Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tucking bumpers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by James Mundstock, Oct 3, 2021.

1. James Mundstock

James Mundstock

I want opinion feedback. When tucking the bumper to the body, what gap should be the target?

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Not knowing the car, maybe match the gap above it ,like grill to sheet metal, hood to grill etc.

3. CadMad

CadMad

The whole idea is aesthetic appeal. To improve the design. Not change for for the sake of change.

4. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

I’m planning on doing the bumpers on my 64 Galaxie this winter. I going for them to be close and even everywhere. No bumper bolts or front license plate either. I would think for my case I’m wanting less than a 1/4” from the body

Lone Star Mopar likes this.

5. SDS

SDS

I have a 1955 f-100 and bobbed the frame rails to tuck the bumper in closer to the splash panel behind it... I left about a quarter of an inch and that was a big mistake. The frame flexed enough & the body moved around enough to cause contact between the two...Not long there-after my splash apron was scratched and dinged.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    X-cpe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Email Chip Foose. He will know.

Whoamel likes this.
  7. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

I did the rear bumper on my avatar 41 olds because it stuck out 5 inches moved it in about 3 inches looks way better to me. Front needs the same treatment

Chavezk21 likes this.
  9. I will go with 3/16 or 1/8 here are ones I did along time ago, dropped level with front HPIM3323.JPG HPIM3335.JPG pan.

10. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

11. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Depends on the car, the car's theme year, which bumpers will be used, the look you're going for can only be determined by you and your ability to re-style a car to improve it's appearance. Think it out, double check and go for it.

12. Always felt the front bumper ruined the looks of the 56 Chevy. With the splash pan narrowed say 1-1/2 inch,and the bumper set back,and the bumper ends trimmed a like amount,and rechromed,and the center guards removed it would look as good as the 55.