Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks 29 Roadster Build ---->

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Can't believe your gettin married in a month. So excited for you guys

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Update:

Ok... I've been getting more parts and pieces and decided that this extreme cold up here (-20 F) I should work on some things I can handle indoors.

So I started to rebuild my strombergs. Its so rad that Clive and crew remade the stromberg so all of the new parts FIT!!

I have six carbs missing various parts- some had cracks in the castings... putting together all the parts to make six carbs when dealing with strombergs can get expensive.

I blew them apart on my drawing table when I realized I should make trays that fit in a box so you can keep everything neat and organized with each carb until you're done restoring all the bits and pieces.

I don't anticipate this set of carbs being my last so I'm going overboard... but I think it'll be worth it.

PICS---->

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  3. That is a really good idea!

birdog likes this.
  4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I found a NOS adapter and a NOS flywheel- the adapter came with the right pilot bushing which I'm going to duplicate a few because I have more than one adapter just like this that I'll use for my 34 ford.

I bought this little ELGIN mill... its from the early fifties. Its small enough to fit into my garage. In the process of finishing up a 3 phase conversion- had it wired up and it works great. It should be able to do most of the things I ask of it until I get my real shop finished. I found a bridgeport that I'll put in the shop when its ready.

The float and the inlet pic----> that inlet is cool because it olds the inlet needle for the stromberg so you don't have to have the extra stuff sticking out the side of the carb. I'm hoping that clive and crew make something like this with their new ball valve they're using. Less Clutter on the carb-

Found a bitchen hex fuel rail- started to polish it up.

Bought NOS linkage from Titus- Segal brand I think.

Steering wheel is 59 impala but Im going to notch it and run a 58 horn ring. I wanted a 58 but got a deal on this one.

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man- I'm going to make a couple boxes to hold six carbs... then I'm going to make some extra trays and I'll sell a few here on the hamb- The bottoms are getting screen printed with all the parts so i'll look like they were manufactured somewhere. :) I made two working models the third version is still in the revision stage and I should be "the one" :)

31chevymike likes this.
  6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Johnny Cola found me these bitchen shift knobs that totally match my shifter in Hershey. I'm not sure what I'll use them for yet- he suggested a Hi-Fi radio in the console... yeah... :) I totally picture it. Reverb and all...

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  7. Very cool stuff Tuck.

I've been following your progress with the Stromberg trays on Instagram, but it's nice to pull them up and see more detail on a computer screen. Keep at it man!

8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Tokyo found me some gauges- SW Marine full sweep oil and an amp gauge. I'm going to use these in a 59 impala dash I cut out of a wrecked 59 in a local yard. I have some neat ideas for the dash when it gets sliced up and sectioned to fit the roadster body.

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

One more thing...

I bought this awesome vacu-blast cabinet from 1964 off of CL for $50.

New wires, new hoses and some wallnut shells and it works better than my skat blast cabinet! I'm just using it for the soft parts- carbs etc- it works awesome.

The other cabinet is hard to clean all the grit out when you want to change blast media so I was looking for a small blaster but this thing far exceeded my expectations...

which makes me think about the engineers of the sixties... THEY RULED!!

Crappy pic but I posted a carb i stuck in there and blew all of the crap off- it was a crusty old 97... came out looking minty fresh!

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man- good idea putting a IG link in your sig I'm gonna do that- Can't wait to make the next version its going to change quite a bit... been digging though cabinet books and finding more ideas! Going to make the foam mock up for the box soon- maybe this weekend I'll make some headway- Can't wait to get them all setup in the trays!

31chevymike likes this.
  11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Have you seen the posts where guys will repair a mechanical water temp gauge that have the line cut off by getting a newer one and dipping the sender in ice and grafting the two together?

Here's the link. http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Is this something you would attempt?

itsmee likes this.
  12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Woah- thats crazy... thanks for the link- I'll read more of this later. Good info to know-

haha... Non Sequitur [TM]

I bought a 37 ford sedan- it was out in the field. I wanted to get the dash out of it and i couldnt get the car home until spring. Well there were horses out in the field and they were curious so they all came around and started crowding me!

The sending unit on those dashes always gets broken and this one was intact... and I was determined to get it out without breaking it.

I moved away from the horses between the fence and the car... So I heated up the fittings- got a nice tight fitting wrench and started to carefully turn the fitting... when all the sudden I got this LIGHTING BOLT JOLT that made me jump and I BROKE THE DAMN THING...

next thing I noticed is my ass hurt... haha...

