Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks 29 Roadster Build ---->

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah I'm sure it's on the Interweb somewhere-

I'm working on getting this thing back to being a roller...

Cleaned up the Lincoln brakes- Honed the cylinders... need to machine or make spacers that are 3/8 to a half inch. I redrilled the hubs for 4.5 on 5 so my mags will fit. I had them drilled for 4 3/4 before. Now they're swiss cheese.

I need to ream my mag holes to use a standard .68 shank acorn on the 1/2" 20 studs... Right now the ID is .62

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447075626.716475.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447075640.218748.jpg

Progress.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447116112.352026.jpg

Here is my first attempt at making a spacer- 1/2" steel plate! I used a whole saw for the center- drilled the holes and plasma cut out the shape- will belt sand to match the spindle!!

Outback, 31chevymike and AHotRod like this.
  3. Cool...good to see you're making progress....I tried to return your call but your fone is jacked up, man! I'll try again.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Hot rodding at its best- I used a whole saw- centering punches and a flap disk.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447276702.724409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447283119.116216.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447299542.533679.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Outback, 31chevymike, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  5. Tuck, did I miss it...what size are those mags? This is seriously the most bitchin' thing I think I've ever seen.

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man!
    They're early 15x6 E-T's

31chevymike likes this.
  7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448033442.877215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448033471.642326.jpg

Just a mock up- bent the steering arm to flow with the dropped axle. Turned and relieved the drums on the lathe so they don't interfere with the backing plates... (you have to remove more than you do for 40 backing plates because of the double lip) and bolted it all together with my home made spacers and it works awesome!

Need to heat and move the steering arms to clear the drop next-

No aftermarket parts- spring perches are pruned model a- drag link and axle are deuce.

Tuck

8. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Very slick!

Tuck likes this.
  9. Tuck, I'm concerned about your shackle angle... :D

Drums look great. Nice to see it all fitting together with old parts.

Tuck likes this.
  10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man! Yeah most of the stuff I've been building in the shop has utilized old ford parts. Not a whole lot of aftermarket bits and the stuff that is I picked up at a swap or was used. I keep squinting my eyes and picturing all of this stuff polished and chromed! :)

31chevymike and Runnin shine like this.
  11. Chromed backing plates with painted centers, and a chrome axle with a painted reveal... ;)

brad2v and Tuck like this.
  12. Roadsir

Roadsir

Everything is looking real nice. That steering arm flowing with the axle looks great!

Tuck likes this.
  13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    31chevymike, falcongeorge and bct like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

^man o man Tuck, I want to be working in your shop, it all looks so exciting. I guess the old fire was a blessing in disguise.
    What's up with that short drag link right behind the axle?

jim mchargue and Tuck like this.
  15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man my buddy texted me yesterday and said where you at? I replied "awesome land" haha he said oh yer at the shop then.. I'm comin up- (-;

I robbed the internals out of the short one for the 32 drag link- I saved that drag link from the fire but I lost the small parts in the mess-

Everything that happened since the shop fire has been positive- Some adversity in our lives increases the drive for the things we're passionate about... It gets taken away and you appreciate it more than ever!

I have a lot of projects going on but I don't care- I really enjoy the process of building and when I do get a day in the shop I make the most out of it. I'll just keep posting my progress here.

I had a vivid dream last night that I drove the roadster for the first time! I got the hemi fired up and it sounded awesome-

I let the clutch out slow and idled it down the drive... And was like fuck it in gonna drive it to the gas station- no floor in it in my dream and the brakes weren't hooked up- haha... I got to the gas station and drug my foot on the ground to stop as I idled up to the pump-
    don't think I've ever had such a vivid dream of being so happy! I guess I literally dream about this car- (-; can't wait to fire it and let the clutch out for the first time!!

Tuck

16. I don't know if I've ever seen so much awesomeness in a single build thread before. Sure the roadster rules and your skills are amazing but it's more than that. The positivity in the face of adversity, the new family, the struggle of balance with time, helping kids, everything! Well done Tuck.
    I've missed this thread until today but you can bet I'll be following from here on out.
    -Ish

17. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Seriously Bitch'n build. Nothing more needs said, other then, Subscribed.

Dan

Tuck likes this.
  18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

jim mchargue and Tuck like this.
  19. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

I'm digging the Buick drums and ET mags....had a set on my old forty ford coupe in my avatar....keep up the nice work buddy! IMG_20141220_0057_NEW.jpg ...my mags are a different style,obviously..haha!

Tuck likes this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451847184.819793.jpg

Made some progress on the frame. The x-member came apart and I straightened it out was pretty messed up. The arms of the x are pie cut to taper to the model a frame.

Welded fish plates on the inside of the frame where I was pie cut/swept.

Cut the boxing plate to match the x-member.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451849108.323037.jpg

Ignore the ugly tack weld- I'll burn this in with the tig.

The x has been trimmed for the hurst shift linkage- motor mounts and trans mounts are next- then I can locate the bones and then it'll be time to setup the rear! Getting closer to a rolling chassis- (-;

It feels pretty nostalgic seeing this new frame look just like my old one! I can't tell you guys how excited I am to have this on all fours again. The plan is to bring it to the local show in July behind the ranch like I did my pickup chassis last year!

Tuck

general gow, Tim and cactus1 like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tuck is the rear of the framed Z'd any? Lol!!!

Tuck likes this.
  22. I'll be following, and i hope i am Learning :)))))

Tuck likes this.
  23. So glad to hear that things are going your way, Tuck. You have a beautiful family and clearly appreciate them. You're going to be a great dad. Happy 2016, man.

Tuck likes this.
  24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just a little :p

old pics from before...

roadster.jpg
    user277_pic26627_1226383431.jpg 102_1404.jpg AUT_0044.jpg AUT_0060.jpg 100_1378.jpg

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You should pull it behind the pickup not behind the ranch ;)

Tuck likes this.
  26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man! You going to the roundup this year? We're headed down maybe I'll bump into you there- Happy New Year to you too!

31chevymike and Ulrich Wöckener like this.
  27. We'll probably be vending it with our shift knob biz. Stop by and say hey!

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm looking for a pair of Hollywood Barela mag wheels! I found a pair from a Hamb member. Really excited about the possibility of owning four for this car-

They look like this-
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453595247.471020.jpg

I did get springs made at our local spring shop- reverse eye model a spring. One for the roadster and one for the coupe.

Not much else to report- I've literally been crippled for the last few weeks due to a class 3 sprain- rolled my ankle so hard it made a loud snap sound like breaking a branch. Swelled up the size of an orange-
    Finally able to walk today like I used too- just a slight hitch-

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453595387.941283.jpg

Excited to get this chassis rolling with the hemi bolted in it again- !!

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Those wheels are nuts. When were they made?

30. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

From what I understand they were some of the earlier mag wheels made- early sixties I believe. @TexasSpeed

31chevymike and TexasSpeed like this.