Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks 29 Roadster Build ---->

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'll post pics later today. I'm making the subframe to fit the chassis- I'll square up the body and connect that to the subframe. I made channel pieces and the outer perimeter. I plan to make floor pans that'll fit inside the channel. The channel looks similar to the cross braces that were part of the original subframe but miniaturized.

With my deuce shell I really want it where it's at but above the crossmember, I have like 17" so that leaves 13" of the core in the middle between the top and bottom caps-. If I redesign my spring shackle I have enough room to run it down in front and gain another 5" or so. hmmmm... so this needs to get worked out....
    I'm curious how t buckets do it with those short radiators? Do they work? Part of me wants to go buy some foam and start carving out a kustom front shell with quads and say fuck it tot this deuce shell... that's what I had planned to do in the beginning.

THEN... I need to figure out my mount for the roll bar in the whole floor scenario...

Thanks for all the prop guys! Stoked on this-

Outback, chryslerfan55, brEad and 8 others like this.
  2. Brad333

Brad333

Hi Tuck, great looking build.

This radiator might give you some ideas? It's one I helped design and install in a 34 chev roadster here in Australia. The original one finished just above the front crossmember and wasn't providing enough cooling. The one in the photos has been extended down past the crossmember to gain more core length. The bottom outlet comes out the front of the radiator and bends around the side just above the crossmember. The overflow is also built into the bottom tank. Then we just made some cover panels to hide the pipe work and neaten it up. Each panel is removed with just two bolts. We used all the grill shell space we could. You can't see anything through the front because we fit all the pipework and overflow in the perimeter of the grill shell. Haven't had a temperature issue since. Something like this might work with yours?

Excuse the blower belt guard, it's a legal requirement here in South Australia.
    IMG_6258.JPG IMG_6254.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback, chryslerfan55, Tuck and 4 others like this.

3. Hey now! That's a hell of an idea... I wonder how much coolant the trans cooler of a walker radiator holds. I can just see it.....from the top of the radiator [overflow tube] to one side of the trans cooler. Other side of the cooler would have a line cleverly hidden going up the side of the radiator to the top where it could be filled...maybe a small tank.
    Its' one of those "Why didn't I think of that" ideas....Tuck, sorry for side tracking your thread...I'd go with the 60s custom [Rothesque] radiator shell/headlight treatment on your roaster.

4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I agree with Rocky on the continuation of the deuce shell/El Matador chrome flutes/quad headlight treatment. Brad333 shell treatment is nicely designed and crafted, just not the right traditional look for Tuck's roadster.

Tuck, going with a much shorter radiator as you're mocking up can work. From what I've heard in the past, go with a smaller 2 or 3 core radiator so air flow is better achieved than a thicker 4 core. Also, think about using this Evans Waterless engine coolant with no boiling point if necessary to keep your (and my own) hemi from overheating. Even this radiator additive 40 Below is another option. Whatever you need to do brother!

Evans Waterless Engine Coolant.jpg 40 below.jpg

chryslerfan55, Tuck, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  5. Brad333

Brad333

Definitely agree with you 31chevymike. It wouldn't suit, especially the fact the bolt-in cover panels are aluminium. The intent was to maybe spark an idea about thinking outside the box in terms of radiator design.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

loss of words everytime! this is a very cool build. I am amazed by the small details most builders would skip out on.

Keep at it man

chryslerfan55, Tuck and loudbang like this.
  7. brad2v

brad2v

My gut instinct saw this;
    And immediately thought "yes. do it!!". Then, I remembered those headlight stands. And the Lucas lamps, that @cactus1 pointed out, look like well,...Stick with the Deuce shell, let the fucker get hot.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

roadster.png
    So 2x4's helping hold them in place...
    Sorry I don't have better pics- you can see the channel pieces I made laying on the frame.

My buddy Kev and I were chatting it up on the rad over the weekend. I have enough room to put the rad 2 core out front of the cross where its at I would just have to get creative with the spring mount. I have some ideas that might work that would eliminate the big U-Bolt setup I have. I could creep the inlet between the spring... (or use brads idea above) square to round to keep it low pro... or I could build it on top and just try it... and see how it goes as I'll be running this in metal first before it gets paint...

Thanks @Brad333 and @31chevymike for the ideas!

I'll get some foam and glue it together and see what I can carve out too... but seeing these headlights man... :) it looks cool.

Stogy, Outback, brEad and 9 others like this.
  9. Looks tits brother!

OldBolts, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

:p haha-!
    Roll bar is getting bent up next week!!! :)

11. Awesome! :D

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You're quite welcome Tuck! Go with your gut instincts, we clearly know that you can build a real period 60's hot rod!!

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I mounted the headlights today. I had to drill those stands first... the mill made that easy once I set it up for one.

