Register now to get rid of these ads!

trying to find real junk yards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shane85, Jun 17, 2012.

1. shane85

shane85

so i am going crazy trying to find real junkyards with pre 60's stuff i will drive up to 300 miles away . any ideas?

2. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

yeah wake up..

no such thing any more..around here cars are 275 a ton crusher weight..its closed down and eaten up all the old stuff..cant even buy anything local unless ya just happen to stumble on it...

3. squirrel

squirrel

There are a couple in Huachuca City AZ. Ralphs and Fort. More than 300 miles away for you.

And the strange thing is that I've never bought anything from Fort Auto Parts in the almost 30 years I've lived here, and I haven't got much from Ralph's lately either.

4. henry29

henry29

What are you looking for?
    I know where a few junkyards are around here, none off them are very big though.

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Yep, a couple down here. One is open to publIc the other is not but can be gone through if you know the owner or someone who does like me.

Do a search for an old post of pic I did a few years back (Ponderosa)

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Mostly, junk yards in general are a thing of the past. The ones that exist (at least down here) are computerized and won't let you set foot inside where the cars are. Or, they are a pick and pull with the oldest car being a 1985. We used to have a great one down in the Everglades that had been there for years and years, and you would have to brave the snakes and Panthers to rummage around in there, but I got a lot of neat old stuff like 56 Ford steering wheels, 56 Ford pickup steering boxes, etc. But one day I went there and it was all gone...........scrapped out. :(

I guess some areas still have cool old cars left in them, like in the midwest States, but I bet the scrap prices are even wiping those out quickly. Environmental issues are also changing how junkyards have to do business these days.

Don

7. Bart78

Bart78

One down here thats got some good stuff. Its prety hidden and olny locals know about it. He has about 50 acers. Cars from all years. Mostly 50's and 60's. Catching him there is the hard part. Dont get out of the car without him there or the dogs will tear your ass up.

8. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

twin cedars...corydon indiana..in the phone book....hasnt crushed yet..probably more than 300 miles from ya, but absolutley full of 50s-60s cars, and hes cheap..but the cars are picked..still a lot of 55-57 and 61-2-3-4 chevys..be prepared its hilly and over grown..lots of ticks and hornets..i lived 3 miles from him, and was in there all the time..the secret is, dont be in a hurry...talk to him, let him tell ya some stories...you'll get run of the place..

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I know of some big ones here but I'm not allowed to give the info out. They are still around, but you have to know where to look.

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

I know of 2 about an hour from you. Right here by me in LaSalle-Peru. Tons of stuff, lots of fun to dig through too. Mainly 30's through early 70's.

11. GREASER815

GREASER815

What kind of stuff are you searching for?

12. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

who Johns in cabool? not a secret..Johns in Omaha..not a secret.....calwood? not a secret..R&R in Aurora? Glens in DeSoto?did i miss any?

13. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

slicksmustangcarrol loretto ky and their is another one on highway 49 in loretto to

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Those are some. The other two are friends of mine that have just as much stuff but they don't sell anything to the public. John's in Cabool is crushing out, there isn't much left worth messing with.

15. fyritup52

fyritup52
    from Sophia,Wv

Boggs in Lewisburg,Wv right off interstate 64

16. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

my buddy built slicks website.,, and hes pretty good about posting pics..do a google..

I couldnt buy a thing from him..nuttin...my buddy walked in an bought a 70 charger 440 4 speed dana car for cheap...tach and gauge car with build sheet etc..

he acted like he was afraid to quote a price..after a couple times i gave up..i put slick and my buddy together...for the site...

17. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

johns been crushing for years...someone from california came in and bought all the really cool stuff and sent it to europe..

Like all the hemi cars but one, all the 427 fords, all the 50s converts etc...i understand why hes crushing,,its a shame, and he brought it on himself...hes hard to deal with..

18. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

therea a big one in Fayetteville Arkansas,,,he really doesnt crush..i cant think of his name...oh Horns...hes got cool 60s stuff..

theres another one west of Wichita..hes loaded with 40-60s stuff loaded, he sells on ebay and advertises on craigslist..all the locals know him..

wow, i guess i was wrong theres still some big ones..theres a huge mopar yard in north east arkansas....theres also abig one in Fort Smith Ark...and OKC..that guy has tons of 60s stuff..

southern Indian, around Jeffersonville has a few..one big one 1/4 mile from the airport in Louisville Ky..

My territory for work used to be indiana, kentcky, Ill, Missouri, Arkansas Kansas and Mississippi...for 15 years had lots of time and covered lots of miles...being in the bodyshop business, bodymen would send me in the bush...and i mean the jungle...found ,bought and sold, some cool stuff..

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  19. willymakeit

willymakeit

There is one at Humansville Mo. He has a crusher operation but sets cars and trucks to the side that have interest , i.e. 40's up. Has a lot of farm equip. to.
    I have bought items that people brought in to scrap from them. Great people.
    Remover it was always a business.

20. kscarguy

kscarguy

Right aLong the north side of I-70 between columbia MO and Kansas City, there is an old junk yard with old 1940's cars up front. I think it is called Jim's Auto Salvage...

21. kscarguy

kscarguy

There is another REAL junkyard about 40 minutes north of Kansas City (15 minutes north of Liberty MO)...The guy will alow you in, you tell him what you want, he gives you a price and tells you to touch nothing but the part you want. He has cars back into the 40's.

22. Easy Russ auto salvage. Grand Rapids Michigan. 90% of what he has is pre '60

23. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

Is Ace Auto Salvage in Tonica IL still around ? They had alot of good stuff.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yes
    ,Ace is still in operation, haven't been there in years so I have no idea what's left.
    dave

hang on ,I'll post a phone # 1-815-442-8224

25. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

There are still junkyards here in Oklahoma, Bud ssalvage has stuff from the 40's up - they don't sell parts of the old ones though just the whole car ... But there is a good selection of nice oklahoma tin... Other yards all around here .

26. gsp392

gsp392

There is one very close to me that has cars from the 40's-presant times. The only problem is that the old guy who owns it is crazy and the younger guys who run it wont let you go back there. They wont sell you anything either. It makes you wonder WTF? I have heard from more than one person they sell drugs out of there and from the looks of the freaks running it, I believe the rumors.

27. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

where is this located?

Vern Ediger owns a very cool one in Halstead, Kansas. all Studebakers, so nothing after 1966. and a nice owner to boot. let me use his torch, and pull my own parts.
    http://papasstudebaker.com/
    theres a bunch of pics in my albums on here

28. shane85

shane85

cool good info

29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

491 miles to French Lake Auto Parts

30. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

There are plenty here in northern Michigan and the UP