Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

My question is this:
    Has anybody used an SM 465 top loader in there rod?

2. 54GMC

54GMC
    from NY

I have one in a 55 Willys Truck It works good ,I'll never break it. You CAN NOT speed shift a SM465 and it wieghs 200 lbs definately not a speed performance trans. It is a good truck trans.

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

and the granny gear would be useless

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I've rowed a few in trucks over the years and they are a "truck" transmission in every sense of the word. Great farm truck transmissions though and the Rock Crawlers love 'em. As stated in a previous post 1st gear is so low as to be virtually useless except for clearing fence rows and pulling farm implements. IIRC it's 6 something to 1, about the only "light" truck trans with a lower first gear is the SM420, it's a 7.06 to 1. They also require a considerable trans tunnel "hump" even in trucks. They are pretty much indestructible though. It also has a larger front bearing retainer than earlier GM manual transmissions so try to snag the bellhousing with it if you decide to go for it.

5. They also drop down more than a regular 3 or 4-speed. You may have to get creative with the tranny mount and have to deal with ground clearance.

Bob

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Yeah, forgot to mention that. Thanks.:cool: