Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. It's beautiful Christopher just like you!

Chris, brEad and falcongeorge like this.
  2. jasonspd

jasonspd

Chris, I should never have went thru your thread. Cause now I must blow the 47 I bought completely apart and fully restore it in gloss black. Which will cost me a lot of money and time. Which I have neither of.

Beautiful car you have there! Very nice job on it.

Jason

oliver westlund and Chris like this.
  3. Well this weekend was pretty nice out, still cold, but warm enough I drug the hose out of the basement so I could wash the car. Also got the interior finished up as much as I could before it heads to get finished. Added carpet on the back seat riser, etc.

IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1219.JPG

Ron Funkhouser, brEad, Tim and 11 others like this.
  4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

hotrodyankee likes this.
  5. Every time you lay your hands on that car it jumps up another rung on the coolness ladder
    Simply outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. HAHA thanks. I'm trying my hardest to show how a long door coupe NOT CHOPPED can still be cool

brEad and falcongeorge like this.
  7. Chris, this body style is THE best looking of these coupes AS IS - they have perfect proportions right from the factory, just need to be lowered and raked a bit and a little smoothing off is all.

Steve

brEad and falcongeorge like this.
  8. I think people in days past would agree, but most guys now a days only think these cars are good for customs. I look at magazines from the 50's-60's and see tons of 41-48 short and long door coupe hotrods

9. My fave is Tom Shall's orange toner '46 with 16x10 ETIIIs tucked in the back - VERY hotrod!

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

I've really missed reading your build threads Chris, yet another great one!

509garyd likes this.
  11. Thanks, I don't post much here anymore, but always chipping away at something

koolkemp likes this.
  12. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Looks killer! Love the black, chrome on the inside and interior. Sold my two coupe projects couple of years ago.

13. You've done a masterful job cleaning up, detailing and polishing your coupe.
    I love it!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. nobux

nobux

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I hadn't looked through the posts for about 3 years, only to find this great build. Your ability to materialize parts and vehicles will never cease to amaze me!

16. Thanks, it's just the ability to see potential and some elbow grease. This cars nothing special but it's turning into the coupe I've always wanted

koolkemp likes this.
  17. Well...it happened, I was able to make a deal on the 16" Fiesta caps. I should have them next week. The seller was great and every sold them cheaper then I initially offered. He test fit them on a 47 Ford and they seemed to fit fine. Two are original chrome and very nice, two he had rechromed. I do plan on painting the white detail like the originals had

IMG_1321.JPG

18. About got everything finished on the car for the time being. I started by installing the new grill bars I painted. I also bought a new upper grill molding set from Bob Drakes vendor booth at the Albany OR swap meet last fall. Upon installing it I realized that there are two left side pieces in the set, no right side. I wrote an email to Bob Drake hoping they will swap me for the correct side. Beings I bough them at a swap meet, who knows. If not it would be quite a waste of money. I had to use the original right side grill trim for now. Regardless it looks a lot better. The old grill trim was banged up and dull.

I also installed a new trunk liner cardboard set that I think I may have the upholster cover while the car is there.

IMG_1368.JPG IMG_1365.JPG 50793836503__0D0EEA36-CD54-4E0D-9DEB-AC78C1EC6110.JPG

19. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

20. Cartouche, which is sold through Mac's I think? I'm not 100% sure, as I had my local Early Ford store order them in as I had a gift certificate to spend with them.

21. Not a huge update, but kind of neat...I love 1949 Ford inside door handles, and have them in this car. 49 Fords also had short wing window handles, but the shank length is too short to work on earlier cars. I sent them to my good pal Paul Garland along with the originals...he cut some shank of the originals and was able to weld them onto the 49's to lengthen them. They are pot metal, this is not anything I could have done myself. I love little details like this

IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1433.JPG

The 39 guy, Stogy, 302GMC and 5 others like this.
  22. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

23. Caps showed up! I'm super stoked!! I need to paint the white detail, and do the wheels red. But they fit!

IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1452.JPG

24. Dude those caps are cool!

Chris likes this.
  25. koolkemp

koolkemp

It's these awesome little details that I really love about your builds !

Chris likes this.
  26. Chris likes this.
  27. Thanks, it's the little details that make a car great in my opinion

koolkemp likes this.
  28. I have never seen these before. I will keep an eye out for at least another single...I am half worried I may loose one eventually

48fordnut and 509garyd like this.
  29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Great pics. I want a 46-8 but have not been able to find one. Need to trade my avatar for one.

30. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i liked it the way it was . u had a 41 ford and u thought a 46 was ugly . sorry i just cant share your views