How about mounting the seat to a simple 1" square tube frame, and hinge the front of the frame to the floor. If you take some measurements, I'll draw up a CAD plan for ya.

3. Will the seat back fold down first and then hinge forward at the seat base? I've thought of this for my tudor A...right now I have fixed back buckets (early jeep seats) but just hinging at the base isn't as good of access. I might make a quick release pin within a frame to just pop it loose and move it forward briefly. But my kids are real young and I need to be able to get back there and buckle them in.

Just a thought to share.

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks Richard, I'll get the measurements tonight when I get home.

Dragdoc, I'm thinking the seat could fold or not. Also am thinking about a pivoting hook mounted under the rear of the seat to keep it from tilting when not needed.

5. You could adapt the mechanism from under minivan seats.Lots of them have a hook mechanism to allow for access to third row seating.;)

6. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

7. FWIW, the bucket seats on 2-door Chevy Blazers (& Jeep Cherokees, too, I think) tilt forward for back seat access.

8. budd

budd

passenger seat from a brunco 2, keep your ford all ford.

9. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks for the ideas guys, I will keep an eye out of bronco, blazer, jeep seats.

The seats I have were free, so I'm tempted to what I can do with them, and improve my fabrication skills.

Richard D, I measured the seat tracks on my seats and they are 18" apart and 15" long, outside to outside. If you can whip up a design that would be cool. Thanks.

Dan

10. "Wise Guys" makes a tilt seat pedestal if you want to take the 1-800 route ;). Here's a link:http://www.wiseguys-seats.com/catalog_addtl_seat_access.html

Finally, while walking through the parking lot this morning, I noticed a woman getting her briefcase out of a new VW Beetle convertible. The front seat pivoted forward kinda like the wise guys design.

I've been thinking about this issue with my family of four squeezing into my '28 tudor. Hope this helps.

11. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Gary, thanks for the link to wiseguys. I checked the price and it's $125, ouch. Probably not bad really when you figure your time. But sometimes I like to see if I can make one of whatever (and I'm really cheap). ;)

The V-dub sounds interesting also. Need to check that out along with the others in my sweep of the junkyards, err I mean auto recycling centers. :D

12. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

h.r.d.
    i used a bronco II pass. side pedestal, and then mounted my 323 mazda seat on top. when i want to load something, in or out, i just hit the lever and the seat moves forward and the seat back folds to the front. works like a charm.
    good luck,
    dan

13. Dan, check your email, I don't know how to post a pdf file. I think you could make what you need for about $10-$20. Spend the rest on beer. For me. What part of Texas are you in?

14. Another idea, here's how I did mine. It tilts forward, and also lifts up for access to under-seat storage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Richard D I got the file, thanks. I live in North Texas near Fort Worth. May be a little drive for the beer.:D

I'm still thinkin about the latch for this set-up. I think I'm gonna do a spring loaded handle with a hook.

Your setup looks interesting. What are you using to keep it latched?

16. I modified the stock latch so it would stand in the stock uprght position, or lean back further, and still lock in place.

17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Model a easy entry.. as long as your seats have folding backs all ya need to do is when you get in from the passenger side fold the back of the drivers seat forward and step thru and into the rear of the car.. Believe me its that simple.
    Dave