Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trunk gas springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive'em, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Drive'em

Drive'em

Good evening all. I need some help. The gas springs that hold my trunk lid open took a dump this passed Winter. I have a 29 A hiboy roadster. The trunk lid is steel and is hinged on 40-46 Chevy hinges. I can't seem to find gas springs to do what I want. When I hit the trunk open button, I want it to pop open about 6" so I can raise it the rest of the way open by hand If any of you roadster guys have used gas springs would you kindly give me a part number or type of car it originally fit. Tnanks.

2. bigdog

bigdog

If there are any numbers on your old one see if you can cross reference them for a replacement. What somebody else used isn't going to do you any good unless you mount them exactly the same as they did. Mounting position and angle will change everything about how they work. I can look them up at work by compressed and extended length, but with no old number the pound rating would be a shot in the dark.

3. Drive'em

Drive'em

Thanks, you are exactly right. I finally found a set at a local RV store. They are 17" long, 50 pounds. They work exactly as I wanted, hit the button, pops open about 6", then I can pull it all the open. Perfect.