Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trunck latch question,what woks the best?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Is there a mechinism that works the best to replace the stock one on a Merc. I plan on using a seliniod with a switch in the console.

2. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

I like an electric wok the best, just simmer with a little olive oil..........sorry.

3. Alright,What WORKS the best. -1 for spelling.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

[I got tired of fooling with old, rusty, hard to "electrify" latches. I now adapt a later model GM truck latch, with built in power release, to my old cars. Easy to do, cheap (often free) and there's millions of them around.

5. usmile4

usmile4

Do you have any pics of what you do for these? The po removed the latch and shaved the deck so I need something to fasten the trunk shut.

6. CruZer

CruZer

Get an electric trunk release switch from a 1990's GM car ,like a Bonneville, they are easy to install and hook uo to a button under your dash or wire toa remote. They are cheap and reliable.
    You may need to install a spring or rubber bumper to pop the trunk up a little to get your fingers under it.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I don't have pics, but the actual latch part just bolts to a flat plate with 3 bolts. Nothing fancy to fabricate! The other side I usually just make with a piece of 1/4" rod, bent to fit whatever shape it needs to fit. Using the stock part takes too much work to get to fit, most of the time. Just build in adjustment into the system, on both ends (side to side, and up/down). I sometimes put the latch part on the trunk floor side, instead of on the trunk lid, so wiring it is easier, and you can also attach a coat hanger sized rod to it, going though a hole in the floor, so you have an emergency opener. In case of latch, or battery failure.

8. Thanks guys. I'll start looking for one. Doesn't sound too hard.

9. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

I got a piece of wire hangin out the hole where my lock useta be. It works great, but locking it doesn't work very good. HA

10. Considering this is the car I've always wanted,I want to go with good set-ups. I'll put a wire back-up on though.

11. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

Rather than a coat hanger for emergency release try using a shifter of brake cable from a bicycle. If you get cables for a tandem bike they can approach 12' in length.

12. Chad s

Chad s

I used a manual choke cable from the parts store, works great, and easy to get.

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I would get a factory late model set-up, but have a back up release cable, similar to a manual choke cable, hidden in one of the rear wheel wells in case your battery goes kaput.

Keep in mind, on luxury cars such as Caddys or Lincolns, a lot for them were auto pull down as well. You lightly close the trunk lid, and the latch pulls it down into the closed position. Would be neat to have, but may take more figurin'

I have an auto pull down from the '88 Town Car doner car that I may use on mine. Fabbing up some new brakets to match up with the geometry of the trunk itself may be in order though.