Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods trying to glue in vent gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, May 12, 2015.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to glue in a new top vent gasket on my Avatar 48 chev. p/u. I'm trying to use 3m super weatherstrip adhesive. Instructions say apply thin even coat to both surfaces. SHIT!!! All I can get out of the tube is gooey globs of unspreadable sticky GOO. It was used once about a year ago and the top was on tight!! WHAT GIVES?? Am I doing something wrong? Any body got any other rubber to metal glue they'd recommend? BILL RINALDI

2. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same problem when it gets a little age it goes yuck. I'd use super glue. Lite coat glue as you go.

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sorry, you need a new tube of weatherstrip adhesive.

4. Yep. Once it's been opened for a while, it gets hard to work with.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use a little bit of the tube and put it aside----use it again later and throw it away!!! That Sucks !! BILL RINALDI

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Bill:

Your tube is dead. Get a fresh one and sail along in the happy garage.

7. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez Stu-----Why didn't you tell me THAT before I started this exercise in futility!!!! RINALDI

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Well, the old tube contents will stick like a mother to your pinkies..Don't even ask me how I would know that information.

p.s. Get the black stuff, NOT the yellow.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Cut it open from the other end ,might not of dried all the way yet ,that takes two years.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. ...those cowl gaskets can be a pain if you don't remove the vent lid, I just use a piece of rubber vacuum hose the rite size and just push it into the groove, no adhesive , been workin great for 12 years now.
    ...didn't even remove the cowl vent to do it.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

If you'd bought a new tube of black adhesive you'd been done by now! Buy smaller tubes and just glue stuff like door weather stripping till it's gone.

12. patterg2003

patterg2003

Do a hail Mary. Cut a small hole in the bottom if it is a soft tube and squeeze to see if the product at the very bottom is still good. If it is a regular tube then have everything ready to go with tools to spread the glue and cut it open. Often I get enough good product to finish. Nothing to lose as it is headed for the garbage either way.

13. Bill,I have had some success with laying the tube out in the sun and letting it get hot,sometimes but not always it thins out some. HRP

14. Just like the rest said, need a new tube with adhesive that still has the solvent in it. Yours has evaporated out.

Also the weatherstrip adhesive is best treated like a contact cement, put a thin layer on each surface and let it dry. Then press it down into place.

15. Model T1

Model T1

A new $5 tube of black adhesive is cheaper than screwing up the cowl paint and spending $5000's on a repaint.

16. It's just like silicone gasket maker. How many half used tubes of that stuff have I had to throw away???:rolleyes:

17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for all your info----Rusty, seeing as I have a new gasket from Brothers I'll use that. Went out this morning and bought a new tube of BLACK 3m trim adhesive, worked just fine, just a little messy. Got the rubber in place. Ran out of time to remount the vent, hope to get it done tomorrow. Thanks to all. RINALDI

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Bill, you should've remounted the vent lid and closed it to hold that gasket in place, jus sayin, hope it works out for ya now. you comin to Lil Hershey or Scrap Drive?

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ok

If you can just set the vent lid on the gasket and put some weight on it, that will help seat the gasket to the lid until you get it mounted. I used to use phone books but we don't have those any more.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. stimpy

stimpy

Now you know why we call it Gorilla snot ... if you crimp over the nozzle after you open it your chances of it lasting longer are better , the cap only allows it to stay good for about a month .

21. It might last longer if they used something other than that cheap plastic top on the tube.If they made it with a good metal to metal threaded top you could squeeze out the air before sealing it and I think it would last until the next usage. I only buy the little tubes now.

22. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I used GOOP, works well.

23. ........................Isn't GOOP a hand cleaner??o_O:confused::confused:o_O

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  24. i had the same problem with milk this morning for my cereal, a little lumpy.......i will try that, leaving it in the sun to thin out, trick.

25. LOL I still use silicone seal for gluing rubber on. Works like a champ.

That said I am not laughing at your plight @Bill Rinaldi . Someone mentioned cutting the bottom of the tube, when I was still in the body shop with Lynn we used a lot of 3M insignia cement and we still always ended up cutting the bottom of the tube before one tube was used up.

26. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Too late, but the trick to 3M is to put it on your finger and lightly wipe both surfaces. Let it set up a couple of minutes, and set it in place.

27. okiedokie

okiedokie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ok

Goop is one of the best adhesive products, never thought of using it for vent seals but would be good. Many yeqars ago a friend made me some small circles out of aluminum for the center of aluminum wheel caps then had them striped with my forever personalized license plate lettering. I could not figure how to attach them but a parts counter guy suggested Goop. They were on the car for years and on there when I STUPIDLY sold it. I use the stuff all the time.

28. Model T1

Model T1

When our milk is a few months old I seal the lid with BLACK 3m trim adhesive to make it last longer. Or give it to the kids and tell them it's cottage cheese. ;)

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the cowl vent back in---worst part was wadding my self up under the dash board to get at the bracketry. The vent seals TIGHT. Vent sits a little higher, hopefully it will settle a little with the summer heat. Thanks for all the advice. RINALDI

Model T1 likes this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Phone books are gone with the receiver telephones. I just set the vent lid on the gasket (as mentioned) and set the computer tower on it! Not really a very 'hard drive'...