Register now to get rid of these ads!

truck died on the road again. help me, please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 17, 2009.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

truck starts easy, idles great. when i put the throttle to the floor it wants to conk out.

on the road, this seems to translate to running okay in first and 2nd gear, and when it gets up to cruising speed, it sputters, and dies. after a minute or so, it'll restart and run for a little bit, then do it all over again.

so, i suspect that perhaps the carb is getting flooded? how do i know? and how do it fix it?

help me fellas, i need this beast running for moving day. and, it's in my mom's driveway. can't live there long.

thanks,

mark

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

what carb? float sticking maybe? tap the side of the carb a little

3. I would think you would notice black smoke from exhaust if your are flooding while driving. If it was driving normaly before, I would check fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged line, dirt in tank, etc.

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Are you sure it is flooding? Does it happen all the time or only after heating up? If only when hot could be vapor lock.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Sounds more like lack of fuel. Try removing the gas cap and running it. Manual or electric fuel pump? If electric is it mounted low near the tank? getting hot and quiting?

6. moter

moter

does it have a vacuum advance? If so disconnect the hose and see what happens. May have a bad breaker plate..or if electronic ignition may have a bad pickup.

7. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Filter, Regulator, tank vent blockage possibly?

8. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Probably starving it for fuel.

When it dies, hop out and see if your accelerator pump works. That will give you an indication of whether or not it's running the bowl empty.

Also, take a look at a plug right after it dies. I'll bet it's not black.

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

no, i'm not sure. but, i can tell you that when i first start it, and let it idle a minute or two, then floor the throttle, it will often quit running.

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

holley 2v. 2300 i think.

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

manual pump.

gets WORSE when hot. but always seems to want to quit when the throttle gets floored.

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

sounds like a fuel problem to me too...filter , pump, or float.... I hope you get it worked out.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

As stated before, can be a dirty gas tank and pick line is being blocked. Had this happen to me with a '47 Ford - replaced everything back to gas tank, same problem. Turns out that someone had used some gas tank sealer that partly came loose by pick up tube. Soon as I accelerated it died out, start right up and soon as I accelerated again conk out. Replaced gas tank and ran good for years.

14. I would say change the fuel filter! I have had the same problem before!

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

fuel lines look good. new-ish filter that flows well. filter is about 6 inches down line from carb. gas cap looks right. tank fill is behind passenger door, looks stock to me.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

also, it has a full tank of gas pumped yesterday. just fyi.

17. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccvance%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.5in .7in 1.0in .7in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> As said before, you can see if the accelerator pump is pumping fuel down the carb throat immediately after it dies, or you can install an inline plastic see-thru filter and watch to see if there is enough gas being pumped up. Sounds like it is gradually running out of fuel for some reason&#8230;. Clogged filter, restricted fuel line&#8230;

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good stuff to go on, guys. thanks. i'll let you know how i make out. i'm going to start with a new filter, and checking the lines again. oh, and i'll give the carb a knock with the handle of my screwdriver to see if the float is stuck too.

i'll check in again this evening when i have a chance to look at it after work.

19. JAWS

JAWS

Just for kicks, pull a plug.

Sounds like you are actually running out of gas, like a fuel pump is failing or clogged filter.

20. mtflat

mtflat

I had a clear plastic label off a can of something drifting on the bottom of my pickup tank once. Every so often it would float across the outlet and shut things down. Took a long time and a several tank removals before it floated out into the 5 gal bucket. FWIW

I vote with the rest on a fuel obstruction of some kind. Point of this is don't over look the odd stuff.

21. guiseart

guiseart

I had one jump timing on me that sounded like that... drove me nuts looking for fuel problems... check timing real quick?

22. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

does it stumble and then catch back up? if so its a carb issue, accelerator pump not giving it the juice it needs when you step on it.

if it just doesn't like extra throttle at all, then it could be starving for fuel

if its not a pump filter and fuel line issue, consider a carb rebuild, you could have issues with a float, gunked up fuel inlet valve a number of things

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is there a built in filter in the fuel inlet on the carb. My 77 Ford had a aftermarket filter I installed that filtered nothing. Screen Filter in the inlet fitting was almost pluged. Acted like yours. Pull it out and see if you can blow through it.

24. BinderRod

BinderRod

Did it run ok before you filled it? If it did you have water in the gas. Put a couple cans of heat in to take the water out

25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

if it was flooding you would smell it,i suspect flow problem also.wasnt the truck sitting for a while?ive got this two barrel looking for a home if its a fit.i know its a runner and it was given to me so i can give it again.bolt pattern3 3/4 across the front 2in front to rear.

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it has been sitting. about 6 months or so. i'll let you know if i can use it. i'lltake measurements. i'm gonna try the fuel filter thing first too.

27. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

My guess is lack of fuel.

Do you have one or two fuel filters on it? A lot of people forget about the filter IN the carb. It's usually behind the big nut where the fuel line hooks up.

It could be a pin hole in of the fuel lines. Climb under it and look at every inch of the fuel line from the tank to the carb. If there is a wet spot there is a hole. If fuel can get out, air can get in. I just had this problem on my beater truck. It had similar symtoms.

Good luck.

28. RatRod65GMC

RatRod65GMC

Mark,
    Sounds like you may have crap in the fuel tank. Had the same prob with my GMC when I first got it (first gear, second gear, third gear... die). Couldn't flow enough fuel to keep it running. REmoved and blasted all the sediment & rust out of the tank and never had that problem again.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

remember your idle circuit doesn't take much fuel, might be just enough getting through to let it idle but not enough to run, they sell a good diagnostic gauge from actron that measures both vaccume and fuel psi, it's pretty cheap,most auto parts stores have it. t it in and watch the gauge pressure when you hit the gas. that will tel you a lot.

30. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Sounds pretty typical of a cracked fuel line right at the tank.