Register now to get rid of these ads!

tube or i-beam and other axle conundrums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, May 21, 2008.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

getting ready to setup the buick frame for the model a soon and i'm running into some issues.

first off, can't figure out how to take the kingpins out on the buick (NEVER touched a kingpin before) to find out if i can adapt any other hubs/brakes etc to the stock axle. i also have a model a axle drum to drum but i'm not sure it's strong enough for the eventual caddy flathead that will be going in there though it would be an easy adaptation to the frame. also been tossing the idea around of getting a new transverse spring axle with either the early chevy or econoline spindles but i'm not sure which way i'd go on it regarding axle style. i've decided to go with a late 50's/early 60's feel to the build. would a tube axle ruin that feel? not sure when they started using those back when. the tube gives me more options but i like the i-beam look better. i also have a 56 ford f-100 axle that i could get wheel to wheel for next to nothing that would probably work well with the parallel leaf springs on the frame stock. plus it's an i-beam and i can readily get parts for it, unlike the buick axle.

IF i go with a new axle, what would be more appropriate to the feel of the era i'm going for? who has the best prices on DRUM brake front axle setups. the ones with axle, spindles, hubs, springs, bones, etc. all i can seem to find are the ugly ass disc kits:rolleyes:

help me out guys, i wanna get this thing tearing up the streets FAST :p

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I think I've commented on this project before. If you can't find a way to use the Buick axle then use the F-100. If you are trying to keep the car "period" you don't want to put a transverse leaf Ford axle under it. Nobody "back in the day" would have put a lightweight Ford system under a heavy car like a Buick-and it ain't gonna get any lighter with a flathead Cadillac in it. In the '40s and '50s if a guy found a Buick like yours, he'd upgrade the power train and leave the chassis alone.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

well i've only considered the transverse setup because i'm putting the model a on it. c'mon guys, keep it coming...i need all the help i can get on this since it's the first hot rod i've put together :D

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

any input from the daytime crew?