Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck might go to Australia, I have a question though.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Aug 19, 2010.

1. TMoney

TMoney

I have a dilemma. A guy in Australia wants to buy my truck. I have never sold anything overseas before and I'm a little leery of doing it. I have heard that it's VERY hard to get cars into Australia. Especially a custom truck with a later engine and cut up frame with dropped axle and air ride.

So first off the guy asks if the engine and tranny are original to the car because it would be really hard to get the car in if they weren't. I said they weren't. He then responds saying no problem, don't worry about it. He said he would give me a $500 deposit to hold it until he got his permit to import. Next, I asked about the permit. He said "for the permit application, they do not see the car, the registration will be difficult cause the assessors will inspect the car. That is not my concern at all, cause I am an engineer and I will get it certified and passed before rego." I guess my problem with that is I was under the assumption that the cars got inspected before the buyer got to take it anywhere.

He said to get the permit he would need a copy of the title, my driver's license and a bill of sale containing my address. He also wanted my bank address, routing number and account number for a wire transfer. I imagine I should set up a separate account for that. Should I be leery of any of that? Could he do anything with those things? Am I just worrying for nothing?

I'm not saying the guy's a scammer, but we all know they're out there. I have just never sent anything overseas and wouldn't know if any of this was normal to ask of someone.

Any input would really help me out guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. I am in the middle of shipping a '65 Ford Galaxie 500 to Australia. Have them wire transfer the money, it is rock solid and can not be reversed. Don't feel weird about faxing them a copy of the title, you have the car in your possesion and the hard copy of the title, what are they going to do with a copy?

I am sitting on $10,000 right now and have the title and car in my possession. Great feeling! Once they send me the balance, the transport will pick it up and I will fed ex the title.

Far as your driver's license, they don't need that. Just a copy of the title, a bill of sale with your contact info, your bank address, routing number, account number and the name on the account. it would be very hard for them to use that info to steal from you.

Make sure THEY do all the legwork, including shipping. That way once you are paid and it leaves your driveway, it is their problem.

Good luck and send me a PM if you have any further questions.

3. Is your Galaxie modified in any way?

4. The shit has really hit the fan over here with importing 'modified' cars. Just make sure he understands there is no returns and once it leaves your hands its up to him if things go bad, unless you want to help.
    He will need lots of info for customs approval, for example, if I was to import a random part, it will need a quarantine inspestion of its own with a recipt from the previous owner......bla bla bla, its crazy at the moment and no-one really knows why.
    As far as bank details go, only give info that you feel safe giving within reason, if he really wants the truck he will/should understand.

5. I still think it's a crazy idea to send a modified vehicle to Australia at the moment.
    It will either get sent back or crushed.
    Not the sellers problem though, as long as he gets paid in full before sending it.

6. True, but maybe the guy buying it knows something we dont ??!!!

7. Or maybe he doesn't know what we know. :D

8. I think it's more the latter. The buyer might find he's going to get more of a headache than he realises, or he's never going to register the vehicle. :eek:

In any case, make sure the money's in your hands before you let the vehicle go. I have a lot of experience exporting all kinds of things (and teach the subject to businesspeople) and I stress the need to ensure you get paid before you ship the goods, whenever possible. In this situation, I'd insist on it, no matter what the buyer has to deal with at his end.

9. As of now, anything modified AFTER 1989 won't be allowed in. Stock, fine. If it can be PROVED that the vehicle was modified before 1989, fine.

This is a recent trap for Australians who have not done their homework. Could end in tears.

Without going into details, this is what happens when bureaucrats bring in blanket rules and all sorts of other people get cought in the net (or blanket:rolleyes:.)

p.s.until recently people never imported anything modified.

11. No, not for air-mail stuff (thank god).........sorry I should have said that, shipping by sea only.

12. Original57

Original57

Is a quarantine inspection required if the part coming in is brand new? ie.. a windshield?

13. If the part is not in the shippers name ie: if you bought it and your name is on the recipt, then yes it will require an inspection, so I am told. The guy I use/used is not doing single parts and stuff anymore, just for this reason, unless he buys it for you.

14. If there is any non stock parts on the vehicle that are newer than 1989 then the vehicle will be rejected. It has already happened there.

15. Bert

Bert

forget it.........too many mods

16. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

before you give him ANY information, get ALL of the money. you dont need to give him your address i dont think. all you need to do is tell him to setup a transport company. the transport company will call you to confirm get your address, and give you the pickup time. you mail him the title, and leave the keys with the transport companys semi truck driver/car hauler. after that point the auto transport company is responsible for it as it will be insured for said amount. once on the truck itll go to the docks and then put on a ship.

as far as the country not letting cars in, thats his issue.