I spend about half the day working on the cycle fender mounts. I had to give the floors a break. 43FBB3D2-513E-4660-BF27-E03150A3F000.jpeg C76E96F6-1C0F-4CB6-8D0A-B69538AB2B86.jpeg

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ok....
    So I totally got sidetracked today. I was working on finishing fender mounts when Bob Bleed nudged me to section my headlight stands. I was thinking it needed to be done but I wanted to see it with the body on... well I didn't wait.
    IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG

I figured out my fender mounts. IMG_3173.JPG

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Fender brackets look nice, I like the use of wider stock than you normally see. Saw tapered shotgun or rifle barrels used once, finding four of a kind affordable barrels must take some time. Bob

Stogy, Atwater Mike, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Made the second fender bracket- need to finish weld tomorrow- I also welded a good first pass on the headlight stands. Getting it ready for the Show Saturday plan to roll out the chassis along with my pickup chassis.
    D9EC7505-44F5-4DAC-B6FA-59A33B568B6F.jpeg 6A66C464-3D44-419F-A37B-DD5CE46F0E29.jpeg BF56A53E-6745-4DDF-AE36-6269E0BC1502.jpeg A0984082-7598-485A-B0F9-BCF12D623DA4.jpeg

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wheels look great! Are they original vintage or new ones? Bob

Stogy, Tuck and loudbang like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man

Tuck and loudbang like this.
  19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Great move on your headlight stands - just makes every bit of sense to section them! Suggestion from your buddy Bob Bleed was a home run - haven't seen much at all from him since the "Mad Fabricator" series of great videos. Give him my regards when you see him next time. As always, your roadster ROCKS!!!

Stogy and Tuck like this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

They’re old- early ET’s
    Thanks Tim!
    Will do thanks man-
    He’s in Milwaulkee building hot rods- wish he would start building is own but it costs twice as much to build your own car when you have a shop...

D9D85753-CB01-473B-8946-90AAD450C15F.jpeg

21. banjorear

banjorear

Hhhmm, thanks to the idea. I have the same scenario with my Walker rad. since I didn't get the A/T cooler delete. Seems like a great way to hid it.

Stogy, Tuck, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Art that Rock n' Rolls...Bigtime. @Tuck your thread presentation is fantastic and your photography is stellar. Whatta cool Hotrod...

Tuck, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  23. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Took my roadster and pickup to the Freedom Fest Show- generated lots of conversation (-; had a blast hanging with friends!

I blew the truck apart after last summer when they put on the new roof- one weekend they had it all opened up and it rained and flooded the shop- turned a lot of the truck orange.... so- felt great to get it blasted and freshened up and put together for the show- didn’t put the cab and box on- ran out of time.
    DE1DB446-44DE-403B-8900-DF2302421816.jpeg

98FB1529-72BB-4429-86A9-92A072A8F9B7.jpeg F587082C-4B59-47F0-A8B9-E5AFEC653A1B.jpeg

Outback, 54reno, 37coupeute and 20 others like this.
  24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Got my first glimpse of your shop truck - only read your roadster and drag coupe threads. Now I have a VERY good reason to start on your shop truck thread. Photos of your kids are priceless...

So tell us more details about the Freedom Fest show...

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The show is in my home town- nothing special really we get about a hundred or so cars. It gets a decent turn out. They have a bunch of stuff planned for kids- face painting- crazy hair- fire trucks- bouncy house... the lions run a fake train (-; Fireworks at dusk- sometimes live music... but music by my father in law, good food and beer available. It’s really family friendly so our girls love it!
    C5642931-0BD8-41AC-8D6C-7AD9CD42FCFA.jpeg

The car show is put on by a club that’s been together since the last big streetrod building boom in the 90’s.. since then it’s all but died out and the people that still have old cars hardly drive them. The club I think questions why they still do the show but There is one key player (Steve Ovick) that keeps it going out of respect for his dad who used to restore and collect old cars. His dad Ray took me under his wing when I got my first car- and is still dearly missed by everyone in the hobby in our area.

The show used to have the local tractor club bring all their vintage tractors but they didn’t come this year because they’re all In their eighties or nineties and just too old to be loading and unloading tractors... so the landscape is changing-

I thought the show needed a swap so I started a swap meet called the Stewards Swap but I didn’t really advertise it this year- my bad... bad promoter.

I’ll do a better job next year.

I just like going because it’s local and it’s a good excuse to trash to get some work done and show it. I’m the only one that brings projects to this show but it was really cool to hear all the conversations it started. Dads explaining to their kids this is how it all starts- etc...

I mostly bring them for the old guys/builders that I respect in the area. Those guys get it and appreciate it. The brother in law (chuck) to the guy I got the StarDestroyer from came up and said which one of these chassis is for Billy’s coupe??! (-: (-: He still has his survivor channeled unchopped cycle fendered 31 coupe- it used to run an olds that raced Star Destroyer. It now has a sbc.
    Chuck proceeded to tell me how auful it was when all of the speed equipment got stolen off Billy’s coupe- which is why it got hoisted up in the barn back then and it’s also why I now own it. Who knows where it would’ve ended up?
    It’s patiently waiting it’s turn. 6BA44851-C835-4366-90FF-747011CFD558.jpeg

I had some friends come from Duluth, Wisconsin and the cities to hang out which ruled!! I even scored 3 small boxes of little books.

26. ls1yj

ls1yj
    from Kentucky

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sounded like a much needed fun show, considering all of the efforts you made into your great projects! I never get to see projects at any show I attend, mostly "typical turn key street rods" that I do not care to see. The traditional hot rod seems to be shrinking at cruise nights and car shows, at least in my area. Most of us HAMBers are keeping the traditional hot rod craze ALIVE!!!

28. I don't think I can convey how much I dig this chassis. Honestly, I love it so much, I almost don't want you to put a body on it. I think it looks so cool as it sits.

29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yeah, wait till Tuck finishes all of the chrome plating left to be done..................

30. Honestly, I'm not a huge chrome guy. So for me, the peecup chassis is tits as it sits.