Register now to get rid of these ads!

truck motor numbered titles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silversink, Mar 13, 2011.

1. silversink

silversink

I have 1949 International KB1 that has the motor number as the Id number on the title, the only problem is the motor was changed and the numbers were never changed. How do I get this thing titled? Any help would be appreciated. Copy of mixed 103.jpg

2. dbradley

dbradley

Scroll down to VIN Inspection Form.

http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/OR_Forms.pdf

I'd check with local DMV but think this inspection and sign off would be the first step. After 'new' VIN assigned, then new title to reference.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 48 had/has engine change listed on the title and uses the door post number as the vin.

Probably the best and most direct way is to just go to or call the dmv inspection station and ask the inspectors. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/offices/index.shtml
    Engines get changed in old trucks every day just for work trucks that are still running around so it shouldn't be a big deal as far as they are concerned as long as you have a clear Oregon title in your name now.
    I've found out in this state if I have a question that it's better to go ask the inspectors who do the inspecting and then go by what they want or expect.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Boy , life sure is less complicated in Maine when it comes to titles. In Maine anything 15 years old or older doesn't require a title for registration. If it has a vin number then the state checks to make sure its not stolen , and if not all you need is a bill of sale.

Our State Slogan is , " Maine , the way life should be. " I guess there's a lot of truth in that.

5. Not familiar with International's practice, but Ford didn't put a serial or production # on the engine for that reason. Ford actually discouraged dealership garages from rebuilding engines and promoted engine exchange with engines being rebuilt by Ford authorized remanufacturers. This was really better for the dealers in that an engine exchange could be done and the car out the door the same day, whereas pulling an engine and building it in house would tie up shop space with one vehicle for several days. I'm betting that the number off your long-gone original engine is stamped somewhere on the chassis, because International surely anticipated that engines would probably be swapped out at least once if not several times over the life of the truck.

6. plymouth1947

plymouth1947

get an aftermarket vin plate and stamp your numbers in it and rivet it to the firewall. thats what I did and had no problems....