17. DougHH

DougHH

really the best way this dude is gunna get it here is to pull the engine out and bring it in as car parts and create a new rego from scratch. records for RTA dont go back as far as people think they do and you can do the "i bought it from a farmer" story. been done a million times before. you need a justice of the peace to signature some hand written bill of sale you prepared earlier and away you go............
    most likely scenario he will need to pull the engine out atleast, to bring it in as parts, which is his best bet.

18. I really don't think customs etc are that stupid.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Not worth the risk.
    He would be better off sending it to NZ and leaving it my shed.. :)

19. DougHH

DougHH

personally i've done it with bikes. seperate engine, send seperately. lose import papers, sig'd bill of sale note, pay the stamp duty. done. i even did inside australia to get bikes shipped as 'bike parts' for lower freight rates when handlers refused to take 'vehicles' and bike haulers wanted too much coin

20. Fe26

Fe26

Perhaps the reason he's asking for your drivers license, address etc. is he is going to organise transport to pick the truck up. As far as the license goes it depends to some extend who his shipping agent is. Basically it boils down to; the more information he can provide to Australian Customs the more chance he has of getting a Permit to Import.
    I have asked U.S. sellers to photocopy their license and both sides of the title, I believe that US Customs also wants to see the title and will attempt to verify the sellers ID and if the vehicle has been stolen or has any form of Lien on it. That's also why I have always asked the sellers to leave the Title in the glovebox, the original must be sighted by Customs.

There's no big deal about giving out your address if you photocopy your license. He presumably knows your name and roughly where you live, it aint too hard to find someone from just that info alone.

As others have said regarding the banking requirements, there is no risk to you in using internet services. Once the buyer has deposited funds into your account he can not under any circumstance retrieve them. Once the funds are in your account you have the money and the car, surely you could give a little reassurance to the buyer by providing your address, by way of copying your license.

21. there are some crazy rules that have just been brought into play in australia about importing cars.
    anything with even the slightest modification is being rejected, even down to custom paint or mag wheels.
    photos of the car along with the title and purchase documents must be presented to the dept. of transport and road safety in order to establish whether they will issue an import approval, you cant even bring cars in as parts unless you ship the engine and chassis in seperate containers.
    most states of australia now are trying to force a stop to the import and registration of modified import cars and are making you jump more and more hurdles to do so daily.
    if the proper import approvals arent granted prior to shipping the car all hell can break out.
    it is imperative that your buyer be aware of these new regs before commiting to the purchase.

22. SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting the car into australia is his problem, not yours. your concern is only seeing that the $$ gets into and clears into your acct. if anything, you need to contact his bank to make sure the funds are there with his permission. YOU NEVER GIVE A COPY OF A TITLE OR YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE INFO TO ANYONE, ESPECIALLY OVERSEES.-IDENTITY THEFT.

23. ratfink56

ratfink56

there is no way in hell I would give anyone my bank account number or a bill of sale for a vehicle that was not paid for. this has scam written all over it. beware!

24. stevzrodz

stevzrodz

Last year I bought two vehicles from the US to New Zealand and had to supply a photocopy of the sellers photo ID, i.e drivers licence/passport etc before I could ship them from the States, so you might find he wants a copy of your licence not for the Aussie customs, but for the US customs, I was told its to try and stop stolen cars leaving the US, which I geuss has got to be good for all of us!!! As far as selling cars to us Downunder, I have bought a dozen or so cars and shipped them to NZ, never had a problem, but you do need lots of info and its getting more and more all the time, I have also been in the situation where I was sending money, sometimes quite large ammounts to an unknown person in the US and trusting my gut as to the honesty of the seller!!! So as the seller, I think you're in a better position than the guy on the other side of the world sending you his hard earn savings, I like to think that MOST of us are genuine and honest!!!!

25. celticskull

celticskull

you can get customised cars here as far as i know a friend of mine just got a chev in while hundreds are sitting on the warf waiting to be sent back or destroyed
    you just need to have the right paper work and have it approved before it leaves the states or customs wont clear it ......hard yes .....impossible no

26. TMoney

TMoney

Man, I sure would hate to see my truck crushed.

27. DougHH

DougHH

and i thought i had a disdain for the human race.

28. TMoney

TMoney

Gotta understand what he's sayin though. Always look out for yourself first.

29. TMoney

TMoney

So, the general consensus here is that as long as I get the wire transfer first, there's nothing that can happen to screw me over?

30. i have brought a dozen or so cars into australia, and never have i expected a copy of the title before the car is paid for in full. i have never needed to get the sellers drivers license either, only the bill of sale and title, my bank has asked for the address of the sellers bank to do the TT though.
    i wouldnt give out too much info unless the car is paid for in full, the buyer has the responsibility of everything from there on , and if he can get the correct import approval then the car can sail without drama.