Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tubes or No Tubes....original rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krown54, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Krown54

Krown54

I have radial tires on my 1954 chevy original rims with no problem, but I'm going to put a set of Firestone 670-15 tires on them. The Firestone tire states they are a tubeless tire, but some people say you need tubes. My question is, do I need tubes or not? Might be a dumb question, but for me it's safety first.

Thanks.

2. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

No you don't need tubes.

3. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

No tubes in mine.

4. DavidP

DavidP

Some of the opinions had me worried when I switched my 1954 to radial tires years ago too ...:eek:

No Tubes in mine ... works just fine ... :)

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Be very careful putting tubes in tubeless tyres, the tubeless tyre is rough on the inside and can wear the tube away, tubed tyres are smooth. also always remove the sticker off the tube.
    Lots of people do it and get away with it but its worth thinking about.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You don't use tubes in a tubeless tire. They will run cooler and last longer without tubes, that's why they invented tubeless tires.

It is possible to put a tubes in tubeless tires but you are better off without them. The only time I would install a tube is if there is damage to the tire that cannot be repaired,and a tube will save a nearly new tire.

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

Tube type tires and rims don't use the same bead profile as tubeless. You should arrive at your own decision based on your research and assessment of your acceptable risk level.

Bob

8. on old wheels that are riveted i like to seal the heads of the rivets with silicone or JB weld to make sure there are no small leaks there

9. Krown54

Krown54

Thanks for all the input, I wasn't going to run tubes but just wanted to make sure.

10. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

+1 check your centers when the tires are dismounted. If they are riveted, save a headache and do as suggested.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

If, you have good old stock wheels steel wheels your good to go, it's the alloy wheels that most say are questionable.

CRUISER :cool: