Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tube Shocks w/ 40 Ford Front Sway Bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 ROKIT, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Would like to get some ideas on how guys have converted to tube style shocks. (Can't find anything in Search)
    I am using the complete '40 front end in my '36, and find that the sway bar
    interferes when trying to mount shocks in front of the axle. Both the F-1 and
    aftermarket kits go this route.
    Has anyone tried mounting them behind the axle, and if so, how did you go
    about it? Pics appreciated...
    Robb

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My 40 had the aftermarket/Ford retro-fit Houdaille Airplane Shocks on the front and rear.
    The front shock brackets mounted in the place of the original Houdaille lever arm shocks leaning forward. The shock mounted to a special stud which had a tapered end which inserted into the axle bolt "ear" where the originals shock link bolted in.

So, in service, the shocks mounted slanting forward from the bottom mount to the top mount. Worked great with the old-d-d-d-d-d-d shocks, greater with new gas-filled shocks.

3. Hmmmmm, I've seen this setup on some pickups, but it seems like they should mount
    slanted back toward the rear, instead, to counter any front "diving" when braking. Guess
    I'll have to get creative; it should not be that complicated. Thanks, phr.

Anyone tried a different method, avoiding the sway bar??

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The shocks don't lean way far forward, don't get me wrong. The shock mounting bolts mount pointing OUT from the frame not inline with the frame like the later ones.
    It's the Ford way, simple and effective.

5. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

Check out "chassis engineering" They got a front shock kit that that makes it easy to use tube shocks...

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

But does it clear a factory 40 Sway bar...that is the question.

7. My take on the situation.

[​IMG]

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Now that is nice work. Should work as designed. What make is the sway bar?

9. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about, Polacko! Very creative, yet so simple. Top mount
    even resembles the stock '36. Think I'll try it; thanks so much for the good pic, too!
    Robb

10. I used the center section from an aftermarket Mustang II bar and made my own ends from 3/8" stock. Two sleeves were slid over the bar before the ends were welded on both sides, then the sleeves slid outward and welded to the arm. I used standard frame mounting hardware from Energy suspension and a pair of male/female heims to make the axle connection.

On the shocks, just a slice of 3/8 welded to the top of the spring perch with a standard shock stud.