Register now to get rid of these ads!

trying to choose a build. how did you choose?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_squid, Sep 11, 2013.

1. The more threads I read, the more hooked I am on a 26/27t roadster with the turtle deck. I think it is the car for me. Hopefully I can have the coin for a body in the next few months!

On a side note, why do some of the buckets have no rails on the back and some that do? When I search eBay all I can come up with is models and a few bucket body's, but no subframe? For the turtle deck. Can these be added or?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plan on taking a ride over Snoqualmie pass to Vantage on Saturday the 14th and hit the East/West no overhead run. As laid back as you can get with no pretenses. The best part is that you get to check out a good number of flathead powered roadsters in all shapes and sizes. Cars that range from a bit scary to world class show cars that can give you a pretty good idea of what you might want to build in the process. There are a lot of coupes, sedans and pickups in the mix along with roadsters.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Model T subframes are fairly simple. I've seen them replaced with just angle iron so don't let it deter you from an otherwise good body.

It's metal; anything can be bent, banged, shrunk, stretched, rolled, cut, welded or even glued into anything you want!

4. Good point! I will keep that in mind. I wasn't quite sure on that so that really helps!

5. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Squid;

I happen to be rather partial to the Stude v8s. A little heavy, but extremely strong, easy to work on & hop up, + different looking & sounding. Lots of kits to adapt gm trannies, various speed equipt being redone,etc. Dean Moon used one in his '34.

Olds rocket is decent, Cadillac is too, + there is always Packard, or if you really want odd (& still good), AMC. Hudson/Nash used a small cid Packard mill w/their valve cover embossing :) . Of course there are the varieties of the MOPAR Hemis. Most of the non-thin-wall casting v8 mills are going to run ~ 650 lbs +/-. *Depends on what year(s) you want to replicate your build from.* These v8s run from ~ '49 - '57, although stude went to '64. Cad & olds, depending on the configuration went into the '70s. & also early small block ford & chrysler, but there you're talking early '60s.

Then there are all the various flattie 6s, large & heavy straight eights, although not many were used in a T, except maybe in lakes racing.

Each of the older engines had/have various idiosyncronicities (sp?), that you have to find out about, so you can decide to live w/them, correct them, or pass on it.

HTH. (Somewhat)

Marcus...

6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Squid;

Forgot to mention the Chrys poly, & wedge 413 (up to mid '60s), Buick Nailheads, Poncho stuff. & some others I've forgotten. Point is, search for pics of stockers, & then modified. Darn near anything can be done to any mill, & it only takes a little imagination & effort, to make it look very nice, & different - as in "What is that!?) :D .

One place to look are writings from Tex Smith. He wrote in older HotRod mags, but Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, etc, are good for ideas. Oddly enough, Motor Trend & Car Life also are decent. Unfortunately, most aren't easy to find, except at swap meets. Tex Smith Publishing series of "How To Build..." books covered a lot of these engines, Pics & some info on "issues". Once you decide on a particular make or two, find the forums that specialize in that make, & read/search/ask Q's. I think Hemmings online has some sub-section(s) for special-make autos. It is actually like being a kid in a candy store, w/o enough coin to get everything you want... :( .

Good luck. Let us know what you find/decide on.

Marcus...

7. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

It chooses you. You keep looking and looking and when you find it you know.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Thanks everyone! It's definitely going to be a roadster or a pick up! Need to do more research on pick ups though...

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

do a roadster pickup best of both worlds

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I built what I love, a T Bucket. I used this picture as a reference.

If you're spending hard earned money, build what you love, not what's popular or available. You'll never give up on what you love, but a fad is easily forgotten.

1-800-........ I laugh my ass off every time I read that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  11. why don't you find or build one that would allow you to have it serve a purpose. if you have cares maybe build a truck so you can throw things in the back and toodle around. maybe an rpu if you want something in the middle. do you have a large family that you want to drive around A tudor sedan fits the family and lets you have a nasty hot rod.

Im working on a 53 GMC but the next build will be my 31 coupe.

good luck

12. Well, the roadsters stoke my fire. The biggest picture i have is a no nonsense t or a roadster with wire wheels and skinny tires and an early small block of some kind pounding a few curvy roads or terrorizing the local import cruise in. Simple, to the point, And not a million dollar build.

13. Cymro

Cymro

(For a T, do you really need a V8, a four pot can be hidden under the hood, ala Pete Chapouris' SIROD mentioned earlier, or a lakes/ track style car. The gear boxes to match the four pots are smaller and lighter, so your footwell can be wider to take three pedals.
    Just a thought.
    A 120 to 150 hp four will be at least as quick as a standard ford flatmotor, not to mention easier on the wallet ( or should that be pocket book?)

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Look at lots of magazines and find something that says"Build Me".It's all personal choice.I started out with sports cars, went to muscle cars, had trucks, and now am addicted to model A's. Nice choice for a first project- lots of parts out there and pretty straight forward design.Even "basic" cars aren't cheap and take a long time to build ( if you have to work for a living like most of us).But like they say(not to sound too corny)"The joy is in the journey". I like building hot rods almost more than driving them.Garage time is therapeutic, and if things start to go downhill,you can walk away.A pile of rusty metal is very patient. If you can weld, use a tape measure, and have an angle grinder and a sawzall, the sky's the limit.Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask other gearheads for help.The info. offered on this site represents years of trial and error and eventual success.Like Moe said"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed"(Nyuk,Nyuk) Good luck! and have fun! The nice thing about metal?If you cut it wrong, weld it up and cut it again. Mike from Mass.

15. Found an ad on Craigslist for a roadster project at a time when I had "extra" cash.

16. designs that work

designs that work

Squid
    Some where in your brain is the picture of the car you want. Do not buy or build a car that is not in your brain. Of course if that picture is $100,000 car thats a different story. If you are over 6 feet tall and 200 pounds a T is not for you unless it is one of the stretched bodies. Tools and work space is the next biggest issue. I work pretty slow, six years to scratch build a lakes modified. So long term work space is important. Patience is real important, you will get disgusted, just do not give up.

Attached Files: