Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trucks: Going Fenderless (opinions?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Mar 2, 2007.

1. How would that be hard to engineer? The KB-6 would just need the fenders shortend up in the rear since they hang down so far. Shouldn't be any more difficult than any of the other cars in your profile!

2. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Its got really wide finders, and a very narrow cab, and it just seems a little hard to set up, and its a pretty well preserved stocker, atleast for a farm truck.

And yeah....I do have a varied collection of vehicles.

3. Do like the Chevy AD guys and set it on an S-10 frame. If you use a reverse offset wheel, it puts the contact patch right where it needs to be. Trust me, I did the research for my KB before I decided that I wanted it to be a fenderless International Harvester cab.

4. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Wait...so err an S-10 frame would put the column where it needs to be?

I saw one under a 30's Hudson today, and it was pretty much all stock, and the wheel was in somewhat the right place.

5. You do realize that sometimes you need to modify some things, right?

6. I dig the cutouts(considered doin this myself)
    ...but how do you brace the frame rails after cutting out all that steel?..so I went with aircraft style holes..

7. winmenow56

winmenow56

Wht are those preeety back wheels on that black puddle jumper on bottom picture ,,look like diamond t wheels,,very sweet,,anybody know???

8. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Haha...well...this car was a "Rat Rod" POS, and judging by the truck bed that had been cut up and birdshitted in for a floor, I figured they didn't mod anything.

Heres what I gathered.

S-10 column and box are all inside of the frame, which itself isn't too wide. So it might possibly be in the right place, fit into this narrow Hudson pretty well. Didn't look modified atleast.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Ok, #1, fenderless trucks after about 1935 all generally suck ass anyway.

#2, your plans dont' fit this forum

#3, how the hell do you have that many posts in one month and still not know what we're about?

10. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Most fenderless trucks after about '35 or so can look decent, if the proportions are kept right, and there isn't crap hanging off here and there.

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Sounds to me that someone didn't read the posts above that lead up to this, or pay any attention to anything else for that matter.

Automotive Stud? Sounds to me like a legend in his own mind.

12. Anderson

Anderson

Sounds cool.

Attached Files:

13. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Now....I'm not even sure thats a "Rat Rod".

14. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I take it most of the funds went into the crate engine....

15. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

It looks like fun to me. It is definitely different, but should be a screamer! What is that, an S10? Dare to be different.

16. 39delux

39delux

I have a neighbor that has 2 of those sitting out on a slab. One is a complete truck and the other appears to be just a cab. I suspect it's one of those going to fix it up one of these days things. I have thought about what that cab could look like with a little top de-crowning, a chop, section and narrowing.

Tom

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

are you kidding or what.different thats not the point.wrong forum that is the point!do you get it yet?

18. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I just hope that someone didn't put that much effort into it. I mean, the chop is slightly screwed up, its an S-10, using an S-10 frame, and well...the amount of effort put into hacking it up into an "Rat Rod" was just kinda wasted. I mean, honestly.....how hard is it to find an old truck cab?

And IFS...blah...that truck is different, yes. But its not a good different. How much did that S-10 run them? $3-400 at most? And the effort to make it look normal...it would've just been easier to find some pile of an F-1 or something.

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

As I've said before, I don't have to absolutely "love" something to appreciate the skills required to create it.

And, quite honestly Sawbuck, you've managed to judge me by one post. Should I do the same and judge you the same way?

Frosty, I do agree with what you said. I've also been party to building a 350/350 Chevy Luv once - mainly because we had the truck with a bad motor and the rest of the parts laying around.

I still go back to the main point of originally posting this idea in this thread. I was testing the waters - more about what worked and didn't work PRIOR to building something. And, if some of these insult spewing morons would go back and read how things have evolved DURING this thread, then they would also see - as Barz put it - I've been saved!

You see, regardless of the creation - no matter how bad it looks, drives, acts, or appears - I won't stand here and point fingers and talk shit about it. Often, I'll offer positive encouragement, maybe offer an idea or three, and then step back and see what happens. If I don't have anything nice to say, I typically just click the 'back' button and find a different thread to read and post in.

As for Fidgit's creation, as I said before, I don't have to love it to appreciate it. I can appreciate the work he did and figure he'll have a blast driving it. For what its worth, many people - especially some of the ones here - are easy to incite and are very predictable. Some things are created with the intention of gaining the "What the Eff was he thinking" reactions to the build. As others here have said, if you like what you built, screw what everyone else thinks.

This thread also helped me figure out what I exactly wanted to build as well. I've got another thread on here in which I'm showing pictures of the '29 Ford Model AA truck I just bought. I'm excited as all hell to get it back here and get started on it. There is still yet another thread on here where I've decided to resurrect my '29 Model A Roadster Pickup - which has been in my family since 1964 and has gone through 3 generations to get to me.

In the end, constructive opinions are always better recieved than blatant insults. Those are what I've learned the most from.

20. I pretty much agree with Mr johnsons.

But its not my ride.

21. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I'm not going to insult anyones work, but there is a line between tasteful and something for Halloween.

Example:Old guy at an carshow/parade our town had was driving this gold/brown fiberglass bodied Gazelle/Fenderless thing, using an S-10 frame, a 302, with some engine setback. I thought...well...bandwagon car...when I first saw it.

Later I actually went over to the carshow and looked at the thing. He had put it together as kind of and dunebuggy/roadster type thing, cheaply. It looked kinda horrible, he had made it himself, and was chicken wire+lots of bondo+wood, but I appreciated the effort, and he was nice about his creature. And it was still alot more interesting than the fenced off stuff that other people had trailered in. Seeing as though, he had actually driven it. Didn't make a big deal about it either, answered questions, let me look around and inspect the thing. I was kinda afraid it might be a little....y'know...brittle, so I didn't get too personal with it. But it was decently assembled.

Sure...it was wavy, lacked asthetics, taste, and looked pretty much like an abused kit car. But it had taken some effort, and was better than nothing. I think it was an "attempt".

But if your going to do it, you might as well try and do it as damn good as you can. I know that if I hadn't read around, I would've been trying to build some mutants also.

22. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

couldn't have said it better- sounds like a cool project, and will definitely get you around. However, since this is the HAMB, it's a safe bet it's not the style 99% of members would build. Doesn't sound like there'll be anything original left over?

23. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I'd just advise picking up a pre-war or immediently post-war truck to do it with, since they usually turn out better than "fat" trucks.

24. Anderson

Anderson

Very very sorry to bring this one back up, but I HAD to make sure everyone is aware that I have absolutely nothing to do with that abortion. There was no skill involved in it's creation.

"As for Fidgit's creation, as I said before, I don't have to love it to appreciate it. I can appreciate the work he did and figure he'll have a blast driving it. For what its worth, many people - especially some of the ones here - are easy to incite and are very predictable. Some things are created with the intention of gaining the "What the Eff was he thinking" reactions to the build. As others here have said, if you like what you built, screw what everyone else thinks."

Now howsabout a tech week lock?

25. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

But the question is.

Why a crate engine in some carved up piece of econo-box-rat?

26. ratso575

ratso575

I think 30`s pickups look awesome with out fenders .....and the best part ....it`s yours , build it like YOU want !

Attached Files:

27. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I think I've got the same truck.

However, mines still laying on its back with pieces of wood keeping the cowl from tearing off the roof.

28. ratso575

ratso575

dude ,,thats just not right , at least stand it up-right :) ......or build it ..........

29. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

haha...yeah, it totally has no floor/rockers.

Just need to get that crappy brazed on inner trim out, so i can put some support between door posts.

30. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY