Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks 29 Roadster Build ---->

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Congrats on the kid. Love the way the build is coming along.

2. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Congratulations.

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tuck, Keep on a workin' on that Roadster ! You and Bleed will have to do a Cruise around your area. (Once it warms up more !) . . . .

Dave

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Congrats, man! That little girl is going to be slinging ink at your side before you know it..

5. A little bitty "Tuckette". Better start collecting parts for a hemi powered pink 49-50 shubox coupe for her.

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Tuckette!! :) ha- there is always my old pink Cadillac convertible that I haven't driven forever... :p :)

I agree- I cant wait for stuff like this-

Thanks dave- I'm on it- got some more done this weekend-

Thanks man-

:) thanks man-

:) Thanks Butch

Drewfus- funny how time seems to speed up now- Danielle and I were both noticing it- less down time... neither of us are complaining just amazed at how the focus on time management has changed to get what we want done-

Wingnutz- you replied too- but you deleted it- I wasn't offended by what you said btw- haha- love ya man-

Scored a brake lathe from a buddy- and started to turn my buick drums. Picking up hubs from Cheater Carl-

I've never used one of these before- they're fun! Found the step by step manual online in PDF format and set up my drum. With the flywheel attachment I can relieve the hub to fit the drum too!! :) Pretty damn cool!

I'm running buick drums all the way around-

Tuck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    31chevymike and 31Truckster like this.
  7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just going to do a quick update and try some of the new hamb features- :)

So I'm going forward with the full contact brake conversion on my roadster. With help from a couple articles from 59 rodding and restyling I'm hoping I can pull this off.

I'm not able to do this at home yet as I don't have a lathe yet- (its on my list) but I did get a brake lathe.

I'm having a friend machine my spindles to fit the I.D. of the dust shield.
    Then I'll tig weld up the old holes and locate new ones that line up with the new bolt pattern for the backing plates.
    917082_630695187005933_1174151011_n.jpg

The pic below shows the spindle, backing plate and drum together-

The shoe surface is the same width as the drum- they're BIG shoes! The spindle would actually be rotated a bit in this pic- Right now its hard to tell what the alignment is going to look like with the drum, spindle and backing plate. I'm mainly concerned with where the shoes line up with the drums.

I'm going to run the later style hubs that mount on the outside of the drum. Should be able to turn those down to fit the Buick drums with the brake lathe as well!

10326435_514939501945559_1665115836_nzs.jpg

Pictured below is my steering box- I'm setting it up in similar fashion to how I had it last time with some mild design changes- I was able to mount it to the brake lathe and get rid of the wonky casting along the shaft.

10296990_1477775052455113_1011773824_n.jpg
    This lines up just sunk into the frame a bit to clear the hemi starter and pedals- so I can either weld a new tab/mount or do a compression clamp style mount like I had fabricated before.

I only have a few more weeks of teaching here at the school and then Its ON- hoping to make some major headway on my pickup and the roadster this summer!

Tuck

Attached Files:

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Awesomeness.
    I still love that little lip on the end of the F1 steering box. That thing will look pretty good chromed.

Aswright likes this.
  9. bcarlson

bcarlson

Looking good!

10. Looking good Tuck! Can't wait to see this one progress over the summer.

Aswright likes this.
  11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tuck, Looking forward to your roadster being built. Maybe a new build video ? You and Bleed were quite the pair !

Dave

Tuck likes this.
  12. titus

titus

Ive done the mods to many buick drums on my ammco brake lathe which is identical to yours. i made a couple bits out of tool steel and it worked like butter.

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just a quick update-
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407799039.060640.jpg
    Scored some parts at Iola!
    Perfect set of Buick drums for the front of the roadster and I bought a mint 1950 olds trans from rocket olds- it's so rad-

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407799191.960784.jpg
    Couldn't help but mock it up-

I also found a mint oil pan that I can chrome- hard to find now days...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good score Tuck.

15. Damn. I'd love to find a 50 Olds transmission. Nice score's there Tuck!

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Damn Tuck that trans is so badass! I think I would have to put the tunnel on hinges so I could kick it open with my right foot just to check it out at intersections.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

OK... so 9 months have passed and I'm done teaching for a couple months. I updated my pickup post too...

This right here:
    [​IMG]
    IGNORE THE SPEEDWAY BOX haha... I bought some aluminum sugar scoops... nothing else... thank you-

I've had at most 3 days a month to work in the shop- but it all adds up. Its been a busy year and plan on having an extremely busy summer getting more work like this finished. I have a student that comes in and works with me. He is such a fast learner. (no dad around) We hooked him up with a tool box, a stick welder and a truck.
    :) he's got it made. And he gets to work on Hemi's... I've been trying to find my welding students stick welders to take home. They're so cheap sometimes- found this one for seventy five bucks with the helmet. I had a student we called "hawk" (Dalton) who had a Mohawk that took this home. The hemi that was in the roadster was in the front of the shop and didn't get as hot as the others... only ONE valve spring was soft if that gives you an idea of heat. The hardest thing to remove was all the plastic wrap that melted to it. After the fire department was done I pulled all my engines apart and greased and oiled everything. Hated to scrap anything. Figured I would sort it out later. Well... her goes the sorting...

I had a couple students help me tear it down :)

I brought the engine in and had it washed at the local Napa. Then I glass beaded and finished cleaning the block so it was spotless... tore all of the internals out and everything looked really good. I could probably run the bearings they all looked like brand new. Because it was so clean... I was able to paint the inside with Glyptal. Some people hate the stuff... some people say it went out with fuzzy dice in the fifties. The truth is... that's why I did it. It fits the build and I love details.

I started on the carbs a year and a half ago- and the intake etc- rebuilt the rocker assy-
    I plan on running stainless valves instead of the stock two piece.
    Looking forward to some thrashes on this over the summer. Feels really good to get the hemi back to where it was... standing tall! It has conformatic hypothermic pistons and the 54 imperial heads with the oval exhaust ports... just like the 555 heads flow wise just no water ports like 55's. Its been bored to 354CID. The cam is getting profiled it's a regrind. Solid lifters with adjustable push rods all moly stuff-

I have most of the stuff to rebuild this car- I'll be posting updates over the summer!

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and support getting back on my feet. This right here almost feels like a dream. I'm obsessed with it... and its weird the closer I get to having all of this stuff in place again the more freaked out I get that something crazy is going to happen again... deep breaths.... and relax- This is gonna happen.

Tuck

Outback, 31chevymike, brad2v and 7 others like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool. Keep the fire burning Tuck.

19. ^^^^too soon? ;)
    Go Tuck!

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol

Tuck likes this.
  22. brady1929

brady1929

Looks awesome

Tuck likes this.
  23. great build , thanks for sharing

Tuck likes this.
  24. NoSurf

NoSurf

I may not comment much but I enjoy seeing all your pics brother.

Perseverance.

Go Tuck Go!

Tuck likes this.
  25. Wowcars

Wowcars

Looking good my friend. Sucked I missed you at '50s.

26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The hemi is going together this winter and I plan to have this a roller for the July show- (just the frame) in bare metal with the hemi ready to fire.

Scored some Lincoln brakes- I'm going to make some spacers for the front to push the plates where they need to be- looks like I only need a 1/4" spacer- ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445133949.706674.jpg

I'm going to adapt the rear Lincoln backing plates to the olds rear and run the Buick drums front and rear.

These are mid depth plates from a 47 zephyr.

Tuck

27. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

28. Do you Still have the video of the engine startuup?