Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trunk latch suggestions - '49 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49coupe, Jul 16, 2011.

1. 49coupe

49coupe

I'm running a '51 Ford trunk lid on my '49 Ford coupe. I'm looking to put in a more modern style latch with an electric release rather than fixing my original latch and running cable operated solonoids.

I'm wondering what people have used that is works well. I looked at a latch from a 2000s Mercedes wagon and it looked like it might work, but getting a used on at a reasonable price might not be easy.

Suggestions.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are lots of more 'ordinary' cars than a Mercedes in the salvage yards that have power release latches........domestic and import. So many I am reluctant to even try to name them.....but about any SUV or hatchback or mid price and up sedan should be a potential donor.

Jeep Cherokees are plentiful and should be cheap as any........might look at one of them.

Ray

3. I used a trunk release solenoid from a late '80s/early '90s Buick Roadmaster on my '55 Ford with the original latch, mounted it so it pulls the same linkage that used to connect to the key lock cylinder. As others have noted, there are probably a number of cheap and simple junkyard solutions to this problem.

4. Chop50

Chop50

Any concerns should an electric setup fail to operate?

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

My '47 Plymouth had its trunklid shaved over 50 years ago. It has never had trunk latch; it just stays shut all by itself. Battery is in the trunk - no problem.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

9 year old thread....