Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tube Shocks for any hotrod...almost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Sep 9, 2009.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

A couple of posts this week have asked about what shocks to use on a given hotrod. I'm shopping myself, so I took an interest.

A couple of HAMBers kindly posted this link to the Gabriel Shock Catalog.
    http://www.gabriel.com/documents/2006_catalog/2006 Gabriel Catalog final Reduced.pdf

Cool, but big. I decided to crunch it down to size. (see attachment)

Here's 50 to choose from. I narrowed it to the following criteria:
    Eye ring type mounts at both ends, using 1/2" or 5/8" bolts or studs
    Stroke of 3 to 7 inches
    Installed length @ ride height of less than 18 inches

I calculated the installed length based on the standard assumption of 1/3 travel used sitting static, 2/3 remaining for compression. You could install them at the half way point, just add half the stroke to the collapsed length to get installed length.

You will still need to look at the catalog to see what the specific type of eye ring is for a given part number, and what product line it is in, but this will speed the search.

Find one you like and you might cross that number to another manufacturer.

Have fun!

Attached Files:

2. Good info there. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

3. madwrencher

madwrencher
    from ohio

autozone sells gabriel shocks you could go to their website and type in the part number.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

saved , thanks for doing that

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

In the cars I've done the stock 48 ford deluxe shocks work great. I've got a complete set ready to go on my 32. just go to napa and tell em you want a set of 48 ford deluxe shocks and after they give you that "are you pulling my leg" look tell em it's in the computer and yes, you have them in stock. they are 16.99 each and have a dust shield, which in my useless opinion is a requirement of a vintage look to a tube shock. anyone have pics of a tube shock without one in the 50's......

fronts= RR 94038
    Upper Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Lower Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Compressed Length:11.25"
    Extended length:17.875"
    Travel Length:6.625"

rears= RR 94008
    Upper Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Lower Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Compressed Length:12"
    Extended length:19.5"
    Travel Length:7.5"

6. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Scotty thanks for posting this. Would you be able to post the spreadsheet as an excel file? (Or the Open Office equal).

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

16.99 each and have a dust shield, which in my useless opinion is a requirement of a vintage look to a tube shock. anyone have pics of a tube shock without one in the 50's......

RIGHT ON!!! In '72, the 'guys that KNOW' advertised with a 'hot rod repair shop'. The fix for everything was a 4-bar setup, (looked like shit with the G.M. rubber bushed ends) and the new esposed shaft tube shocks! The guys running these all looked the same, too.

8. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Shit...man you are my hero! Thanks

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Here's the workbook. It's fast and dirty, no no shit talking. If you get confused by this, you're on your own! :)

I had to reduce it down to the 175 or so that had 1/2" or 5/8" eyes. The unabridged list was too large to upload here.

Attached Files:

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

Is there any way to figure out what weight a shock is designed to handle? I put Chevy C-10 front shocks on the rear of my '53 Chevy* - they fit perfectly but they were so stiff that the rear wheels actually bounced off the road if I hit a sharp shallow bump!!

*Note: they fit perfectly with the upper and lower shock mounts I built - 1/2 ton pickup shocks do NOT fit '53 Chevy with stock upper or lower mounts.

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Did you use a gas shock? my experence is dont on a light car

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I dig the dust sheild as well. Anyone know if anybody offers em in chrome?

13. 30panel

30panel

I need a soft shock for my V8 model A, any suggestions I'll take tube or tubeless but not the $400.00 ones.
    Thanks for the list and spec's, very helpful.

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

As to application, that PDF file of the Gabriel Catalog has all the applications as well. You can use the search function in the pdf to check different numbers to see what they were used on.

15. damnfingers

damnfingers

Thanks for taking the time...and thanks for making it available to us.

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

EXCELLENT! Thank you!!

17. I guess I need to get my eyes checked !!! ... I thought that the title of this thread was
    "Tube Socks for any hotrod...almost" :eek:

[​IMG]
    June 1977 ... my brother (in tube socks) & I with Dad's newly acquired chopped Deuce Tudor body.

On a seriuos note, scottybaccus ... thanks for taking the time to create the handy-dandy spreadsheet ... good info to have.

18. drbuck62

drbuck62

Thanks - so timely your post. I just tried buying the Monroe version pn 31000 and was told they are discontinued.

Dave

19. Thanks Scotty, great info to save for next build ,,,

20. I believe the popular Hot rod shock that is sold these days is an application from the rear of a 1963 Corvette.
    HemiDeuce.

21. rodknocker

rodknocker

Not trying to hijack, just trying to add info, Monroe has a similiar chart that is nice and shows what kind of mounting,size,range, etc..
    http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I did the aerostar spring install on my Shoebox and used this chart to get my shocks.Once I figured out what part number fit my application, I just googled the part number to find a supplier.