Damn electric fence...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Outback, 31chevymike and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ha! It sounds like you would attempt anything. If that's so I have a present for you.

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

and radness ensues. natch.

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

LMAO!!!

Looking good on the carbs brother.

16. Let me know when you move in with the Bridgeport, I might be interested in a garage size mill.
    Stromberg Box is a good idea I should trademark that

17. titus

titus

Ive done it 3 times so far, its actually super easy, one of those things that once youve done it your like, hell thats super easy!

JEFF

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

Whenever you're ready to sell that little Elgin mill, let me know...good luck on the roadster and the baby, I'mworking on 2 A projects this year (my first A's ever)...I'm not making any babies though, you guys can handle that nightmare yourselves...

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ha- I'm not selling that little ELGIN ever! :) I've never seen one like it- well I've found a couple online but even over on the machinist website they're hens teeth-

There is a bench top mill that this guy converted into a CNC with parts from Mc Master Carr- I want to find one of these and do this- actually I want to find like 3 of them and convert them and use them at the high school- so damn cool!!!!

HERES THE LINK----->
    BENCHMASTER CNC MILL

Outback and 31chevymike like this.
  20. Alright Tuck, you have all those new tools, and all of those awesome parts so start putting that roadster together!! :) Or atleast dig the truck out and get it going!

Outback likes this.
  21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Hey! Mikey- whatchutalkinabout :)

I know right? That truck is going to be ripping down the road this spring you mark my words! And this roadster will be in full production right behind it- I keep seeing pics of your roadster and I'm like HELL YEAH- thats Hellfire right there. ;-)

I... can't.... wait.................... OK- back to the garage.

Tuck

Outback and 31chevymike like this.
  22. Haha it better be! That thing is too cool to be a permanent piece of yard art! Glad you dig the roadster, I've been itchin to throw some paint on it... That should get you going!!! Now Shhhh about my car, don't want anyone in hambland to know about it because I'm too lazy, errr, busy to start a post on it!!!

Outback likes this.
  23. Funny. I was literally just about to switch over to Instagram and call you out on that!

Posted via telegraph.

24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This is just a mock-up...
    Getting closer-
    putting in a order to the hot rod company for the kits and parts I need to replace.

I think I'm going to zinc plate my bases. I was thinking black but looking at it assembled I like the cast color and I have a zinc plating setup that works pretty good- it plates a medium zinc color- nothing like that bright zinc that looks like chrome paint- just a nice medium zinc.

If I chrome plate the body- I should really chrome plate the sp tops and the bases which would run about 225+ per carb. THEN... you would probably want to chrome plate the intake.....

I look at this and if I polish all of that stuff- chrome all the small parts- linkage etc. I should be good... because the way it sits from a polishing stand point its what I would consider roughed in-

Tuck

Attached Files:

31chevymike likes this.
  25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Well... I made some progress!

I had a day in the garage!- :) its finally above zero here in Kanada...

and Danielle and I had a beautiful baby GIRL - Maple Rae - :)

I had 3 days paternity and then a week of spring break all of which I spent with Danielle and Maple Rae... except for part of Sunday- I worked on my pickup and roadster spindles.

I modified my spindles to accept the steering arm from a junk 32 spindle. I cut it on the band saw clean off next to the spindle back- and then cut into the king pin hole and shaped it around a ball peen hammer that was the same size as the 46 spindle I have-

Hopefully the pics will tell the story- I beveled and cleaned everything- preheated it before I tig welded and it melted right in...

Still have some shaping to do on the spindle to make it look like it was made that way but I think It turned out pretty good! :)

So this with the dropped deuce heavy should look pretty good with this following the contour of the axle- and the square backs combine with a set of Lincoln backing plates and Buick drums/48 car hubs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Outback, Dannerr and 31chevymike like this.
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Nice work Danielle!

Tuck likes this.
  27. Congrats sir, parenthood is a blessing in disguise....

Outback likes this.
  28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

:) thanks guys-
    I keep asking myself why I didn't do it sooner... part of that is obvious I hadn't met Danielle yet.. but seriously... its pretty awesome.

31chevymike likes this.
  29. ups, and downs, but if you think life's been hectic, then you're about to kick it up a gear....:D

Keep at that roadster, going to be ace...

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tuck.Congrats.Beautiful baby.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Aswright likes this.