Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trying to build a 1920ish Ford roadster body out of this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, I can't tell ya' how inspiring your project has become...I'm truly impressed...that is one heck of a build you've accomplished, and a hearty ''nod of approval'' from me & my limited skills abilities ....I absolutely love the direction you are going with this project...can't wait to see it finished!!!;):D

2. It's very clever indeed and points the way forward for those of us over here who don't have access to original tin. I was wondering if you could even use adhesive to stick some of these modern panels together.

3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I guess you could but welding isn't difficult.
    The thing is, most of the parts used are low value. The type of parts hot rod shops remove from old Fords. Whereas most people can't afford a '32 anymore and Flathead V8s and '39 transmissions getting pricey, anyone could afford to put together a gow job out of left over parts. And I'm betting it'll be just as much fun.

Outback and Dannerr like this.
  4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yesterday I fitted the 1929 Marmon dash insert into the Model-T dash. It was exactly the right height and clips in place. The top of the speedo just touches the cowl! It wasn't easy to install because it doesn't sit on top of the metal dash but inserts in from behind so I had to cut out the metal to the exact right shape. And as I wanted to preserve the original rusty dash metal it was a one shot attempt.
    I'm running with the original Marmon gauges and fitted a Model-A ignition switch in the right hand hole which is where Marmon put theirs.
    This is, I believe, the little piece which adds a little something unique to the car. I just love the looks of that dash now. I was so lucky to find this dash and it is just what the car needed.
    DSCN1289.JPG DSCN1284.JPG DSCN1288.JPG

Dannerr, tomkelly88, cactus1 and 4 others like this.
  5. I would have been terrified trying to cut out that unique shape in the dash. You did a great job though, it looks excellent!
    It looks really stand out on an already neat car.

6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Thanks Speedy. Yes I was nervous so I took my time.

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Sorry for the delay here folks. I've had to push the T outside while I do some other cars first. A '40 rolling chassis and a '32 pickup taking priority right now.
    However my brother is rebuilding the engine right now and the rest of the driveline is finished. I have scored a pair of 1940 rear shocks with their linkages complete and working for the rear. Updates will follow when they happen.

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Cant wait to see updates on this. Did you end up using the accessory T water pump on the side?

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

10. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've ordered one but it's not arrived yet. But yes that's the plan.

11. Wow, Ed, the dash insert from the Marmon is a true piece of Art! still watching and looking forward to see it maybe in person.

12. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I decided to repaint the wheels as I didn't like the green.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil'Alb, kiwijeff, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed, I am very impressed with this build, true to the spirit...

14. Much better! :)

15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I finally got all the wheels painted and the tires fitted. I'm running 4.25 on the front and 4.50 on the rear. 20170316_135804.jpg 20170316_135811.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Lil'Alb, rwrj, ROCKER77 and 8 others like this.
  16. topher5150

topher5150

Honestly I was a little worried what the end result was going to be when I saw your "donor car".
    Images of this kept popping into my head...
    geo.jpg

17. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Give me some credit - please.

18. Anyone who followed along with your Roy Desbro pickup build, or your Babushka hotrod build, knows you have ample skills. So while this was an amazing build to see come together, the end result is not a surprise. Credit granted.

19. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Don't forget the "Made in Germany" A-V8.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/714422/

I'm naming this one "The FiesTa".

Outback, Stogy and Speedy Canuck like this.
  20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've fitted the steering. It's a RHD 1932 box with new worm and sector from Macs. I believe the Pitman arm is from 1933. The wheel is an original wooden Model-T wheel from around 13-15 turned upside down . I angled it so that the upper windshield just clears the wheel.
    I cut off the original mounting flange on the steering box and turned it down to fit a new flange at a straight angle. The original '32 flange was too angled to suit the narrowed Model-A frame. It uses the original '32 drop and a piece of exhaust made the column.
    I have bought a Model -B tubular header from Reds but expect it'll need some modifying to fit.

20170403_090835.jpg 20170403_090842.jpg 20170403_090849.jpg

Lil'Alb, Outback, Dannerr and 7 others like this.
  21. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Today I made a pair of mirror brackets to fit the windshield frame. You can buy these as after market parts but they're really expensive so I decided to make them myself. Looking around my shop I found some used 32-48 clutch forks which would work. I cut off one of the arms and blended everything to look stock. I made one left and one right so they were mirror images of each other.
    The mirrors are from United Pacific. They're quite big mirrors at 5" but I do actually want to be able to see around me for safety.[​IMG]

Lil'Alb, Outback, rwrj and 9 others like this.
  22. Nice job on the mirror brackets. Your ingenuity is inspirational.

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I found some original leather door panels and kick panels I bought about 10 years ago taken out of a 1932 Duesenberg J which I'm going to use as the leather side panels for the interior. So I'll actually have some original '32 Duesenberg parts in the car too!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  24. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn! I always thought I had a fair amount of talent but now I have to see this? My inner child deserves better :(.

edwardlloyd likes this.
  25. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Love the rear view mirror- Great idea!

26. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I just wonder how many people will recognize what they are.

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

28. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yesterday I fitted the rear shocks. They're some kind of 30's things from GM I think. Don't know but they work and that's the main thing.
    The upper mounts are made from Model-A frame ends and I found the shapes I needed for the lower mounts in a trashed up '32 front cross member.
    I like the steam punk look of the shock links.
    The left lower mount also doubles up as a license plate bracket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  29. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Wow, great job!!

30. Wauw! This is such a great little car, incredibly inspirational! Will have to hit all the local junkyards in the forthcoming summer holiday! Fiesta Vans aren't easy to come by in your northern neighbor country, but I really like the idea, and will keep an eye out for the front fenders and hoods from now on! o_O
    However, how come you didn't use the panel behind the door for an up-swept coupling between the trunk and body? (Easy to be cleaver in hindsight, I know, but there might be a great reason!)
    [​IMG]

Well reused parts.
    ... but a patriotic door latch, none the less! Great little detail! :D

It just looks good! Really diggin' it! :cool: Looking forward to more updates. :)

turboroadster and chryslerfan55 like this.